Austral Downs

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 08:57
ThreadID: 30768 Views:1660 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

After some 8 trips , Cairns to Cape Leveque, over the years the wife and I thought we would find a different way this time. On the last grand adventure we headed off down the road across Austral Downs, but then I was reminded that I hadn't filled the jerry cans and so it was back to Camooweal and after a brief "discussion" it was decided to head across to 3 ways on the bitumen.

Anywho, this time we will fuel up and take the turn off across Austral Downs and on to Alice.

Yes, I have used the search function but no, didn't find any information on do we need to phone the manager of Austral Downs for permission to drive across.

Now most folks will probably say that we don't need such, but I like to let the managers of the stations know that I am on their property, good tourists and safety and all.

So I am hoping that someone will know a phone number to contact the manager of Austral Downs ?

Thanks in advance and cheers
Peter L.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Spinifex - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:16

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:16
(07) 4748 4811

Always do a Google. It came up in White Pages Queensland
AnswerID: 154850

Follow Up By: peterll - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:21

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:21
Thank you Spinifex, and why didnt I think of that ? :)

FollowupID: 408829

Follow Up By: Goughy - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 13:56

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 13:56
Peter, another option is to use your UHF when you get close, find the repeater channel & give him a call...
just a suggestion...
FollowupID: 408883

Follow Up By: peterll - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 15:02

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 15:02
Thanks Goughy, I will be doing that as well.

Bruce is away on holiday at the moment, but I will call him back next week. They do like to know as they can advise if there is any area being worked that travellers should be wary of.

Now that's something I should make sure of, that I do have my list of repeaters. I rarely have the UHF on unless it is a trek over dunes.

Our "keep us amused experiment" this trip is to hook up the satphone to an external ant. just to see how it works while on the move. If it works we could then run a webcam for the folks back home to drive along with us. Yes, expensive but you never know unless you try.
FollowupID: 408895

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:15

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:15
Peter,

Don't think Austral has a repeater, they would work on ch.15. Also, they use HF a fair bit, so if you have one, they work on 2020 kHz.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 409182

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:41

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:41
Web cam on the Sat Phone.... I'd like to see that.

The Sat Phone bill when it arrives.....I'd really love to see that.

The look on your face when you see the bill.....Priceless.

Peter You don't happen to be a beneficiary to Kerry Packers Will by any chance? LOL.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 409190

Follow Up By: peterll - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 02:59

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 02:59
Ah ok thanks Bob Y. We weren't going to take the HF this time (carrying it through customs is a real pain) But will make a note for future reference.

As for the cost of the satphone John :)

Yup, it can be a tad expensive, although the way we have set up our access we get the first 500 minutes at a reduced rate, which is handy to say the least. Paid in advance.

And no, we wont be running it for hours on end. The idea for this trip is to just see if it can be done. Running a webcam while mobile. Many truck drivers do it in Canada but then they have access to "hot spots"

Our main problem with taking the trusty Toshiba is that we rent the vehicle and they don't like the idea of us poking holes to mount it for stability, so I guess it will be a case of lots of velcro.

The whole idea came about as a way of testing comms in remote areas. Our next adventure after the trip back home is across Russia. Some friends of ours did the trip last year on motorbikes which was fun, so they said.

We have a few things left on the list of "to do before we die" . And the Khabarovsk to London trip is one of the biggies.

Thanks for all the thoughts
FollowupID: 409226

Sponsored Links