You heard it here...

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 14:41
ThreadID: 30679 Views:2250 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Provisioning for expeditions may soon be made a whole lot simpler ...... a "reliable industry source" suggests that Arnott's are going the bring back the bush biscuit !Not too soon for mine...... those, plus a slab of your favourite and some of Mick Morris's Pressings (cardboard red) could keep a bloke nourished for weeks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kesh - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 17:39

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 17:39
Ah, Mulga Bill, its a while now since we had access to the excellent Morris' Pressings. Not available in our area so we have to comfort ourselves with an alternative put out by a grape squeezer with an Italian sort of name.
But am not going to get too excited by whatever that Arnotts mob decides to re introduce.
As far as I'm concerned they now belong to a country where they bottle a horrible looking confection of peanut butter and jelly and expect people to eat it and remain healthy.
I have my own "cordless" biscuit and bread baking machine, its called a "camp oven!" Its in operation as I peck away here. (with a glass of anti oxident of course)
Bah humbug to Arnotts, lets just support our local grape producers. We buy their 4l. package by the box of 4 every 10 days, just doing our bit and being nourished as well. The bread smells good too.
kesh
AnswerID: 154462

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:00

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:00
"We buy their 4l. package by the box of 4 every 10 days"???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

when do you sleep???????
FollowupID: 408475

Follow Up By: kesh - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 18:50

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 18:50
Brian, I was too trigger happy with my pecking finger.
I meant a box every 21 (21) days! Should have just sed evry 3 weeks!

I had an old Czech. goldmining mate who drank a litre per day, carked it at 94, almost with the banjo in his hand. So we (not saying who helps) live with that philosophy. Every 3 weeks we need a new "box" with just a wee bit in hand in case the creek is up.
Tough old life, eh? and we always have one for departed Hlebetz.
kesh

FollowupID: 408562

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:14

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:14
"I had an old Czech. goldmining mate who drank a litre per day, carked it at 94, almost with the banjo in his hand."

Pardon my ignorance kesh, but the banjo bit intrigues me......

and I think there's a lot to the old adage of a few reds a night!

Cheers!!!
FollowupID: 408633

Follow Up By: kesh - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:29

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:29
Brian. Among some of the old alluvial miners the long handled round mouth shovel was referred to as a "banjo" (similarity of appearance)
However, a type of blank ended sluice box was also sometimes called a banjo. Needed quite a bit of skill to operate not to loose gold.
The easier type was a long sluice and a tailrace to discharge fines. We used a long sluice with a length of coir matting beyond the riffles. Each arvo the riffles were cleaned up then every 3-4 weeks the matting was rolled up, dried and burned on a sheet of iron. This would usually result in a bonus of 4-6 oz. of fine gold.
All this of course long before the intro. of "handbag" wine, our favorite drop being the Wynnevale red flagons.
As I remarked, its been a while since I saw any of Morris' produce, but geeez, why import and blend stock when there is a glut of grape juice on the local market?
kesh
FollowupID: 408653

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:00

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:00
Very interesting kesh.... I have learned something here today.. Thank you!
Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 408665

Reply By: Mulga Bill - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 18:19

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 18:19
Indeed Kesh - I make no comment on Campbell's plans for globalisation of foodstuffs - if they could get cheaper raw materials overseas, make the bikkies and land them here in good condition, they would no doubt. As it is though, there's a hoard of Aussies working at Arnotts, and they buy a lot of goods from local farmers it seems.
AnswerID: 154466

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 19:35

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 19:35
Ahhh......

Mmmmm.....

These things were my staple diet in the 1970's. The swimming pool up at Woomera used to sell them in singles, for a few cents each, and as kids, after swimming, we had voracious appetites. I was most definitely brought up on these things!

They are real good for smoko's, add a little butter, and presto.... heaven in a biscuit.

I just knew today was going to be a good day, and it was.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 154472

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 19:06

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 19:06
Justice demands that you be informed that the holy grail of cask red ,the all Aussie Morris of Rutherglen "pressings" did /does contain a % of juice of the vine from Spain ,so much for buy Australian ,,Arnotts about as Australian as an elephant is native to Australia.
AnswerID: 154599

Follow Up By: kesh - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:30

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:30
Alloy. My sentiments indeed.
See my reply to Brian.
kesh
FollowupID: 408655

Sponsored Links