First entry into diesel take two

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 15:59
ThreadID: 30706 Views:2032 Replies:1 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, i've just bought my first diesel car- a '82 toyota hilux diesel turbo- and am wondering how i should go about maintaining it in a good condition. like how important/often should i change the the oil, oil filter and the fuel filter? and is there other bits i should clean or change when servicing the car?

the turbo was there when i bought it. there is no filter hooked up to the air intake. should there be one and if so what sort of filter should i use? is a rampod good for diesel engines?

the engine also blows a bit of black smoke when taking off in first, is this common or should i add an additive to help the fuel burn cleaner? and is there better additives than others? i'm worried they could damage the seals or valves or something.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. i would love to keep this ute for as long as i can.
regards,
frontykeeper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: guzzi - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 17:12

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 17:12
Fronty,
you dont mention how many Kms it has, but one could assume around 300,000+?
Change oil and oil filters every 5000km and the fuel filter every 10,000 to 15,000 km.
Yes fit an airfilter, type is up to you, and how much room is left under the bonnet.
The swirl canister type that comes std in hiluxs,rodeos etc is preferable if your going to be doing a lot of off road/ dirt roads.
Have a good look at the turbo and see if theres any damage to the impellor from it injesting dust/rocks,small birds/children etc, small nicks you can clean up with a file/ small carbourundum stone, bigger nicks/bits missing will need professional help.
Black smoke is usually caused by over fueling and /or clogged injectors.
The previous owner may have just turned the fuel up to suit the turbo or it may need an injector service and pump timeing check etc, find a reputable diesel mechanic in your area and have it checked out. Excessive overfueling is a good way to destroy a diesel. Be aware that diesel health checks may cost several hundred $, rebuilds however run into thousands, discuss whats needed and prices BEFORE you get anything checked.
Additives....wynns,flashlube etc all have a diesel additive for fuel system lubrication and cleaning and biocide, may be worth a go, have a spare fuel filter ready to go in case they clean out some dirt/bugs from your tank, may also help with the black smoke.
What else to check?
Radiator condition, dents corrosion, coolant- plain water/ rust or coolant?
Timeing belt if fitted, check the manual your going to buy.
Fan, alternator belt condition, battery condition, windshield wiper blades etc
Rust in the doors or lower sills, around the windscreen.
Wheel bearings, brake pads yadda yadda the list goes on.
Buy yourself a workshop manual, it will have many of the answers you require.
AnswerID: 154586

Follow Up By: frontykeeper - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 19:41

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 19:41
Guzzi,
yes, the car's done about 355,000k's. the engine looks like its been recoed b/c its got new gaskets all round. i'm guessing around the same time the turbo was fitted.
do you know of any reputable diesel mechanic to take my ute to? to have it checked and dynoed. i live in melbourne.
very rarely would i take it off road (i think its 4x2) so do you think paper or foam filter is best? i've heard all different opinions about either.
its currently got a 4 speed but i wanna put in a 5 speed, would the 5 spd from an 18R corona be suitable? i don't know if it'll be a bolt on job.
thanx heaps for the advice.

fronty

FollowupID: 408571

Follow Up By: frontykeeper - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 19:55

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 19:55
guzzi,
just one more question: do you i should install a turbo timer? i mainly do short trips but now and then i would go for a long cruise.
FollowupID: 408575

Follow Up By: guzzi - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:46

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:46
Fronty,
Nope cant help you with a mechanic in sunny melbourne, Im in Brisbane.

As to what fits where cant help there much either, try these web sights and see how you go
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/index.php

Turbo timers, depends if your turbo is water cooled or just oil cooled.
The more modern ones are water cooled, if your not sure have a look for a hose running to one of your coolant lines, if its got one its probably water cooled.
Turbo timers are illegal in some states, easier to just let it idle for an minute then switch it off, give it a bit longer if youve just pulled off the highway after crusing at 100kmh or more for a long period.

Try googleing hilux mods or toyota clubs in australia and see what that turns out
FollowupID: 408658

Follow Up By: frontykeeper - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:54

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:54
Guzzi,
there's a hose from the sump to the turbo so i take it it is oil cooled. that's ok it'll give me time to sit and ponder about the universe and life etc while i wait for it to cool down :-)
thanx again for all your input. its been a great help :-)
can't wait to get out on the open road with this beast!
FollowupID: 408726

Follow Up By: Goughy - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 16:38

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 16:38
Fronty, I had an 82 diesel hilux, one of the little bolts snapped that hold the injector pump on one day & sent the pistons straight up onto the open valves after the timing belt slipped, rather than rebuild the 2.2, i went for the option of a 2.6 astron out of an 85 magna with the toyota 4 speed...(I was young, stupid & broke, total cost of about $600 doing it myself & bro in law) nothing you aimed this thing at would pull it up, but a truck from the side, different story...
the gearbox on your rig does not have a bellhousing as such, its an adapter about 3 or inches wide, get onto Marks 4x4 Adapters on the net & check out what adapters they have for the 5 speed to your 2.2D
hope this helps....
FollowupID: 408913

Follow Up By: frontykeeper - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:53

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:53
Goughy,
Cheers mate for your input, did you have much trouble getting it rego with the new engine? engineer certificate? i heard the astron goes hard but drinks petrol like it was going outta fashion and parts for it is expensive. i'd like to hear your opinion about it as one can never tell from what you hear.
the adaptor you mention, is that for the toyota 18R gearbox or for the mitsubishi 5 speeder?
monroe shockers, you heard any bad reports about 'em?
i'm thinking of trying them out.
by the way mine's a 2WD :-)
FollowupID: 409285

Follow Up By: Goughy - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:18

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:18
To tell you the truth, I didn't bother with the certificate, I was going to eventually but this truck T-boned my missus in it before I had a chance...
It went like the clappers & did drink juice but when you drove it normal it was ok, like anything I suppose..
The gearbox was the standard 4x4 2.2l diesel hilux, the adaptor was the only thing I needed for the conversion apart from the engine mounts built by my brother in law (Toyota/Mitsubishi dealer head mech)
I have not got a bad word to say about Monroe shockers, apart from the OME nitrochargers (Made by Monroe) I have on my 80 series cruiser that came with the kit, that is all I have ever owned, therefore I cannot tell you if there are others better or just as good, I am sure there are but I couldn't justify the money for the more expensive ones when Monroe's did the job faultlessly...
hope this helps you out Fronty...
G
FollowupID: 409555

Follow Up By: frontykeeper - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:23

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:23
Goughy,
terrible news about your missus (and the car) hope she's alright :-)
i'm still hunting around for a toyota 5 speeder to suit the hilux, no such luck. damn they're hard to find. it's like these models have done their dash :-(.
i've asked around since and a few people reckon monroes aren't that bad too, so i might give em a go. they sound like they're good value for what you pay. the cheapest quote i've had to fit all (4) was $385.00. nearest quote to that was from pedders $418.00. so why not eh?
mate, thanx heaps, you've been a great help :-)

FollowupID: 409608

Follow Up By: Goughy - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:59

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:59
Glad I could help, missus came out without a scratch on her, the sad thing was, she was only 18 at the time, 1st accident, pretty shaken & the truck driver told her it was her fault & "seems there was no damage to the truck there was no need to get the police involved" so he drove off & left my girl to limp a very bent Hilux 2k's home
good luck with your search amte, take care...
G
FollowupID: 409662

Sponsored Links