The cost of fuel

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:10
ThreadID: 30551 Views:1697 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

Given the understandable discussion on the cost of fuel these days and talking to some of those on a fixed income trying to see our great country.
I have been wondering what it would take (price wise) to change the travelling habits of those who frequent this site or would you not change no matter what the price of fuel.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:42

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:42
Fossil fuel is my drug of choice.

It costs what it costs. I don't like it being pricey and I have very expensive taste but there's not much I can do about it so why worry?

Got to say though, I'm steadily becoming more and more of a convert to LPG. Never been a big fan of the stuff in the past but my 105 came with it already fitted and I gotta say it puts a smile - no...less of a frown on my dial every time I fill up.
AnswerID: 153813

Follow Up By: Member - laura B (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:44

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:44
have you seen the whatsy in one of the 4wd mags about diesel/lpg...apparently the 2 are mixed together.....

got an 80 on lpg..wouldnt have bought the thing if it wasnt on lpg!! it costs less to run it compared to the futura!! nice!!
Laura B

HAPPY INSIDE WHEN IM OUTSIDE
FollowupID: 407746

Reply By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:42

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:42
I am gearing up for my next trip. Conservative cost for vehicle, equipment and supplies $60,000. Resale value probably $40,000 today. Cost of fuel to cover distance $1800. You do the percentage math. I think fuel is just the popular focus (media winge). Fuel could double but I won't be staying home.
AnswerID: 153814

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:53

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:53
Yeah some of us don't have the luxury of having $60,000 and $20k to lose on resale.

For us it has impacted us in a huge way. We had an entire DVD of video with music I compiled for 2004 of the places we went camping. Last year was a little hampered by the arrival of my daughter, but this year looks to be very dismal and it's all down to the cost of fuel. I've only been camping twice this year and they were both within 150k's of home. If you want to explore WA, you need to do k's. K's cost too much money for us with a young family and me studying full time now. But bugger me if I'm not still going to go to these close places, maybe I've been there 100 times before, but I'll go back. I have to go somewhere, otherwise I get grumpy and irritable.
FollowupID: 407724

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:00

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:00
I choose not to own a house in favour of other lifestyle options. You cannot have everything. It comes down to choice.
FollowupID: 407726

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:19

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:19
Good on you for that choice too! We are struggling like buggery at the moment, but what we have done was a life style choice too and there is a light at the end of the tunnel we just have to suck it in and keep pressing on in the mean time.

We are very lucky in that we bought our house before the market went APE over here so we are paying less for our morgtage than we would be renting this place. Only paid $150k for this place 4 years ago (man you eastern staters must be weeping over that!!) LOL

Funny though cos it's nice to think "WOW we could sell it and double our money!!". But what are you going to do with it? Buy another house for more? Not exactly going to help much is it! ;-)

FollowupID: 407727

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:59

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:59
Congratulations, I think you are doing well and making good choices. I have been there and done that (I couldn't afford big trips then either). I am no longer interested in that lifestyle. My choices have changed.

Getting off topic a bit.

My point is, if your choice is to travel, unless you are going to do it as a 'swaggie', the overall costs involved for comfort, safety, and maintenance far outweigh the overall costs for fuel. Fuel seems to attract far more attention in the equation than it deserves. Maybe it is because the cost comes in dribs & drabs rather than big hits, or the fuel doesn't last like tyres, fridges, vehicle, etc, However their collective depreciation is probably greater than the fuel costs.
FollowupID: 407730

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 13:12

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 13:12
Yeah I hear you. I guess the thing that get's to me is when we planned this whole thing that we are doing now I kitted out the 4by, got all the good camping gear had it all setup while we had money so that we could still travel, holiday etc on our then soon to be tight budget. (we had a 5 year plan). The only real expense would be some minor maintence and FUEL. Of course now I've got this awsome setup sitting in the driveway which I can barley afford to take the kids to school in!! DOH!! It's just a little frustraing. I put $20 in the take today. That used to give me about 20L, today barley 15. It doesn't sound like much, but it's amazing how much it adds up when your on a budget. And these crappy 4c per L doovas are a drop in the ocean. WOW I pay a $1.27 instead, WOOHOO! Doesn't even save me enough to buy a coffe chill on a whole tank. Oh well, it's a sign of the times. Johnny ain't going to do much about it cos he's making too much money from it, the oil companies are going to becuase (as we've all seen recently) they are making BILLIONS out of it. So, it might be time to start buying home brand vegi oil and mixing it 50/50... Probally be fine in the summer and if I can get it for $1 per litre, might be worth considering...
FollowupID: 407731

Follow Up By: Member - ROTORD - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:16

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:16
Hello Jeff M

I have been where you are financially, in fact it's a common situation for young marrieds who dont have rich parents . Suggestion to progress is not to sell the house , but to invest the increased equity you have . With the deposit you payed , loan repayments for four years , and the big increase in value , you must have in excess of $150,000 to play with . One scenario would be to visit country towns looking for posotively geared investment properties. That is , you borrow against the value of the house you own , and the house you are buying , so there is no cash required for a deposit . The loan repayments are 8.8% and to be posotively geared the net rent has to cover the loan repayments . The advice of a licenced investment advisor is vital , but your bank could help there .
FollowupID: 407738

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:20

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:20
Just keep going. Eventually (seems forever LOL) you suddenly realise your on the other side.
FollowupID: 407740

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:26

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:26
Yeah thanks guys, it's always hard when your income takes a big backwards step, especially with the extra costs of a new bub, but it'll be ok, we have some wins in the future with the missus work so that should be good. Once I get my teaching degree we will deffinatally be looking in some nice country towns, we can ship around a bit with my work if we want or I can just relief in the city for a while. If we find a teaching job somewhere nice like bridgtown, pemberton, busso, or something like that in the future we might just pack it all up, get a few achers and bugger off, but time will tell with that one!! Will all be good either way!!
FollowupID: 407743

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:27

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:27
Hi Jeff,

Good luck with your studies. Hubby and I were both full-time adult students and our income was pathetic during that time although we did enjoy it and still managed a few cheap trips here and there. But there is light at the end of the tunnel so stick with it. It only took us two years after graduation to recoup our lost income and even though we both still have student loans to pay back we are streets ahead and doing things we never thought possible.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 407760

Reply By: Scoey - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:51

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:51
Hi Wim, interesting topic!

I think it comes down to what price do you put on the lifestyle? To some people the lifestyle may not be worth that much! To me, it's priceless - just takes longer to save up for a trip these days.

Actually, come to think of it, if the part time camper numbers start dwindling because of fuel prices then frankly I can see an up side! ;-) Don't get me wrong, I mean everyone should be able to see this amazing country we have here but some people just shouldn't be in the bush if you know what I mean?

Cheers

Scoey.
AnswerID: 153816

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:22

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:22
This is one way to look at it:
Say your round trip was going to be 10000kms. and as in my case I average 7.5km/l then Iwill be using 1333litres of diesel.Say the increase in cost of diesel over the year was 0.30c/l (about right) then my fuel cost will be an extra $400. Although no one likes paying more for anything the extra $400 won,t stop me doing a big trip. I think the big increase in c/litre makes you loose perspective of the actual overall cost of the trip.-----only my opinion!
AnswerID: 153824

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:46

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:46
I think it comes down to lifestyle choice. I would rather live in a smaller place and use crappy stuff at home and put the money into the Patrol. The cost of Hotels will go up and so will air travel, how much will it cost you to stay in a hotel for the duration of your trip.....it will still be allot cheaper to camp and drive the truck.

I am not married with kids yet so I can't 100% relate but I don't earn top dollar either. I was on the habits ages ago to put money away every week for the car even if it was only $20

I only have the Patrol and that's my work car and play car. I spend roughly $150 a week on fuel just to work and back so I have been thinking about getting a little 4 banger and spend as little as possible on the second car to get me from A to B during the week.

Just my thoughts
AnswerID: 153827

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 13:15

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 13:15
Yeah while I was working (70km round trip to work and back) I had a little 3cyl banger from my mum to drive, saved me and ARM and a LEG and didn't wear out the MTR's and put miles on the 4by. Not a bad solution really.

Yeah that's what we have been trying to do, put the $20 a week aside. It's been a little hard for us since Christmas, but we are starting to get our heads back above water and will start doing it again ASAP.
FollowupID: 407732

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:55

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:55
The cost of fuel is a consideration. It is however only a fraction of the cost of running a motor vehicle.

If you want to travel and enjoy this beautiful country you have to pay for it.

I still like to moan about the fuel prices. If i didn't have something to complain about I wouldn't be happy.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 153933

Sponsored Links