Mud or All Terrain tyres?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 16:39
ThreadID: 30779 Views:3286 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

yet another question on tyres. Basically which type should I go for between MT and AT?
Reading the forum threads and other forums, I hear a lot of good comments about the wrangler MTR so they kind of appeal to me due to their excellent feedback. On the other end, I mostly use the car on the bitumen (unfortunately) and the offroad excursions are mainly on sand and rocky/gravel tracks. I could potentially see some mud in winter when going in the hills around Perth. Therefore I am not so sure it is justified or judicious to select Muddies, especially when several tyre places have strongly recommended I don't go for Muddies due to their noise and the fact that I would get limited milage out of them (less than 40000kms according to them). But just because they sounded too interested to sell me some AT tyres they had in stock I'd rather ask people with first hand experience, i.e. you guys.
So what are your thoughts? Are muddies really that noisy compared to AT? Is there such a big difference in expected milage between the Mud and AT tyres for my intended use? Is there significant benefit off-road with a MT compared to an AT? And finally should I get a good reliable mud terrain just for the esceptional case where I might need it?
Thanks and regards,
SLY.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 17:02

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 17:02
I've got Goodyear MTRs and I see them as an aggressive AT tyre rather than a muddie. Mine have done nearly 40 000 so far with at least 20 000 left. I've found them good on sand and great on rocks, reasonable in mud.

Pat
AnswerID: 154929

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 17:24

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 17:24
If as you say you do mostly drive on the black top and do not want the expense of two sets of wheels I would go for the AT tyres, and they are usually cheaper and give an all round performance.
I have used AT tyres for all my off road work and apart from the odd puncture have had a good run from them. As for brand I'll leave that up to you as it's a personal choice.
I currently run Wrangler AT tyres but will go back to BFG when these are shot, My personal choice.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 154934

Reply By: Tim M - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 17:49

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 17:49
I run Eldorado ZTR Sport LT (Light Truck) tyres on my 80 series. These I am pretty sure are made in the Coopers factory. In the USA they have a 50000 mile warranty. They don't offer warranty here but I figured they should be good for near that.
I have used them on the beach and on gravel roads and have found them excellent on both especially the gravel and bitumen where they are very quiet.
They were $230 ea and are 265/75/16LT with 123 load rating.
Hope this helps as I know there have been a few other guys wondering about Eldorado tyres.
Regards
Tim
AnswerID: 154938

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 18:06

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 18:06
Personally I don’t see the point in fitting a Mud Tyre unless you are going to be using it. Don’t fit them just for look’s as some people do, Big rubber then go out and rip chit out of a track’s that weren’t that bad and then turn it into a real chit fight for the rest of us, which I am sure you wont.

A good AT tyre with some pre thought will handle section’s of mud OK if mud driving is going to make up allot of you 4Wding then get the MT’s, but if it’s a 80-20 or 70-30 mix then a good set of AT’s will be better

A mate fitted 33-Inch MT’s to his last Cruiser Ute said it was pointless as 1.He fitted them in summer 2. He didn’t do enough Mud driving to make it worth wile 3. it often got him further into the chit as you get that ill be right on the 33-MT’s thinking, but hay it looked good had F-all grip on road in the wet and was chit on sand .

I was ether going to go Cooper At’s or ST’s went the AT’s as I know that at least 20,000k’s a year is going to be driven in and around the city, the rest on the highway going to placers and the reminder off-road.

In the last year my Cooper AT’s have done, Pilbara trip Manly off-road, 2 trip’s Geraldton/ Kalbarri, Farm/ station sorta tracks and beach work, 2Trip’s southwest/ beach, little mud and coastal access tracks.

Just came back from this one 3100k’s in 5days Perth southern cross, down to Wave rock along Emu Fence Rd over to Esperance Cape Le-Grande, The duke and Cape Arid (didn’t make it to Israelite bay due to lack of time and would of be too close fuel wise) Back up throe Norman out to Jrudi station and back to Perth.

Around Perth have done Mundaring power line track, Pinjar PowerStation track, Moore river Sandplanes trip and Gnangara Pines.

Have had 0 problems rarely adjust pressure (except on soft sand) rotated 2wice in 34,000k’s tourn off ½ a lug on each of the back tyres.

AnswerID: 154942

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:01

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:01
Hi there slyonnet, I have A/T bf 's on my lux, probably would be fair to say that I spend 70% on road the other either on dirt roads you could drive a rav 4,X Trail, and the other doing some serious off road 4wding, rocks, and cant complain on the road noise, wet conditions I think for an A/T they are very good. Have done 27klms on them now and will get easy the same again, but I dont have the weight that a patrol or say a landcruiser has so I think that would make a difference in how many klms they will do.I think it's a personal preference when it comes to buying them, this is my second set of B/F's and have had no puntures, torn side walls or chips taken off them so while I'm on a good thing I will stick with them, not saying that coopers or any of the others are any better or worse, cant comment on that because I have not personally used them. My mate had coopers M/T on his navara and bleep them off after 20k reckons they were deadly in the wet but great off road,But thats only one persons opinion, I have the standard set road tyres that I use on the lux if Im going on the beach as they seem to roll better on the sand and not work the vehicle as hard, wont go there in regards to what people reccomend as the best tyre on sand, million and one questions been asked before on this matter. I have tried both sets, BF's and standard road tyres on the sand at 16 psi as said above which one's I use for the sand.Was told not to get muddys unless thats where your going to spend most of your time as the black top will just ruin them in no time at all, other option it to run 2 sets one for mud one for everyday use and bit of off roading. Good luck on your decision. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 154988

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:09

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:09
I run BFG 33s. Got my first set second hand from this very trader site!.... Just about worn out my last pair. They were Mud Terrains. Replaced them with All Terrains. They have worn out in half the time. No appreciable ride, grip, noise or economy difference. Back to the muddies for me. They are still designed for more black top than offroad remember. My son runs the Wrangler MTR. Loves them. But that is all about looks. He likes the noise.... and BTW they are 45s...so we are getting rediculous now.

My two bobs worth..... sorry twenty cents... but then two bob would be worth about $1.50 now I reckon!
AnswerID: 155010

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 00:40

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 00:40
Some things to consider:

Mud terrains
Less kms per tyre - Road worthy for X distance but only usefull in the mud for probably 1/2 to 2/3's of that distance. (ie. Less usefull as they approach their end of tread life.)
Increased braking distance on bitumen = more likely to be involved in an crash that the AT's or HT's would avoid
Road noise

All Terrains
Generally cheaper
Quieter
Acceptable off road performance for mostly bitumen use (mate of mine went everywhere we went on Factory AT's on a slippery Toolangi trip in the mud - probably the only 4wd trip he'll ever go on as he's selling the Navara)
Safer on the bitumen

Some pros and cons.

Dave
AnswerID: 155062

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 09:17

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 09:17
What vehicle do you have?
MTR is not a true muddy in the sense compared to a BFG MT. They are somewhere between an AT and MT. A MT tyre isn't just for mud and I have found it performs well in all conditions. Having the bigger lugs helps traction in the dry as well as the wet. Even on Fraser a few months ago in the soft sand wasn't an issue.
I have BFG MT's on a Patrol and had them on a DC ute before this. I found the grip on the bitchofmine not so good in the ute but great with the Patrol. As for tearing up the tracks....yeh well one attemp in a MT could mean 1/2 doz with an AT in the wet!! You do the math on the track damage.
I have lots of track closures in winter where I live so I may look at a cooper St or MTR for my next set but prob will end up with another set of MT's.

Leroy

AnswerID: 155099

Reply By: Scoey - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:07

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:07
Currently run 33" Goodyear MT/R's used to run 31" Eldorado A/T's.

The MTs are heaps noisier!
Both tyres are about par on the road in the wet however due to the thicker sidewalls on the MT/R's the don't deform as much over bumps at road pressure and hence can feel a tad "skitish".
Off road - no comparison! MT/R's when aired down will hold onto the terrain like you wouldn't believe. They also go waaaay better in the mud over the AT's which has me thinking that the people that say MT/R's aren't a true offroad tyre might not have actually tried them? But they have to be aired down offroad. They don't go real good at all at road pressures.
MT/R's cost a fair bit more - if you're not going to get the extra value out of them off road - don't invest in them. Easy!

Hope that helps! Scoey!
AnswerID: 155111

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:03

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:03
'me thinking that the people that say MT/R's aren't a true offroad tyre '

Or do you mean a true mud tyre? A MTR is a true off road tyre as is an AT, MT, ST, STT etc...etc.....;-))

Leory
FollowupID: 409049

Follow Up By: Scoey - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:49

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:49
Yep sorry - got me! I meant to say "Muddy".

There's a few mentions above of people saying that the MT/R is not a true Muddy just an aggressive AT. I disagree in parts. AT's generally aren't "agressive" and what the average person would consider to be a Muddy is exactly that - a more agressive treaded tyre that is ok on the road also - the likes of BFG MT, GY MT/R, STT etc it's still an all purose tyre.

I would say 'true' muddy's would be the likes of your Super Swampers etc but for the majority of us the MT/R is as true a muddy as we're gonna ever use.

Prolly doesn't make sense but I know what I mean! ;-)
Cheers
Scoey!
FollowupID: 409057

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:04

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:04
Sly,

Go the AT'S for sure, nothing more depressing than watching a muddy wear down due to mainly black top driving.

You pay more for'em to put up with poor road handling, poor braking especially in the wet, and rarely give them a chance to show their true potential in chalenging off road driving, unless you like putting yourself & your fourby to the test reguarly, get the AT's.

Browny
(wating for current Wrangler MT's to ware out before getting some cooper st's to try)
AnswerID: 155258

Sponsored Links