Notebook battery

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 08:36
ThreadID: 3050 Views:2137 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
After many months of research and deliberation I finally bought a Notebook. Have installed a 150w Pure sinewave inverter from Jaycar in the truck. Everything works well. At this stage I run the Notebook off AC power most of the time. The technician at the computer assembly plant, whom I have been dealing with, has advised that I should remove the battery if I use AC power most of the time as this will extend the life of the battery. I would appreciate any thoughts on this as I am not keen to have the battery lie loose in the carry bag.
Cheers, W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:35

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:35
Willem if your battery is a Lilon battery, removing it is likely to cause more issues than leaving it there.
LiIon batteries should not be allowed to sit unused for periods longer than a month maximum, as this will increase deterioration of the power cells. The effective battery life of LiIon batteries is about 1000 cycles maximum, or around 2 years and at very best if you are lucky 3 years.

What type of battery do you have fitted. It should be on the battery or in the instruction manual.
AnswerID: 11670

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:06

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:06
Hi Ozi, Yes the battery is a 14.8volt Li-Ion. I bought the Notebook in November and have drained the battery every 30 days as per instructions from the manual. This battery only lasts about 2 hours before it needs recharging. The Notebook has been back for a warranty job on the WinDVD player. I have a Combo set and the DVD player would not operate. They replaced the drive, uninstalled WinDVD software and loaded PowerDVD. I notice now,however, that the sound quality is not very good on some DVD's and I have been told that that is probably due to operating on Windows 98. CD sound quality is good however. It is all a big learning curve.
Thanks for your response. Cheers,W
FollowupID: 6608

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 14:51

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 14:51
Willem Win98 should not be an issue at all. Have you downloaded and installed the free Update from the Microsoft website of their Media Player. It is now up to about version 9 and is substantially improved.

2 hours is about average from a laptop battery. Batteries in laptops are always a pain. Fortunatly today I use my iPaq WindowsCE mainly which gives me all day on battery.
FollowupID: 6615

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:21

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:21
Thanks Ozi, I will check out the Media Player. Cheers, W
FollowupID: 6639

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:07

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:07
Charging a laptop battery constantly isn't real good for it, and neither is letting it sit idle. Best top unplug the power every now and then and let it cycle a bit. 2 hours isn't bad. Win98 on a new laptop????????

I'm considering ordering the 150W sinewave inverter from jaycar to save running the 500W one for such a small load.
AnswerID: 11700

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:18

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:18
Thanks Nigel. Yes I ordered Windows 98 because I am used to it and the newer Windows applications have features that I do not need. So I am happy with the 'kero' model:-) Cheers,W
FollowupID: 6638

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:28

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:28
Willem you are not on your lonesome here. I never thought I would ever go back to an older version of Windows.

But yes, I did, put Win98SE on my laptop. All the software I have is basically industrial software, some a tad old, but all if it runs better with less trouble and faster with Win98SE.
FollowupID: 6640

Sponsored Links