Rustproofing, worth it or not,

Hello All,
I've got my shiny new RV Troopy arriving next week and I'm aiming to keep it for a while.
As part of keeping it for quite a while I'm thinking about having it rust proofed.

I'm after feedback from others about their experience and any type/brand they'd recommend or steer clear of.

Only other comment, living in Newcastle I'll spend a fair amount of time fishing on Stockton Beach.

Thanks,
Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:47

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:47
Morning Geoff

I have seen what salt can do to a car if not looked after. No matter how much rustproof stuff you put on or do there will always be something left over. I always spend about a hour every time I have been on the beach cleaning and I swear the car is spotless inside and outside....then I walk past my car and I always find sand popping out at places that I didn't know was there. I have inside and outside rustproof and I am also running a electronic rust proofing unit
Fish oil as a good one as well to slap on before you get on the sand
AnswerID: 154859

Reply By: Darren C - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:52

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:52
We got our Patrol rustproofed when we bought it new as part of the after sales service.

Not sure whether we just fell for the the sales spin but we were advised to go for a wet treatment to protect underneath and an electronic system to protect everything down to the bottom of the doors...(apparently thats as faras the electronic system will protect down to...) we go on sand quite a lot and to date havent had problem with rust (touchwood)

Cheers
AnswerID: 154865

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:15

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:15
I was in the motor industry for quite a few years, & I can assure you that rustproofing is only as good as the person that applys it.
It doesn't matter how good the product is, if the application methods are not up to scratch it is virtually worthless.
AnswerID: 154874

Reply By: Smitty - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:31

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:31
I too am very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. I intend to fit a Electronic Rust inhibitor (ERPS) on my 100 Cruiser ---- $700!! If people think they are a waste of time I would rather save my coin!

The car is 2000 Model so I thought I'd be doing it a favour. We intend to travel around OZ in a months time, spending most of it along the coast, Fraser etc....

AnswerID: 154881

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:52

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:52
Hi Smitty

Mine came with the car but I was told that if the car is not brand new out of the box then they don't work as well...as there could already be rust there.....
FollowupID: 408860

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:01

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:01
That sort of thing works on boats so as long as you are floating it should work fine. Although you need different anodes to protect the different metals don't you?
Can't see how it can work out of water as there is nothing to make the circuit work. No circuit then electric system can't protect. These things always advertise staisfied customers but they never seem to provide the results of proper scientific (ie indipendant double blind) testing.
Save the money and get something you spray on, clean often and check regularly.

regards

A
FollowupID: 408863

Follow Up By: Smitty - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:01

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:01
Thanks Troll !! Have to seriously think about whether it's worth it!
FollowupID: 408864

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:18

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:18
The balance of my understanding and word of mouth suggests.... money will be wasted. There is some science to back it up at least. Not like the silly swirlyair add ons thingies.
FollowupID: 408977

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 13:54

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 13:54
Hi all . unless you intend keeing your 4by for more than 10 years than I think is a total waste of money, Cant comment on the power one as I have never seen conclusive evidence that it works. The other spray on stuff, end rust, wynns, is all crap. I reckon you cant go past the old fish oil, at least it runs right down into the seams which is most important as that is where most vehicles will rust from there up.The other places are behind front guard just infront of your front door, you see the area when opening your door up. As Shaker said even fish oil is use
less unless its applied in the incorrect way. When I use to work for toyota in my early days we use to call it the $1000 car wash so called , Paint protection rubbed on with a cloth,seat protection sprayed very sparingly onto the seats dont worry about the door trims customers wont know, and last but not least the old rust protection, up on the hoist spray the bleep everywhere including over the gearbox and exhaust every where you dont need it then when customer comes to pick up just tell them that its just a bit of rust proofing overspray dont worry about the smoke and smell. Then god help the mechanics when they neede to put a spanner over the nuts etc. Yep know all about it did it for 4 years. All crap. Just my opinion. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 154899

Follow Up By: Smitty - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 16:22

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 16:22
so you reckon just give it a good wash?

I'm very keen not to have to spend $700 of the folding stuff!!
FollowupID: 408909

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:31

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:31
Yeah smitty, I'd also add a couple of caps of kerosine to the washing water will kill the bubbles but still clean the paint. My old man use to do this all the time to his vehicle and my mazda which had a sunroof and we lived 5 minute walk from the salt water never had rust in any of our vehicles and we didnt garage thm either,plus the old man use to put the fish oil in once a year doors, boot well. in around front guards, yeah it stunck a bit for a few weeks but then the smell went, Bottle of kero couple of $$$$, Fish oil in a spray can same price and will last you 12 months Regards steve M
FollowupID: 408963

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 17:19

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 17:19
Oil repels water , so where can i get some oil to spray on the underside of my troopy . Ahhh i know , i have drums of old sump oil . I think i will mix half sump oil and half diesel and spray on with a 9ltr garden sprayer . Next i will need something to get the sand out of everywhere . I will just buy a staun underbody budy .
Theres salt spray all over my car , oh no i will have to give it a good wash .
AnswerID: 154933

Reply By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:31

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:31
Hi Geoff,
These days cars are dipped in chemicals to slow the rust process down. Unless your planning on keeping it for at least 12 or more years ..its not worth it. The best way to keep the rust off it is to high pressure wash it after every trip. This will assure you have a salt free body.

I have been in the automotive business all my life, the advances today in rust prevention are amazing. Spend the money on something else or you can post a cheque to me c/o Ange's free advice at a cost !!!

P.S..the above applies to all makes EXCEPT Fiats ok. Those things rust whatever you do.

Cheers
Ange
AnswerID: 154963

Reply By: MartyB - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:44

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:44
Just buy a Landrover.
Mine has an automatic oiling system, I just keep adding it to the transfer case & it automatically sprays out under the vehicle.

from Marty.
AnswerID: 154968

Follow Up By: Axle - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:20

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:20
That and alluminium panels, Rust?....No Way.
FollowupID: 408960

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:39

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:39
LOL, sounds like my hilux's rear pinion seal only problem too far down the rear end needs to be the front one. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 408965

Reply By: Big Woody - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:24

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:24
Hi Geoff,

I have been driving 4wd's on the beach for the last 20 years and have pretty well tried it all.
I have a 1990 model 80 series Landcruiser which has had a genuine Electronic Rust Prevention System (ERPS) as well as being rustproofed professionally since the day it rolled out of the dealership.
My cruiser has spent at least 8 weeks each year in a heavy salt environment like Fraser Island etc. and it does not have a spot of rust in it. I also live on the beachfront with the salt mist in the air whenever the wind is blowing from the sea.
If I were to do it all over again I would go with professionally applied rustproofing like Endrust or similar as the products they use and the methods they have of applying them are not worth the struggle of stripping every trim from your vehicle and having the truck smell like dead fish for the next 3 months (at least).
I have spent years spraying my other 4wd's with fishoilene in the panels and Tectyl underneath. The products the professionals use tend to be less prone to being impregnated with beach sand that can NEVER be removed. (trust me I tried).
When it comes to the ERPS I think they are a waste of money. Even though my 80 has no rust, I still put that down to the chemical treatment rather than the electronic one. About all it has done is show a red LED light in the engine bay for the last 16 years. That's my opinion anyway.

Brett
AnswerID: 154994

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:14

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:14
Back again Geoff,

I have purchased many 4wd's (34) over the years and just recently went in search of a Daihatsu Rocky for my son as he gets his learners in 73 days (as he keeps reminding me).
Rust is a very common problem in Rocky's and the only rustfree one I could find had a sticker inside the drivers door showing it was rustproofed in 1985 when new. It must do something.

Brett
FollowupID: 409027

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:20

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:20
Rust proofing is good... if it covers all the nasty little spots where rust will get to. If however water gets in between the rust proofing and the metal.... well, it might just make things worse.

Flog the car before rust appears.
AnswerID: 155016

Sponsored Links