any Industrial chemist[ petroleum] out there?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:41
ThreadID: 30631 Views:1776 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody? I,m having my engine oil tested on my 60series,[purchaser wants it done] Iam sure that the engine is good! eg, no smoke, plenty of power,& serviced EVERY 5000ks, BUT, it has only done3000ks in the last 2& a half yrs.[260,000total] only used for trips. My question is.. is there likely to be any negative result, because of the lack of use? as opposed to tired engine.
I suppose, if the tester is aware of the history???? I dunno, all thoughts appreciated anyway, thanks.......Phil.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turbo Diesel - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:16

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:16
Phill always good to do an engine oil change before you sell for this reason, i would'nt be to worried about it. Make sure you sell it "as is" no matter what the condition, i have heard reports of people getting test done and then paying out heaps to get the motor tuned etc. Personally i would make the buyer pay for it, don't be pushed into a corner there is always another buyer.
AnswerID: 154288

Follow Up By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:29

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:29
T/D, yer the buyer is paying for it ,purchase is subject to a clean bill of health. I know the truck ,& I,m not worried. As long as the oil has not''degraded''through lack of use. I,ll wait & see.. thanks. Phil

FollowupID: 408256

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:23

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:23
Definetly the buyers problem. Cawn't see any reason that lack of use would cause any problems, unless it's got water condensation in the oil....
AnswerID: 154292

Reply By: Member No 1- Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:32

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 13:32
oil analysis can show up a lot of things........

such as wear metals (type), moisture, acids

however wear metals trends are generally only any good by comparing and refering to past history...except if you have lots, which may indicate a problem...

Most large airconditioning compressors have oil analysis done annually.......

Trucking co's do 1/4 I think?
AnswerID: 154294

Reply By: hopscotch - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 18:11

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 18:11
Not qualified but 32 years in the oil industry.
If you have been changing the oil every 5000kms it is firsty unlikely that testing will reveal much at all unless there is a bearing breaking down. The quantity of wear metal to accumulate in such a short time is more likely to be minimal. Also not a high risk that there would be deterioration if the motor has been run at reasonable intervals.eg was the 3000kms done in one run two years ago or have you done a few short trips during the period.
Transport operators with Skania, Volvo and the like get their oils tested on a regular basis so that they can establish just how often they need to change the oils.
With units running line haul it is not unusual to have 150000km change intervals and in most cases you would be using a similar oil in your motor. If you have not been in suvere dust or water conditions and your filters are in good nick I would think the buyer is 'doing his dough'. Then again it's his money.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 154349

Reply By: dieselup - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 19:26

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 19:26
Tell em to go to Cat or Komatsu buy a test kit and get it tested themselves
There's plenty of people around that'll buy a good old cruiser,if they really want it they'll get organised
Good luck
AnswerID: 154359

Follow Up By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 20:01

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 20:01
Thanks for your input guys,I should get the results next wk. Talking to the mech. who took the oil,its bloody amasing what they can determine is wrong,& what part is breaking down [if any] I,ll let u know the outcome. cya...... Phil
FollowupID: 408359

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 18:43

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 18:43
As someone else said Phil the oil analysis is really only worth while if you have a previous history. All our heavy equipment at work gets tested monthly. The readings you get on different metals levels etc are shown using a graph (from past tests) and if it shows a sudden rise in something then they will determine if it needs a component change. I'd doubt that the testing mob will even have data from a previous test on the same type of motor in which to compare it with (being a small vehicle engine). You need that sort of info to set a "normal" range for that particular type of engine. Best of luck though. Be interesting to hear what the result is. Keep us posted.
AnswerID: 154469

Sponsored Links