Methods to level caravan

Submitted: Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 21:57
ThreadID: 30664 Views:17444 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, am asking on behalf of a friend, he has a tandem caravan and is looking at an easy method of leveling it? What he has thought of is using air bags between axle and chassis to level it when he is stopped. Anybody else have any other methods, other than the obvious, chcoks under the wheels, lol. Thanks in advance.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JustyWhyalla - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 22:03

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 22:03
Saw one couple once that had some wooden chocks/ramps that they would pull up, asses what thickness was needed then simply drive the vehicle up on top them. Saw a few people doing this and most seemed to be able to guess the correct chocks to use fairly well!

Crude but easy and cheap to DIY
AnswerID: 154392

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 22:26

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 22:26
The best levelling systems I've seen by far are the Stabil Mate & Caralevel.
Stabil Mate
Certainly beats chocking the tyres with a bit of wood ;-)
Cheers Craig.........

AnswerID: 154399

Follow Up By: Wizard2 - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 11:50

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 11:50
Had a look at the website. Well I think this device is right up there with the Hiclone (yes that is the corret spelling).

I was informed years ago that corner stays are for van stability not levelling. There is no way my corner stays would be strong enough to lift the van to a level position unless they are the vertical drop down type which they are not.

Did you notice there were no pictures of this system.
FollowupID: 408415

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 19:08

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 19:08
Wiz I have seen 2 vans with the Stabil mate system fitted & can asure you it's no gimick. It's simply a matter of opperating the pump fitted on the A frame, each leg comes down in turn then all legs start lifting the van equalizing themselves usually to the point where the van is level. If the ground is sloped you may need to open & close the individual valves for perfect adjustment. 60 seconds is all it takes & avoids the need to bend down under to wind the legs, particually handy for grey nomads with bad backs. I agree the legs on most vans these days are pretty flimsy but the unit on the grandfathers van had the legs strengthened & was capable of lifting the tyres clear off the ground.
Certainly no Hiclone;-)
Cheers Craig........
FollowupID: 408440

Reply By: hazo - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 22:43

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 22:43
Hi
I use my Trailamate from same company as other reply. And probably much cheaper option.
Brian
AnswerID: 154400

Reply By: Wizard2 - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 10:19

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 10:19
If your friend is thinking of using polyairs then think again. They do not recommend inflation after a vehicle is loaded as they aren't designed for that. Trying to lift a laden caravan could do them in.

There is a hydaulic system available that replaces the existing stabiliser legs. They are very expensive.

Personally a couple pieces of off-cut treated pine and jarrah have served me well for the last 5 years and they cost me nothing.

AnswerID: 154425

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 10:50

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 10:50
I had this problem with my 22' Galaxy... I resolved it at minimum expense by replacing the wind up Jocky wheel with a hydraulic unit that is just so simple to use to get fore and aft level that it amazed me. Transverse level I get by useing a cheap bottle jack that I got 2 of (one either side) from Super cheap. Put the bottle under the jacking point, jack up till level, put the other jack on the other side & pump up till the load is on it then just wind down the corner stabilisers. Ok a little more time consuming than the central hydraulic system but cost me a whole heap less. A mate has the hydraulic system on his van & he is not that impressed, it is not as smooth in action as you would thinkand continually gets stuck in the down position...
If you use the shower in your van I find that "Level" is actually not always "level" but is in fact the point where water runs out of the shower without pooling...
AnswerID: 154427

Reply By: tpski - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 11:06

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 11:06
Would a patch of level ground make the job any easier?
AnswerID: 154431

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 14:51

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 14:51
I have used the old wooden planks for years and they are simple just place before the low wheel's and pull the van onto the planks easy as.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 154447

Reply By: Ali L - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 16:24

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 16:24
We had to modify system provided on the van as I bent one the wind out levelllers We bought 2 old fashioned jacks - the type used on Morris Oxfords - and screwed some 1 inch square tube on the underside of the van. The jacks cost about $20 at a wreckers.
They were fantastic as you didn't have to scramble in the dirt trying to wind the levellers.
I'll send a photo if you are interested
AnswerID: 154458

Reply By: Scrubcat - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 20:18

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 20:18
When bush camping just dig a hole in front or behind high side wheel to the depth required to level van, thats if only up to about 150 mm ( 6'') is required.Then move van so wheel is in hole, be sure to fill it in before leaving, simple providing the ground is not too hard.
cheers.
AnswerID: 154475

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 22:56

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 22:56
Mate of mine did his van with old air bags from a bus. SImilar to the air operated jacks you see at some tyre fitters and other workshops.

He mounted the bags on the chasis above the axle and plumbed in a cheapie compressor, the type that plug into the cig lighter. He included a valve so he could have air going to both bags or either one of them seperately this worked very well for leveling the van side to side.

The other benefit was that he could lift the van by a few inches to clear an obstacle. He only did this for very short distances but it worked well and on more than one occasion it saved the back end of the van from dragging along the ground.

Duncs
AnswerID: 154500

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 15:40

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 15:40
We alway`s try to travel as light as possable, carry 4 block`s 45x90 x350 pine, to level tandem if needed.
cheers charlie
AnswerID: 154578

Sponsored Links