Connie Sue or Anne Beadell

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:29
ThreadID: 30832 Views:2285 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Was hoping someone could give us some info, we are travelling from Perth to Alice Springs in June to Watch the Finke and was hoping that on the way home we would take either the Connie Sue from Warburton to Rawlinna then travel along the railway access road to Boulder then home, or we would take the Anne Beadell from Coober Peedy then join onto the Connie Sue at Neal Junction then to Rawlinna and Boulder.

We are leaving Alice on the Monday afternoon and have to be home in Perth by the following Saturday so that gives us about 4.5 days to complete the trip plus a day to get home from Kalgoorlie is this enough time or are we going to be pushing it, as i do not know what the track conditions are like.

There are four vehicles going three of us are towing off road campers, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: signman - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:56

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:56
Connie Sue- from Warburton to Neale Junction (I haven't been Sth of that) should be OK for campers. Anne Beadell also, but does get a bit rough in places- more so between the Unnamed Park & Coober Pedy. Took us 4 and a bit days from CP to Neale Junction, no trailer but heaps of Kodak (sorry- Sony) moments and checking out the history of the area. Only fuel is at Ilkulka about 170k W of the SA/WA border.
AnswerID: 155329

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 14:32

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 14:32
Personally I reckon there is a whole lot more to see by taking the AB to Laverton than the CS south of Rawlinna and transline. Coz you can do the Golden Quest Discovery trail To Kalgoorlie taking inspots like Malcolm dam, Gwalia, Granite creek, Lake Ballard statues Ora Banda and a whole lot more
AnswerID: 155361

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 15:33

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 15:33
From CP along the AB and down the Connie Sue and along the rail line to Kal in 4.5 days.????.just about do it but I suggest you will have little margin for anything else. I did this five months ago but went south from Rawlinna down to the hwy due to flooding of the road along the railway line into Kal. If you do the CS make sure you have a look at Neale Breakaways....simply breathtaking!! Lots a corrugations though so drop ya tyre pressures to relieve some of the impact. Cheers
AnswerID: 155369

Reply By: Otherwise - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 15:43

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 15:43
Hmmmm...you might be pushing it.

Connie Sue is quite corrugated all the way from Warburton to Rawlinna. There are some scenic spots and as said before Neale Breakaways are something to see.

Parts of the Connie Sue can be done at 80kmh to get on top of the corrugations but I doubt if your trailers would like that unless you dropped tyre pressures down to 20+
AnswerID: 155370

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 01:35

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 01:35
Martin, see the plot files for CS & AB. It may give you times but here goes.

CS - Warberton to Neale Junction is 8 hours drive (with a trailer)through very rocky country.

CS- Neale Junction to Rawlinna (8hrs), First bit is a narrow track till you get to the Shed Tank which is level with Plumridge lakes Nature Res. Last 50 km very rocky Limestone country (close to Rawlinna). Most from Tjuntjuntjarra go SW from BM XP26 (gps 36'06' 41"S, 125'36'17"E) to the cable haul rd then west along the Trans line is MUCH quicker.

Great Central Rd is a 4-5 day tripp from Perth to AS without diversions, but can be a bit boring. Northern CS is Breakaway country with table top mountains, then sand dunes when you get close to NJ.

AB is quick (WA) till the WA/SA border then it is slow & coregated to Coober Peady but very interesting to look around.

AB is 1300kms we did it (Cockelbiddy-Rawlinna-Neale Junction-Coober Peady in 8 Days with a Camper trailer. Avegeraging 170kms a day, we were over taken by a troopy (no trailer& no entry in the log books)who did AB from Laverton to CP in 4 days averaging 300+/day.

I presume that you are going to the Finke Desert Race & maybee helping VKS737 as a volentier. Have fun enjoy.

AnswerID: 155483

Reply By: austinrunner - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 04:51

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 04:51
I thought the Trans Continental Railway Service Access Track was closed except for a small section in SA.
AnswerID: 155490

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 11:43

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 11:43
unrestricted Public access. Between kalgoorlie and rawlinna
FollowupID: 409517

Sponsored Links