IT experts help required

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:54
ThreadID: 30546 Views:1553 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I know this is not really the place to post this but I'm sure there are some IT experts among the users here who might be able to help. I seem to have lost the ability to open links from emails. This is really annoying because when I get a message from EO, I can't open the link to view the post on line. Also, I can't logon to my laptop with the wireless card inserted. Pop the card out and no problems. I have run updated virus and no adware scanners an system is clean. I'm using MS Explorer and Outlook Express.

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: arthurking83 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 00:17

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 00:17
Hi Melissa,

I'm no IT expert ;-)...... and I will never, ever!! use Outlook Express ever again! :(
.... But!! in the "Tools->Options" section of the toolbar, check in the "Security" tab, and look for the tick where it says....

"Block Images and other external content in HTML email"

If this is ticked, you will get the symptoms you have described.

As for the login problem....well you may need some REAL! IT professional help!
But a better description may be in order.

When you say "can't logon", does that mean you don't get a logon prompt, or the password is not accepted?

I'm assuming you have WindowsXP (home? Pro?). The Laptop make/model? The wireless card is made by.....?

etc!
AnswerID: 153760

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 00:47

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 00:47
Thanks Arthur, unfortunately I can't find the "Block Images and other external content in HTML email" criteria you speak of. FYI I'm using Outlook Express V.6, XP home. Laptop is NEC Versa M400, wireless card is Netgear. All been working well until last few days. Re logon, I get a prompt and put in password etc which is accepted but then system just stalls and nothing happens. Pop out the wireless card and away it goes. Once everything is up, pop the wireless card back in and all works fine except for OE problem which I honestly don't think is strictly related. This latter problem isn't a huge concern because its annoying but otherwise functions well.

FollowupID: 407672

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:21

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:21
running XP?
do a restore to an earlier date..one when it was working properly.
AnswerID: 153775

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:40

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:40
Melissa,

In the tools menu (in Outlook Express), select Options at the bottom.

You should see a stack of tabs (General, Read, Receipt, etc etc)

On the Read tab, there is a "Read all messages in plain text" option. Make sure this is un-ticked as this will strip all HTML formating from an email.

On the Security Tab, as previously mentioned earlier by Arthur, there is a "Block Images and other external content in HTML e-mail" option. I dont think this will have an impact, but if the above "Read all messages in plain text" doesn't work, give that a try.

regards,
Sam.
AnswerID: 153779

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:26

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:26
Thanks Sam, I'd already checked this but not the problem. This one's got me baffled but it will probably be something easy :-|.

FollowupID: 407708

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:51

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:51
I had the same happen I let david know at exp oz and I think he fixed it dont know how.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 153782

Reply By: fox - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:15

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:15
Hi Melissa,
Mr NudeNut....er...Member No1 gave you good advise...If your computer was all working properly on say Tuesday last week and then started giving trouble on Wednesday...then do a "System Restore" to Tuesday's date as this will restore the same working conditions you had on Tuesday and you won't lose any new work that you have done....This has saved our bacon many times..

Go to System Tools from the Start menu and select System Restore and then restore system to an earlier date and then follow the prompts.

HTH
Rick
AnswerID: 153898

Sponsored Links