TravRoute CoPilot software

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 15:47
ThreadID: 30562 Views:1954 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Has anyone had any experience with TravRoute CoPilot software. I am looking for voice guidance nav software which can operate on a laptop. So far the CoPilot 8 is the only one I have come across on the net. I can’t find any worthwhile reviews on it either.
What I really want to know is if it gives accurate directions in cities and if the mapping includes little traveled country roads and tracks. I plan to get OziExplorer for “off the beaten track” but would like a voice guided system that is accurate in town and would take us as far as possible on rarely used back roads before bringing Qzi into play.
If the CoPilot software is mainly for city use or is full of glitches I would appreciate alternative suggestions, but not PDA software.

Cheers,
Doodle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:15

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:15
Hi Doodle,

I have been running the co-pilot software (ver 7) since January 2005.

I initially purchased as I moved to QLD, and did not know my way around.

I have since been using it in my old stomping ground of NSW as I have been travelling their for work commitments.

Overall I have found the software to be excellent, with the following comments:

- You need a fast computer to run the software. I previously had a PIII 700 laptop, and found it was too slow to run the software effectly. I upgraded to a 2GIG speed laptop, and the software works great.

- The problem with a slow computer is if you need to do a lot of turns down different streets, the software will not read the database fast enough to inform you of the next turn. Usually you will have driven past the required street turn.

- Software is very good at recalculating directions if you take a wrong turn. It recalobrates your position and determines the best route again.

- Voice navigation is great once you get used to the terminology

- Excellent for tracking your trip, and inporting into Oziexplorer at a later stage to review trip

- The software sometimes has the suburb borders different to your UBD street directory.

Overall, I have been very happy with the software.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions you may have

Thanks

TonyG
AnswerID: 153858

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:52

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:52
Doodle

We have the TravRoute CoPilot software running on a Dell Latitude.
GPS is flash card type.
I have now got a FM transmitter to have the directions over the radio.
I find the speakers on the laptop not good enough.
Very happy with the software. Most roads seem to be there.
Use ozi when we need more detail.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 153864

Reply By: Doodle - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 17:19

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 17:19
Thanks for your positive comments. My laptop is a few years old – a Pentium III if I remember correctly, but it’s no slouch.
Wim, when you say “Most roads seem to be there”, does this include country roads?

Thanks,
Doodle
AnswerID: 153875

Reply By: Redback - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 18:16

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 18:16
From memory i don't think CoPilot covers country tracks, i know Navman does as thats what we run, with Navman SmartST we found in most state forests and National parks we don't need to run OziExplorer, SmartST covers all the tracks.

Baz.
AnswerID: 153880

Reply By: silverback - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:26

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:26
Doodle
we have co pilot on our lap top
ver 8 its grouse for citys and on most
country roads and towns. Ver 7 is
useful as a ashtray on a motor bike
but find ver 8 ok
AnswerID: 153901

Reply By: silverback - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:31

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:31
Hi doodle
We have ver 8 co pilot on our laptop its really good coverage even in country towns.Had ver 7 it was as useful as a ashtray on a motor bike.Ver 8 is OK
AnswerID: 153903

Follow Up By: Doodle - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:55

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:55
Thanks,
I had reports that version 7 wasn't all that reliable, hence my question ref CoPilot 8. That's good news, and if more country roads are supported - even better. Navman sounds like a complete package but I understand it is only for a PDA.

Is the CoPilot ver 8 a simple program to use? I'd like to get the better half involved. Can I set it up so a destination can be located in very few key strokes in a user friendly way? Forget about POI's, alarms etc., just a real easy method to get from point A to point B.

Cheers,
Doodle
FollowupID: 407800

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:32

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:32
Run Copilot Live 6 (little brother to copilot 8 on a laptop) on an asus A636 PDA, 400mhz cpu, 128mb memory, mobile 5. Inbuilt GPS.
Decide to go this way because there isn't much room in the front of the Pajero for the wife and a laptop.
(I am keeping out of that one, no correspondence entered into.)
Runs fine.

All PDAs seem to have problems with brightness of the screen when dash mounted. Just readable. My laptop isn't too good either. Whats your like when in the front of the car, easy to read?

It is a little slow in the intersections, still telling me to turn as I am in the intersection, and it seems to be about 20 metres out. But I do get the 250m and 50m warnings.

Does recalculate reasonably well.

The 'where am I' mode is useful, even if you are not following instructions. More detailed maps around towns that Oziexplorer.

Wife enjoys it, since it backs her up on the turns. I can't argue when I miss a turn.
"See, the toy said turn here, and you didn't!"
Thinking of loading the female voice and calling it Jan.
Then can say "not happy Jan" when it goes into recalculate mode after I do the wrong thing.

Latest maps seem good, based on latest whereis software and mapping. So if in doubt about maps check the wheris site.

Will have to play with the config, it seems to like side streets. Will turn up the highway selection and turn down the side streets.
Found one error up the back of Townsville, where it said to turn and it was really a straight on. Obvious when there though. Will have to fill in the report form on the web site one day.

By the way, map updates are $200.00 I am told, not free.

Use oziexplorer CE as well and the two complement each other.

Like any software, it is not perfect.
AnswerID: 154021

Follow Up By: Doodle - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:44

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:44
Hi Oldplodder,
The Asus A636 PDA looked to be a reasonable system and I agree that the laptop is too cumbersome in the front of the vehicle. Viewing in the 4x4 is not great on bright days, but I plan to invest in a smaller (+-7”) touch screen so the laptop will be out of the way.

After reading all the replies I have come to a decision. I think I will get the simplest in car nav system for city use (probably Garmin C320). I will then set up a hand held GPS (eTrex Legend) for the laptop with Ozi controlled on a dash mounted touch screen. Having 2 systems is not the cheapest route but as far as I can tell there isn’t one on the market to satisfy all requirements.

I appreciate everyone’s comments. You have been a big help.

Cheers,
Doodle
FollowupID: 407970

Reply By: raazorj - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 19:19

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 19:19
Doodle,
trackranger now have new version out that does tracks roads and now also street navigation,i am able to purchase it as an upgrade for $66 plus ubd maps (routing) around same value. I'm no expert but have been impressed with the current version and it is useable straight up. Cheers Ray.
AnswerID: 154470

Sponsored Links