GOOD 'LED' SOURCE, NEED SWITCH HELP

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 13:18
ThreadID: 30806 Views:3067 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have just bought 12 volt 'led' bulbs from www.ledshoponline.com .The MR16 Warm (1.2 watt) throws a near-normal colour, while the MR16 3watt is bluish.
Was highly impressed by their service , definately worth a look.
HELP.
Need connectors and waterproof switches to make the bulbs into camping lights. Any advice? I think someone mentioned cheap "Anderson" connectors a while back. Also, anyone got onto a cheapish TLE5 Ministar conversion kit for the Minimaglight?

. Thanks,
. Jeff H.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 14:52

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 14:52
Hi Jeff,

What do you plan to mount them in to protect the glass housing. Your choice of case of some sort probably dictates your choice of switch a little.

They only draw 160mA so they don't need anderson plugs. Just about any low voltage connector will do. Have you standardised on a connector for anything else?

At 160mA you could even just use cigarette lighter plugs. Dime a dozen, bugger all voltage drop at such small current. I keep all the ones I chop of other leads for just such applications.

Also, with 12 v there's really no great need to go to waterproof (IP68 or similar) rated switches as there's no safety issue, and they are generally more expensive. It's only if you are particularly concerned about a little oxidization on the terminals that it's going to be an issue (camp near the beach lots??). I'd just use any old panel mount switch if you are mounting that globe in a box of some sort, or any handy inline switch if you are mounting the switch on a lead a la Versalight or similar. Mount it well cos those glass dichroic housings break fairly easily if bounced around.

Dave
AnswerID: 155153

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 15:32

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 15:32
Dave,
Thanks for rapid reply : will use silicone to locate the bulbs in 50mm pvc pipe (found a bit up in the shed).
Reason for waterproofing is that my u-beaut $70 fluoro wasn't drip proof 'till the silicone came out, and water would run down the lead into the light.(Hence one less worry if sealed.)
I use Brittax connectors on the fridge and solar leads,but feel there must be a better way. Could probably use about 8 Anderson type connectors, but not at current prices.
Am happy to listen to all advice, but am concerned that David may readmit Nudie.
Jeff H.
AnswerID: 155160

Follow Up By: Boo - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 17:00

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 17:00
I bought a ten pack of 50 amp Anderson plugs from Just Plugs from Ebay,
They cost me $34 plus postage and the 175amp plugs were $17 for a set of 2. As for small connectors for your lighting I used small stereo type plugs from Dick Smith. (well and truely able to carry the low load of a led light or even a Versa light)
FollowupID: 409114

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 18:42

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 18:42
Jeff ,
I can understand your apprehension regarding the re-instatement of the said NUDIE .
Willie .
FollowupID: 409141

Reply By: Member - Fred - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 18:06

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 18:06
3 LED conversion for Maglite from Jaycar - about $15.00
AnswerID: 155176

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:43

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 00:43
Willie,
Ah well, David shall have to live with it - god bless the brave.

Boo,
Thanks. As an old fart, I'm scared of a few things, and ebay is one of 'em; maybe the kids will kick in. (Hopefully you've helped someone else also ).

Fred,
Thanks. Will ask you more later, if you don't mind.

Appreciate all your help,
Jeff H.
AnswerID: 155271

Sponsored Links