heaby duty king springs

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:40
ThreadID: 30584 Views:1689 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
we have lashed out and ordered kings spring,shock with 2 inch lift for our 80 and plan to do it ourselves...are there any hints that make it easy - apart from giving it to the mechanic to do - hubby and father-in-law are pretty mechanical...just trying to stay one step ahead of them!!

Laura B

HAPPY INSIDE WHEN IM OUTSIDE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:53

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:53
Heavy duty axle stands under the chassis under the back doors to change the rear springs, and get a heavy duty ratchet strap or a spring compressor onto them to fit- It may save you an extra hour of stuffing around not having to loosen panhards or anti-sway bars.
Invest in a plumbers chain wrench- I wasted close to a day before I asked a pro what he uses. Shocks were off in 5 mins after that and If you use it right, you can sell the old stuff to a wreckers to cover the cost of a carton.
Might want to try and get a return to centre steering stabiliser too- It improves the feel.
AnswerID: 153970

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:22

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:22
Laura,

First thing to do is to measure the vehicle hight before you start. Will not help with the change over but it will be nice to know how much lift there was. It also helps if there is a problem later.

The way I do the change.
Jack up vehicle and place jack stands under the chassis. Leave the jack under the diff.
Remove the wheels
Remove the shocks
Remove the stabiliser bar from axle housing
Remove the bolt that holds the brake house to the axle housing and extend the brake hoses
The panhard rod should not have to be touched for a 2" lift
Lower the jack until there is no weight on it. At this stage the coil springs should just about fall out.
The new springs should go back in with out any forcing as they are no longer than the springs that come out. The new springs should be a thicker diameter wire.
The new springs should be marked DS or PS if not the tallest spring should go on the drivers side.
When the spring goes in make sure that the bottom coil of the spring is seating in the step of the axle housing bracket.

The instillation is reverse order.
The back and the front are the same procedure.
That should be about it. Allow a couple of hours to do the job.

With the shocks, when you are about to install them don't forget to bleed them first. To bleed the shocks, compress the shock all the way, then extend the shock all the way. Do this a couple of times. The first compression might feel a bit soft but it should be harder to compress after a few compressions. Don't lay the shocks down after this has been done, stand them up right until ready for installation.

When the job is done go for a drive and then measure the vehicle again. The drivers side should be about 10mm higher. This is to allow for the driver.

To measure the vehicle. From the bottom of the wheel arch to the bottom of the tyre rim. Should be around 780 to 800mm.
After a few days remeasure the vehicle again.

Wayne
AnswerID: 153979

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:23

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:23
Peice of cake. I put heavy duty king springs 2" lift in the surf (I think they are actually the same as the 80 series). I had already fitted Rancho 9909 shocks so I didn't need to take them off either. Just jack the car from the side to get maximum articulation, then axel stands, remove the wheel/tyre and wamo they just come out with a bit of a tug. (pull from the bottom of the spring not the top).

You will most likely have to take the bottom bolt out of the shocky so that you can get maximum travel. Easy as to do. You will also need to remove your swaybar if it hasn't already been taken off. I have spring compressors but find them a PITA to use as there is not a lot of clearence around the spring to mount them in a very safe way. If you are going to use spring compressors, jack the opposite side of the car so that the spring is compressed, then fit the compressor and swap the jack to the other side, otherwise you'll have 15 minutes of heavy duty ratchet work to try and compress the spring all the way down.
AnswerID: 153991

Sponsored Links