I hate roofracks but...

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 21:54
ThreadID: 30720 Views:3100 Replies:7 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Yes have carried a tophat around Oz etc and I don't like them for a number of reasons. (But hey I'm strange, I don't like towing much either).
But the time has come to think about stowing more junk on a trip. Specifically another spare tyre carcass.
I dont want to have to shell out 6-700 for a rack that I'll only have to turn around and sell ...been there done that.
Are the so called roof bars solid enough to carry what I want ? I see one even has a basket (hmm...more junk). What sort of weight will these things safely carry over corregations etc ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 22:19

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 22:19
Tie a new carcass to the complete spare tire you have mounted on the rear bar..
AnswerID: 154631

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:13

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:13
In my case that isn't possible as there's no rear mounting spare. Series 80. I've even tied them to the bullbar before , but they don't ride too well there.
FollowupID: 408614

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:19

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:19
If your current spare is underslung you could compress the extra carcass between the chassis and the normal spare.
FollowupID: 408615

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:35

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:35
Gramps now there's a novel approach. Then I could have twice as much fun lying under the vehicle at the side of the track :))
FollowupID: 408617

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:39

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:39
hahahaha life was'nt meant to be easy mate. It'd be a damn good reason to sit down for a cuppa before starting all that knuckle scraping and commencing your dissertation on the parentage, or lack thereof, of all and sundry LOLOL
FollowupID: 408619

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:43

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:43
hahahah..not wrong. And AFIK the correct quotation is "life wasn't meant to be easy, but take heart my child. It can be delightful".
Trust Paul baby to only tell us what he wanted...
Rekkon I might have to go roofrack and not bars after all. Now that should be interesting with crook legs...climbing around..hmm....maybe have another look at bars...
FollowupID: 408620

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:53

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:53
Keep Post 30596 in mind as well. Good luck.
FollowupID: 408624

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:19

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:19
If all you need to carry is the carcass then do as Truckie says.

If you need a roofrack then check out the wreckers.

My brother in law got one off an old Telstra van. Very solid and complete with rollers across the back, cost about $100, few years ago now.

I became the owner of this rack when he gave it to me as payment for a weekend lifting furniture and driving a truck about 1300km in less than 24hrs. It has carried some substantial loads over the years but spends most of its life in the shed. I too hate roofracks but sometimes they are the right tool for the job.

Duncs
AnswerID: 154644

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:48

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:48
Yep, I know what you mean . Unfortunatly most of the racks I see wouldnt get past first base on heavy washouts and corros. In the old days I could tell where the washaways were on a track by the amount of roofracks and abandoned gear on the side of the road.
Ah well, I'll take another peek and see how I go.
FollowupID: 408621

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 00:06

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 00:06
Mate I carry HEAPS of gear on my two Rhino Sprotz Bars with a basket and bag.

Canvas Tents, two air mattresses, 4 chairs, 2 tables, 3 sleeping bags, clothes for family of 4, fly tent, kids dome tent etc etc etc.

Never had a problem, I'm sure they'll do fine for a tyre carcas!!
AnswerID: 154650

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 00:19

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 00:19
Jeff, thats more like I wanted to hear:))))))) How difficult is it to access stuff on top ? How difficult is it to set the system up in the first place ?
FollowupID: 408627

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:32

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:32
Pfft, corrugations and washouts. Been through plenty, even had the wires that were siliconed up above the windscreen fall down because of corrugations and never had a problem with the roof bars and basket... Perhaps in the days of un-educated people driving leaf sprung vehicles with too higher PSI in their tyres...

Yeah it's easy to get to the stuff on top, I'm fairly tall 6'3" so I spose that helps, but I finally found a use for side steps!!! LOL

I normally stand on the side steps to take the oky straps off (that's all that ties the bag down and works a treat as you have 7 oky's, one for each strap, it saves ties and undoing loops all the time). When I'm unloading gear, I quite often step up off the side step and onto the back tyre which give's me just that little bit more height. It's hard yaka if you unload the whole load by yourself because of the getting up getting down factory. If you have one of the kids, a mate or your missus stand on the ground to just grab the gear as you pass it down, it's not a drama at all.
Climb Step, un do okys and unzip bag.
Step up onto tyre.
Pass ooodles of crap down to waiting helper.
Drink beer while they set it all up. (in my dreams!!) LOL

The basket I quite often just leave on the vehicle because the garage is to messy to fit the car into anyway! :-) But when I want to get it into the garage, I can remove the basket by myself because it's so light, even with the annexe poles and long handled shovel still attached! I bought some better U Bolt's for it, they only have one thread on each U bolt and the other end has a little hook that just clips around the basket, makes the doing up and undoing of the bolt's half as much of a choire. I think they were $15 from "The 4wd Shop" in Perth.
FollowupID: 408667

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 00:59

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 00:59
Footloose Like you I dislike my roofrack - I have it set up in my garage roof so I can park under it and just lower it into place when needed. Usually only take it on BIG trips. The 100S has special brackets in the roof gutter to fix the rack to. I have a Jaram its lightweight and really tough. Usually only put spare tyre casing and chairs up there, also spare wheel when I tow my KKamper to get the spare wheel off the back bumper. Never had any problems. Nothings ever moved. Been over Simpson up to Cape York etc. I figure if its tied down well then it cannot move.
AnswerID: 154652

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:57

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:57
Had a mate who decided to do that, hang the rack from the rafters. Spent all weekend making up a pully syetem to lift it on and off.

The first time he put the rack on, he could'nt get the vehicle out of the shed, to bloody high.
FollowupID: 408640

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 08:39

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 08:39
Good one, I almost got caught too!
Store on the floor joists under the hose, but couldn't drive the car in the gargae door to put it on, so that stopped me from doing something stupid.
FollowupID: 408646

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 13:08

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 13:08
My dad's 4BY will only fit in his garage if he puts 200 litres of water in the back first.
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 408681

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 08:21

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 08:21
I wanted roof bars to put my canoe and surf rods but they were about 300 bucks for rhino racks so I went to kmart and got some for 12 bucks. The weight of my light canoe collapsed them and it wore a hole through the paint on the roof.
300 bucks later I have 2 bars which gives the option of a 3rd and a basket if i want (I dont) I dont put much on it especially no where near as much as jeff but they seem to have no problems with Vegetation that likes to hug the car except for the plastic end covers which have busted off
AnswerID: 154666

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 08:46

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 08:46
Now the family is just the two of us, the 'boys' don't to travel with us any more (20 & 23), I am looking at taking out the back seat for trips and bolting the extra spare in there.
Alternative is making a bracket off the seat bracket in the back (third row which come out for a trip) and standing it next to the fridge and moving that gear to the back seat, clothes bags, slepping bags etc. Keep the heavy dangerous stuff behind the cargo barrier.
AnswerID: 154668

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:02

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:02
I'm in a similar boat, but not even the missus will travel with me now. She says she's done her time in tents :) (and she still works so cant get away too easily)
Last trip lashed the carcass to the cargo barrier. Easy and effective, but it took up a lot of space. The soft goodies and fridge (with seatbelt) sat in the back with extra water containers etc Passenger side taken up with laptop etc etc.
Now it all fits in and travels well, but making camp is a matter of a lot of mucking around. But there again I slept in the car a bit on the last trip, didnt want to camp in the mud :((
FollowupID: 408648

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 17:51

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 17:51
We have ended up buying a camper trailer. She reckoned I am getting too old to be climbing up and down to the roof rack. It is most probably one of the things that keeps me fit enough to do it!
It was a nice quite
Now I have a new toy to upgrade and spend money on, getting the packing right. Only took me 5 years to work out the best way to pack the rack and back of the car. Bulit a shelf and all those types of things.
Now I am allowed to buy a fridge slide for the back of the car. If I plan it right and make it myself, that gives me extra money to spend on something else :-).
Of course with a camping trailer the idea is we will be more adventurous, so I will need to upgrade recovery gear etc.
This was all discussed and allowed in the purchase price of the trailer.
FollowupID: 408716

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:14

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:14
I'm curious as to what people do when they get into a national park with their c/t and the camp area is fenced off so that you can't take vehicles inside the area. Kinda defeats the purpose ?
I towed a trailer yonks ago. It gave me more strife than it was worth. There again it was a h/d road trailer on some pretty awful tracks. Still, the memory remains.
FollowupID: 408718

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:16

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:16
"I'm curious as to what people do when they get into a national park with their c/t and the camp area is fenced off so that you can't take vehicles inside the area. Kinda defeats the purpose ?"

Personally I'd just set up there in the car park....... we wouldn't DREAM of parting with our CT now!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 408731

Reply By: signman - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:01

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:01
The Rhino bars also have some very neat attachments for uhf/vhf antenna mounting. Now I thought that would interest you.!!
I have a pair of Rhinos with a homemade welded up 'basket'. We carry the tent/ spare tyre carcass/ and maybe a 20l fuel jerry.
Also have a home made roll up 'awning' attached to the navigators side.
AnswerID: 154683

Sponsored Links