Any 4wding around Imbil (qld) area

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:49
ThreadID: 30507 Views:9560 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Heading off to Imbil (qld) for a few days and wanted to know if anyone knew of any easy to medium tracks close by we could play on.
Cheers
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 08:25

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 08:25
John, I guess you want to try out the 'new toy' . A few from here went up to imbil state forest[permit] they might come on & tell u more, otherwise 'landcruiser park' a bit further sth. not sure where your comin from,but thats set up to' test 'your skills.
google 'landcruiser park' hope this helps, let me know where u decide to go ..
Phil
AnswerID: 153541

Reply By: Scoey - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:12

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:12
Hi Od,
They had an article on the Great South East (I think) about a month ago on Amamoor State Forest in the Upper Mary Valley. From the vision they had some nice 4X4ing tracks (read: more senic than tricky) but a couple of medium bits were there. I haven't been myself but from what I hear from others also it's not too bad. It's just north of Imbil so pretty handy to where you're going too apparently not far from the Gympie Muster site?

I'll also vouch for Landcruiser Park. I was a bit put off before I went there for the first time thinking it was just for hardcore 4X4er's but not the case. It has tracks for all levels and a really good place to test a new truck or to develop new skills!

Have fun and if you go to Amamoor, let us know what you think! ;-)

Cheers,
Scoey!
AnswerID: 153549

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:21

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:21
Have a look in Trips/Gatherings - there should be a report in there about Imbil on Australia Day weekend.
AnswerID: 153553

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:56

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:56
Hi Oz

Dirty Weekends in South East Queensland..

This book covers that area, and has one in an area called Yabba. Plenty of other interesting trips as well.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 153562

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:37

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:37
If you are staying in Imbil then Landcruiser Park will be the way to go. It's about a hour drive or so from Imbil I think. They have some awesome tracks there and then some easy tracks as well to muck around on.

Have fun
AnswerID: 153582

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:45

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:45
If you find any good tracks around the area we are certainly wanting TrekNote submissions. If you are interested please email us info@exploroz.com.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 153587

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 18:36

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 18:36
Cheers all
Know about LC Mtn Park but we haven't got anything tied down in the back yet, no cargo system - there's 2 batts, gear and the fridge etc sliding around so we'll have to take it easy and stick to Forest Tracks etc. Just going to give her a shake down and give the winch a test.
Thks for the replys.
John
AnswerID: 153673

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:47

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:47
G day John,
If you go to the Borumba Deer Farm, about 100mtrs before the entry on the nthn side of the rd you will find an entry to imbil state forest.
We only covered the western part of it near the fire tower as it was the second day that we went there and didn't leave camp till about midday, found some stuff that was not too tough an standard vehicles but gave them a bit of a workout, nothing where you would need a winch, but as I said, we didn't cover a lot of area and it was also raining at the time which kept us from getting up some of the tracks that looked like they could lead to some fun.
Going by what we found I'd say there is a good chance you will find some reasonable stuff in other parts of the forest, Trevor had a good map of the area, not sure where he got it from, I got a 1:50th toppo for Kenilworth from Wide World Of Maps for 9 bucks. BTW I wouldn't bother with Kenilworth s/f, we spent near a whole day in there a coudn't find anything worthwhile.
Not sure where you plan on staying but we found it good as it was only a few minutes from the caravan/camping grounds at the deer farm.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but as I said, we only spent a few hrs in Imbil s/f, and also it's hard to explain as diferent people have differing opinions on what "medium 4wding" is.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 153690

Follow Up By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:25

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:25
thks very much Pezza
that's a great help. We'll do the Imbil one I'd say.

John
FollowupID: 407598

Follow Up By: Patrick - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:46

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:46
Ozdyssey,

I agree totally with Pezza's comments. Our 4WD club, Moreton Districts Off-road spends a lot of time in that area around Imbil as it offers a huge variety of tracks and conditions to test all levels of driver and vehicles. It is magic country that has to be seen to be believed. Rainforest abounds with an abundance of wildlife that changes at every bend. Being a working forestry area, the main tracks are also used by logging trucks which can be a bit menacing when uncounted on a blind corner. It tracks do becomes extremely slippery after even the lightest rain so always drive with caution. We had one of our vehicles roll over after a light shower due to the glassy conditions.

Remember, who will need national park permits to traverse the forestry trails.

Our favourite place to stay is at the Borumba Dam which is just a couple of kilometres further on from the Deer Park. It is operated by the same people as the Deer Park, June and Rick Gibson who can be contacted on (07) 5484 5796. They have a great couple who caretake for them (Bob & Dawn) and the overnight prices are excellent around $7-8 per person per night. BBQ timber supplied.

Also, don’t discount the Kenilworth area as there are some brilliant tracks for all levels behind the Charlie Moreland reserve. See the ranger station for info as this area has a lot to offer the 4WDer.

Hope this helps with your question.

Cheers,

Patrick
FollowupID: 407634

Follow Up By: Patrick - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:52

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:52
Ozdyssey,

I meant to ask when you intend to travel to Imbil as we are staying at Borumba Dam on the weekend of Feb 17/18/19 and the club is there the following weekend?

Cheers,

Patrick
FollowupID: 407636

Sponsored Links