broken shocker brackets

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 18:36
ThreadID: 30810 Views:1459 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
It is interesting all the talk about 'which shockers' to put on the 4by.
I have a HJ61 and have had both top shocker brackets on the front crack over the years.
Not too long after I bought the car 2nd hand (with Bilsteins attached) one of the brackets broke, leaving the shocker waving to everybody as we passed. It was successfully welded up by a local engineering firm.
A couple of years later I left the Stuart Hwy to travel the Plenty, and about 50 Kms later I heard a knock and it was the shocker bracket on the other side.
I went up to Tennant Creek and had it welded and the guy who welded it said he did 'plenty of Toyota with aftermarket shockers, they don't extend far enough and break the bracket'!!.
I am not into extreme or even 'fast' travel, still have the same shockers, no more problems.
I must say that I assume that the shockers on my vehicle were for this model.
The history of the car read very well when I bought it so no reason to doubt that the wrong shockers were fitted.
Just interested if anyone else has had problems like this, and possibly any link to non genuine shockers.
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ACDC - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 19:10

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 19:10
Dave,
It maybe possible the shockers are bottoming out before the bump stops do there job,worth checking to make sure!
AnswerID: 155189

Follow Up By: Dave198 - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 19:37

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 19:37
ACDC
This happenned quite a few years ago and I haven't had any problems since, but I would have thought the shocker would be damaged long before it broke the bracket on the chassis.
The shocker was still attached to the part of the chassis bracket, and no damage visible to the shocker.
Dave
FollowupID: 409158

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:23

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 21:23
That was a common problem with 60 series and corrigations, regardless of shockers. I had the experience with a group of several 60 series trucks on the Canning in 1985 and they had cracking problems then. I put it down to the relatively thin bracket material which never looked thick enough to me. Those same trucks had spring failures, front and rear, but to be fair there were a lot of "quality" questions with some spring companies back then. Best fix is to reinforce the tower by laminating more material over it to give it more guts.
AnswerID: 155220

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:40

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:40
The forces involved are fairly high, but I suspect a lot of the breakages are caused by the metal-to-metal shock loadings that occur when the rubber bushes break up and are not replaced.

That these supporting bits break might also give cause for thought (about the energy being dissipated) to those who still believe shock absorbers to be unneccessary for trailers.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 155322

Sponsored Links