Diff Lcokers for 100 Series

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:51
ThreadID: 30543 Views:3575 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Am thinking of Air Lockers for the cruiser possibly and was wondering what experience peopel had with ARB or the new TJM Pro Locker, i think it is.

Also have those of you who put them put them front or back and or both. My understanding is that the LSD in the Cruiser is not that great, at least according to my mates who drive Nissan Patrols.

Any info appreciated.

Regards,

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:11

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:11
Hi Mark, the Toyo LSD is cactus after a while. Have no news about the TJM product, but friends swear by their ARB lockers.
Personally, for 3 grand I'd ask myself if I really wanted my vehicle to go there :)))
AnswerID: 153754

Reply By: fozzy - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:43

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:43
mark
your mates are right about rear lsd in cruisers-they used to be lucky to still be functioning properly after 20k. Nissans diffs are much better in strength and durability. maybe toyota have improved their lsd lately-someone else can comment there. i put f/r arb lockers in 04 td cruiser and they help at times. still doesnt mean you can go anywhere. It is surprising how eay it is to get a 100 series stuck and is also surprising what they can actually do.
depending on how much off rd and what sort of driving you do-but i can recommend them and they work well in mine. initially had problems with installation-bad batch of seals-ok now and in 80 series had problems with air compressor cple of times. darren from geelong 4wd/tyre place ATS4wd or similar) has advice for front locker to help improve strength of front diff in 100 which is weak and tendency to break-extra spacer or something(sorry cant remember exactly what it was)
also on trails/slippery stuff lockers can reduce strain on bits and improve traction
good luck
cheers
fozzy
AnswerID: 153780

Reply By: OMN - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:21

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:21
Thanks for the info so far guys. Yes have had all of the horror stories abotu the front diffs, yet have not yet met anyone who has broken one on my minimal travels.

As for taking the car to too hard a places have no desire to damage the vehicle or push it too far, give it a reasonalbe workout mainly vic high country, but have got stuck a couple of times with wheels turnign due to angles and gettign them airborne.

Very annoying when the mate with the Patrol simply goes over it because his rear LSD keeps driving the car while mine spins.

Only way to get out of these places is to retreat, get a bigger run up, snatch strap or winch. Figured puttign an air locker in would get me through some of this stuff it has struggled on a couple of times a lot quicker and with less risk to all and sundry.

As for cost, yep limiting factor and why after two years i have still not done it as the nubmer of times it has been needed is minimal, but then again same situation with the winch for most people but invaluable when you do need it.

Mark
AnswerID: 153786

Reply By: fatz - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:26

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:26
Mark,
Have ARB's fitted front and rear and find them very useful. Very different handeling off road when they are both turned on and take a little getting used to.
You are correct about the factory LSD, however they are a servicable unit. Is yours a solid axel or an IFS model?
If you are getting quotes make sure they include carrier bearings, wheel bearings and so on in the quote, you may not need them depending on the kays you have done, but at least you wont get any suprise when they hand you the bill!
It is also worth asking if they fit a "soild pinion spacer" as opposed to the standard collapsable toyota one. This will add some extra strength to the diffs. they are about $140 each.

Mick
AnswerID: 153788

Reply By: OMN - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:53

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:53
Thanks Mick,

Mine is an IFS model and if i get to the point of orderign them, which knowing me i will, i will mention the items you have just reffered to even thgouh i haven't got a clue what your talkign about, well not quite that bad but i certainly wouldn't attempt it myself for example.

Mark
AnswerID: 153794

Follow Up By: Turbo Diesel - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:09

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:09
OMN, father in law has a fully equiped ARB 100 series, i mean 30 grands worth of accerories. Looks great and goes great, what is pretty cool about his 100 is that all the products come from the one shop so eveything looks like it is coordinated. As regards the lockers they are unreal, take a look at the 100 series in the ARB/4WD Monthly Dvd's and see how they go, they are unreal, Toyota really have proven that you can have a comfortable car that can perform off road. As far as the rear Toyota diff is concerned well their not that bad its just that nissan make a better one thats all. As far as the lockers are concerned check out TJM they are claming their new pro lockers is far better than the ARB air locker, there are ads in the 4x4 australia mags i think showing the difference. I would put lockers in both the front and rear, if you can only afford one put it in the rear of a cruiser, if it was a nissan i would put it in the front. Nissan will bring their new patrol out this year sometime with IFS so it will be interesting to see how they go, I think they may even be constant 4wd so that will mean no doubt a smaller front diff on the patrols as well. Toyota are still selling more cruisers than Nissan so I would stick with the Cruisers, plus if you put a rear locker in it wont matter one bit how good your real LSD was. All the best.
FollowupID: 407707

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:51

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:51
"Toyota really have proven that you can have a comfortable car that can perform off road".......provided you spend another $30000 on accessories...what the?????

AnswerID: 153808

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:42

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:42
"Toyota really have proven that you can have a comfortable car that can perform off road"
Thats $80k for a turbo diesel on the road plus $30k accessories to make it reliable and go where it should have gone in the first place.
Toyota are advertising 05 Turbos for $66k drive away up here maybe even they are loosing faith in the product. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 407721

Sponsored Links