Thoughts on new model hilux

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:07
ThreadID: 30611 Views:4168 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Would like to know what other owners of the new hilux think of them. I've had 1 for 9 months and done 26000k's, overall really happy with it for an IFS setup.

Lifted the front and rear by 60mm (bilsteins), ARB bull bar, sidebars, winch, XGT lights, 265/75r16 BFG's.

The ride compared to the old models on and off road is far superior. Power for a diesel hilux is also great. Can get 9 ltr's a hundred if just cruise around and around 11 for allot of offroad work.

Overall a good 4wd. If only they made one with a solid diff and coils.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:16

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:16
Agree with your comments Hound. Have done 20,000 in mine, but will add up a few more on 16 week trek this winter.

Not a 'real' offroader. But does well all the same, and more comfortable than most for touring.

I've bashed my bash plate around so much with off roading, I've stripped it back, primed and repainted it. With all the painit rubbed off it was starting to rust after the last trip to Fraser Island. Looks like new, except for the dents of course.

267/75/16s. Those a big tyres. Close to 32 inches?? I was looking to upgrade to 31s next time.

What sort of winch have you fitted?
AnswerID: 154138

Follow Up By: hound - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:33

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:33
Warn 9000 lb low mount. Will change to plasma rope before winter to keep the weight down in the front, and a wire has given me the sh.ts cut my hands too many times.
FollowupID: 408075

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:52

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:52
Winching Nissans out I presume. HAHA.
FollowupID: 408085

Reply By: sheps - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:22

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:22
G'day hound,

I agree with you completely. My new diesel hilux is my first experience with owning a 4WD. Have done a basic 4WD course and learnt heaps. Next course is a notch or 2 up in the high country with Jim Kennedy at SafeTrek; very professionally run outfit.

Also, have fitted ARB bars back & front, Warn winch plus airlocker on the rear diff, although still agonising over the suspension. Have been told anything over 30mm or so lift on the front upsets the front-end geometry and may play havoc with the CVJ's etc. I like the idea of big rubber but VicRoads tells me anything over 15mm will get me booked if pulled over, plus possible insurance complications.

What have you done with the rear leaves? I am considering polyairs although believe they are not designed to lift beyond a load-created sag; only retempered or extra leaves will do that properly....maybe I need both.

Any opinion on Koni shocks; I am told they are the benchmark.

Anyhow, I do love my new lux and consistantly got 7.9 ltrs/100 driving around town. Even with all the new gear and a fair load in the back, still get 8.2 litres/100. I should add, my adult children reckon I run-in my cars forever....last time I was booked for speeding was in 1966.
Cheers,
Sheps
AnswerID: 154156

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:31

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:31
Sheps, I put the Firestone airbags in mine. Paid the money and got them throught The Airbag Man. You can get them much cheaper from Trucksprings in USA, but I wanted to be sure to get the right ones. They have kits for standard and 2 inch lift.
They have made a huge diference when fully loaded and towing.

I have the OME suspensioin and lift. Happy so far.

Thought about diff locks a while back, but for the moment, I figure this is not a vehicle for the real heavy off roading. Diff locks might tempt me to take it to places it should not go.
FollowupID: 408181

Follow Up By: hound - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:53

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:53
Sheps, I have had the rear springs reset to the new height with an extra spring but will change them sone to after market ones.

Bilsteins are the way to go for this type of setup; they have an adjustable seat position, are rebuild able and have progressive valving.

Tyre wise it all depends on what you want to do smaller tyres are ok for the odd trip but if you go off-road alot you need to get the clearance. I don’t really worry about the 15mm rule, if you checked all cars and 4wd’s you would find a huge percentage would technically be illegal and not road worthy in some way. As long as you get a tyre shop to put the tyres on a get a receipt you should be right.
FollowupID: 408226

Reply By: apwaddo - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:54

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:54
Shame all you guys got your Lux's before the Navarra D40 came out. Read the specs and reviews and see what you could have had!!!
Oops no offence meant - just couldn't resist it!!!!
Seriuusly its good to see that segment of the market really competing with each other and bringing out some real choice of vehicles. Hope it works it way through to other 4WD models.
AnswerID: 154171

Follow Up By: Turbo Diesel - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:58

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:58
apwaddo i guess i'm the one taking the bait, but oh well. I couldn't help but wonder how many people said the old navara was better than the old hilux untill their motors started blowing up (ZD30). Oh well 'just wait to you drive it', sorry won't happen. Any motor company that brings out a new model and continues to sell the old one should be shot, i can't belive nissan are doing this with the navara their resale sucks compared to a Toyota and yet now they go and make it worse. Oh well thats Nissan Australia for you, hopeless. I love the new lux great motor lots of space heaps of comfort and the most popular one ton ute in australia, it makes perfect sense to me that the lux will once again dominate the light ute market, WHY? Because Toyota will never let Nissan sell more cars than them, and if they do, they will bring out a new model. CHEERS
FollowupID: 408174

Follow Up By: apwaddo - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:57

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:57
Turbo - believe it or not i agree with most you say. The idea of running an old and a new model together is already causing me headaches when I want to get bits for it! Cannot see the sense in it, and God know what will happen when i trade it in and try and explain why it is $6 or $8 grand more than another Navarra of the same age!!
I just happen to think both are good vehicles and just because someone chooses the Nissan or Lux doesn't make them a bleep ! or right or wrong for that matter.
Still not convinced about the supposed ZD30 problems being as wide spread as most believe though (refer to recent survey on here of facts not rumours!) CHEERS
FollowupID: 408205

Follow Up By: Turbo Diesel - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:05

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:05
Fair response, i guess toyota and nissan drivers are all at time a little stuborn, i know i can be one eyed. LOL Anyway i guess the sucky thing about the zd30 is that a reputation has developed and that is a hard thing to change. No offense to the survey but its not comprehensive, the only people who know how many motors have truly blown up is Nissan. All the best. with Nav, you watch the CRD lux will start having problems and i will be screwed over. What do you do?
FollowupID: 408209

Follow Up By: hound - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:03

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:03
Had a look a the Nissan specs, motor looks good but 2.5 litres will have to see what happens after a few years of use especially if used for towing.

Main reason I wouldn't get one, check out the ramp over angle - shocking.
The wheelbase has been extended, will make it ride and climb hills but will hit its guts on everything that looks like a bump.
FollowupID: 408238

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:21

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:21
. Appwardo and Hound,
I must attempt to leap to the defence of GMH.
. We're on our third Rodeo diesel. 2.4, 1984 2wl. drive (strictly honest worker), 2.8, 1994 4wd dual cab (bloody near bullet-proof for a young family),and now a 3l 2002 with 116000 km.
. Very nice ride etc etc, but fuel consumption has dropped from 8.7 L/100 in the 2.8 L to around 10L/100 in the 3L.
. People say more power = higher fuel consumption, which, to my mind, is false logic. Hopefully someone with the "new" 3L Rodeo can come up with good reasons to buy one.
. I shan't be buying another "little" big car any time soon,, but if I did, it would be a Navara.
Sorry GMH. Rodeos gave us 690,000 km of trouble-free travel, but now,IF you do stuff up, a wizzkid is needed for the heart-start.
. And I suspect all our new generation 4wd's are tarred with similar brushes.
Collyn R. & my mate BJ may be right with their OKA's
Hey, aint it nice to drive/not fight, the Mighty Midgets?
. In (some) despair
. Jeff H.
AnswerID: 154230

Reply By: Member - David B (QLD) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:50

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:50
Hey hound, very happy with mine, i like the power and economy of the T/D.
Not bad offroad, nice and smooth onroad. The hilux is what it is, a one tonne ute.
I love driving mine.

Dave.
AnswerID: 154232

Follow Up By: Turbo Diesel - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:50

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:50
Dave just wondered where you got your bull bar from looks great. Got the TD lux myself and love it, great 4wd.
FollowupID: 408172

Follow Up By: Member - David B (QLD) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:29

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:29
Hi Turbo Diesel, mines an imported bar from Thailand. I herd ARB will be selling a Sahara bar for the Hilux later in the year.

Dave.
FollowupID: 408180

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:50

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:50
Following inspection plus a trial run in the new Hilux (and after talking to fellow Kimberley users) my wife paid almost the new price for an ultra-low mileage 3.0 TD that was about the last of the previous model (she is selling her 1996 2.8 litre).

I think her choice was a very good buy.

I suspect that, with this new model, Toyota is seeking a somewhat different market. This does not mean it is not a good 4WD - but it certainly is a much softer one. A suspension lift is essential if used up here.
Collyn Rivers

AnswerID: 154278

Follow Up By: hound - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:17

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:17
The old 3lt turbo is a good car, but I can say from experience that the new model is far superior in almost ever way, have a look at the new chassis compared to the older models its almost twice a thick in spots, has more power, better suspension, better ride etc.

When I first got mine others I go 4wding with who have the older models didn’t think it would be any good, until they took it for a drive. All 4 of them have sold there old lux’s and have new ones.

Sure there are things I would like different on this model, but if you go for a drive in one that is setup for off-road most people would change there minds about them for a new generation 4wd.

Still love my old 2.8 but it just keep costing me too much cash to keep going.
FollowupID: 408244

Follow Up By: Brett_B - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:04

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:04
I have had the old and now have the new TD Lux, I've done 10,000 Klm.

The new lux is far better than the old there is no doubt about that.

With the old lux on my first outing into the bush I bent the bash plate, so I lifted it, with the new Lux, on its first outing I bent the bash plate on it also hence its getting a lift done also.

Some crap has been said about these new lux'es, the same thing happened when the first IFS Lux came out and look where that went and how long that lasted.

FollowupID: 408252

Follow Up By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:55

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:55
Were we to live anywhere else except where do (north of Broome) I'd certainly go along with what you say - but less sure about it up here where almost all of our driving is off the bitumen.

The 75-series Troopy too is preferred here to the 78-series (although I personally prefer the 78).
Collyn

FollowupID: 408267

Follow Up By: tex1972 - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 21:40

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 21:40
had a drive of one the other day they do go alright but with single rail injection you had better hope it drops its bundle under warranty they are VERY dear to repair.
FollowupID: 408453

Reply By: Powertolose - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 21:49

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 21:49
What about the fugly thing?????????? Don't any of u lot care about driving around in the only vehicle on the road that makes a Citroen look good??? :)
AnswerID: 154491

Sponsored Links