CUB-O-MATIC

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 15:06
ThreadID: 30702 Views:5922 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,
A "first" post please excuse if its all been said before.

I've just bought a 2nd had cub-o-matic cost was $1000-00.
The trailer and top are in good condition , however I've decided to re-canvas for approx $2000-00 , I've stripped the inside out and am re doing the inside so it allows the fitting of a full size double bed. And wiring some sockets for reading lights inside.

The camper is very light to tow (220k) and as we have an old 1985 Tarago (2litre) auto it has to be (grin)

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on these campers?
And any good "tips" for renovation / restoration ?

The Camper also has a zip on full annex which whilst old is in very good condition (I think its spent most of its life rolled up in its bag) .

I'm getting the camper re-canvased in the same brown and beige colours so it all matches but am altering the size and placement of some of the windows and the door using a twin zip roll up door to replace the standard slit type door

Many Thanks
John

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 01:15

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 01:15
Atropos,

I've had one of these Cubs for years and though I've now moved onto a full 4WD caravan, the Cub is still sitting in the yard - I'll do it up one day. It's still is a ripper of a camper and has been beefed up for 4WD work.

One suggestion is that when you have it re-canvassed, make sure they put enough canvas length on the skirt that clips down around the edges of the metal body tub. When I last had mine done, they were a bit stingy with the canvas here and the canvas only just fits over the metal top edge. It can get a bit draughty at times and another few inches of overhang would have been better.

If yours has got a full length window at one end - leave it out when you have it re-done. It's PIA when the sun is shining in and when it rains the floor gets wet. I haven't had one in mine for years.

Have 2 zips put on the canvas top flap. One for the full size annexe and another shorter zip across the top for just putting up an open awning.

Make sure that the zips for the annexe fit the corresponding zip on the annexe itself.

Have zips put on both sides of the camper top edge, not just the door side. That way you can put the annexe on one side and an awning on the other. Or vice-versa or mix 'n match. It will then give shade to both walls of the camper.

If it has that stupid little sunshade flap at one end (over the aforesaid window) leave it off. The metal round bar that is sewn into the canvas and supports this flap will tear a hole in the canvas eventually. It nearly put my eye out once when it slipped out through the tear!

Enough?

Bilbo
AnswerID: 154653

Follow Up By: Atropos - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:39

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:39
Hi There,
Many thanks for that, the lady that is doing the canvas job is very helpful and will be able to oblige
I'd already picked up on the large window but the other tipss are very usefull ..
Gong to paint floor with a decking paint / wood treatment to ensure all is preserved and use some underbody paint on chassis , ahve re done the wheels in gold colour which looks quite nice, and will most like re-paint the trailer in its original colours.

I've got to find something to treat the fibreglass top , I think its been painted in the past and the paint has 'crazed" but the serface is very smooth so will have to do it the hard way and sand it all down first..

Anyway thanks again for your tips
Regards
FollowupID: 408636

Sponsored Links