Reefer Fridge

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 08:56
ThreadID: 30436 Views:4949 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all out there in E.O, Heaven,yep just another goddamn fridge Q.has anyone bought & tried any of the Reefer fridge, the ones with the Mitsubishi pump yeah i know the are a little expensive but if they do the job they claim to do then that is OK.just need +/- input thanks in advance. Bob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:33

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:33
I've got an older one, bought it second hand. It works very well but you need to run very heavy duty cable from the battery to the fridge and it weighs a ton even when empty which can make it awkward lifing in and out of the car.
It's very well constructed though, you'll never have problems with bit falling off it or getting damaged.
AnswerID: 153073

Reply By: thomjor - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:40

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:40
We have had a Liemack[former name for these] 50lt st model for 7 years now & to date have had no problems. It has travelled around 30,000 ks in the rear of our d/cab & has been used here at home a fair bit. I use it to snap freeze as it comes down to temp very quickly. You can also ring the manufacturer here in SAus if you need any other advice.
AnswerID: 153076

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:51

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:51
I've got the 70 litre Dual Temp (separate freezer) Vertical (front opening). 'They' say the Reefer uses a bit more power, but I don't notice as I have enough battery capacity. Suspect many people are talking about the old Liemark. Although Reefer took over Liemark, and the fridges look similar, the Reefer is substantially different as I understand it.

Anyway, I find the Reefer to be great. Excellent controller comes with the fridge with temp gauge, voltmeter and diagnostic system built in. Great compressor. Freezes ice, meat etc as quickly as your home fridge. Stainless steel interior, powdercoat steel outside. Stainless steel hinges. So yes, it does cost a bit more than the plastic ones.

Reefer supplied enough 10mm cable with the fridge to run from the battery (in engine bay) to the back of the Hilux.

Just my experience. Owners of any other brand will say their's is good too. And they are probably right. Depends what you are after.
AnswerID: 153114

Follow Up By: roofscooter2 - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:32

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:32
Norm thanks for your valid input is there somewhere in the s.e corner of Q.L.D to buy or must i buy from S.A.thanks again & to all others for your input.BoB.
FollowupID: 407119

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:51

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:51
I got mine from Nerang Camping and Disposals on the Gold Coast, but there will be other outlets around.

Ring Refrigeration Research on (08) 8398 3224. Or email them on:
fridge@bigpond.net.au
I've found them very helpful. They will be able to tell you who their retailers are in your area.

I've dealt with Tony Boyd (think he owns or manages the business), and he has been very good. I was having some minor trouble with understanding some diagnostic messages on the controller a couple of weeks go. Rang them at about 6.00pm Adelaide time. Tony was very helpful. Rang me back so that he would be paying for the call, not me. Spent 10 or 15 minutes or so talking me through stuff on the controller so he could run diagnostics.
FollowupID: 407225

Follow Up By: roofscooter2 - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:45

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:45
hi Norm thanks again for your info i am only 15 minutes from Nerang so might wander in one day when i am not working .bob.
FollowupID: 407319

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 14:30

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 14:30
I can second Norm's fridge..... it's a ripper!
AnswerID: 153134

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:15

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:15
What are your questions?

I had a 50 Litre Liemack Dual Temp and I traded up...
I now use a 70 Litre Reefer "Premier" Dual Temp :-)

If I thought ANY another fridge at all was superior "for my use" I would use it.

I use the Mitsubishi compressor for a valid reason !!

It’s the best compressor - PERFORMANCE wise available, and that can actually be proven by asking any qualified fridge mechanic, who is aware of the technical specifications of the various compressors available, the relevant questions about compressor efficiency, the numbers don’t lie….

Yes, other fringes may use less power, but they can't freeze as fast or as low!!
I also happen to believe Stainless steel is superior to plastic!!

This is going to be a long thread with arguments from some people who have never used or even seen the "Premier" fridge, but they will tell you they know best because they just know best, ask them when they come along if they have used a "Premier" fridge? or if they are just biased and have read somewhere but can't remember or post any relevant and provable facts, as the "Premier" is totally different to the Liemack what is said about one is not relevant to the other, like comparing an EvaKool with a Waeco.. almost.
AnswerID: 153176

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:48

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:48
the majority of people couldn't give a poop if thier fridge didn't freeze as fast or as low as a ......what was it called again?......as long as all the beer and perishables are cold. If my engle got pinched tomorrow i'd prob just by something else for a change. At the end of the day they all cool ya beer.

Leroy
FollowupID: 407124

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 22:23

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 22:23
Leroy, I accept what you say is good information, however because some people spend so much time in the hot far north area's and need to freeze freshly caught fish fillets etc as quick as possible to maintain flavour, the Premier does that without a problem while the fridge section still remains at 3 degrees average.

For those that don't need really quick or extremely low temperature freezing, as you say just about any fridge would do the job of keeping all the beer and perishables cold, it's just a matter of how cold and for how long!!

There is a place and requirement for both ends of the scale.
FollowupID: 407136

Follow Up By: roofscooter2 - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:51

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:51
leroy i couln't give a rats arse about bloody beer or any alcahol all i need is a fridge that works for me & that is all that matters.ok
FollowupID: 407321

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:55

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:55
scooter,

'as long as all the beer and perishables are cold'

It's disappointing you don't give a rats about a beer you can substitute beer for softdrink, ice tea, or even water if you like!

My point being they all fridges basically do the job.

Leroy
FollowupID: 407711

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 13:48

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 13:48
Opinions are varied, as can be seen from this (hijacked) thread.

It's obvious from reading this thread that some people don't have a genuine "Fridge/Freezer" and I would suggest they don't use a second fridge as a stand alone 'freezer' when travelling, possibly because it would be a some-what power extreme feat and would also take up valuable space.

Therefore they don't have the ability to have 'frozen' food at hand when required, or more helpfully to actually "freeze" the food purchased or ‘caught’ on the trip.

Any fridge will "basically do the job" - IF the job is to only keep food 'cold' when compared to the ambient temperature, and this is ok for a weekend or even maybe a week, but an extended holiday trip is another situation again.

If you use a freezer at home - why do you ‘not’ need it when on holidays?

After all you still need to buy & store food when travelling, and generally many weeks in advance, because supermarkets are a long distances apart in the bush.
Is it because guys buy the fridge because they consider it’s a bloke thing, and don’t bother to ask for advice from the better half/cook :-)

Scenario;
If you have a single cabinet fridge capable of "basically doing the job" and you were offered a couple of large 7.5 Kg fillets of fresh 'fish' caught in the lower Ord, what would you say, sorry cant accept them because they will go off before I get the opportunity to eat them, or would you take them and dump them when they go all slimy because you could not keep them cold enough, or better still - frozen?
FollowupID: 407737

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:04

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:04
Just don't EVER confuse it with a Liemack!
AnswerID: 153203

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:57

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:57
I have a 90lt DTV in the Camper. It's 6 months old and at the moment is sitting on the bench with a blown Motor Driver. Am waiting for a call back from the makers on what setup the wiring is and a new one will be dispached Express Post.

It is the updated version (out of date in 6 months) and should control all aspects of the fridge operation a lot better. ie fan will run if fridge gets over 50 degrees whether compressor is running or not, use less power etc.

To date very happy with it, but lucky it stopped before I started my 4 month trip end of May.
AnswerID: 153297

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:12

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:12
Hi Tony, I see you have a Coota Camper. I think the Reefer comes standard wiht their 'top of the line' models. Is that right?
FollowupID: 407231

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:55

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:55
G'day Norm, the 90 lt DTV fridge is an optional extra.

The space is made for it, but a fridge slide could be used with some other type of fridge. The good thing about the Reefer is that its plugged into both 240v and 12v and selects what ever power is available.
FollowupID: 407243

Follow Up By: roofscooter2 - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:55

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:55
hi tony sorry your's has failed,but glad they are looking after you.thanks for your input & enjoy your Reefer trip or is that a desert trip ,enjoy it anyway.bob.
FollowupID: 407324

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:36

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:36
Bob, those that are fortunate enough to use the Reefer Premier all appear to be very pleased from the replies posted, and those who are attempting to use the depressing and negative knocker attitude…. well as you can see they don't have one, and yes probably have never even seen one.

Would that be because they are envious of those privileged enough to own one?

Remember if a fridge will not do the job as claimed by the manufacturer, the unhappy purchaser would be here telling you just that, so far no “legitimate” despondent owners have emerged, and when they do there is always an easy method of verifying the ownership of the Reefer Premier :-)

Yes, they are a little more expensive compared to a plastic & no frills fridge, but they will do the job as claimed !!

Mainey...
AnswerID: 153423

Follow Up By: roofscooter2 - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:24

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:24
hi Mainey, totaly agree there.unlike a lot of people in this world i don't drink intoxicating beverages but that is my choice i do not need it (the fridge)to keep that cold i need it to keep my fags cold for when i have done a hard day at the wheel of my f250 4by somewhere out there in ozland to put my feet up,and have a couple of cool fags. lol.thank again Mainey.
FollowupID: 407362

Sponsored Links