DIFF experts - (4runner ) question

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 16:49
ThreadID: 30839 Views:1909 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
HI there -- very recenlty i have noticed diff noise when i am driving(91 4 runner sr5 v6 ) - this noise is the typical drive rain noise you here when your stting next to a pantec ( just the wer sound ) This noise is only there when under load -- and becomes obvious from about 80 Km onwards - any other time its almost silent - no grinding or cruncy sounds either

I did have a leaking pinion seal - so i have replaced that - and made sure that i put the crush nut on in the exact same possition that it came of from ( preload )

NOW - could it be the bearings are on there way out ? - how warm does the diff get when operating ? - took it for a one hour drive today and when i got home felt the temperature of the diff -- it was hot - to the point it was just barable to keep hand on ---- but only just ( at the case where bearing meet tailshaft ) so guessing 50 - 60 deg ?

Looked in archives -- but not much info on a tecnical level.... anyone help ?

Frank
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dieselup - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 18:48

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 18:48
Boc
If it 's annoying you and your concerned about it the best thing to do is pull it out and have a look before it fails ,it's not a big job and you might save some $$$
When you drain the oil you should see if there's any failing iron
Our 75 series was noisy and it turned out to be loose bearings and we got out of it for less than $500
Good luck!
AnswerID: 155414

Reply By: Steve M - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 19:23

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 19:23
I have come acroos this before. A contributing reason you may have had a pinion leak is that the "preload" in your pinion is no longer, and due to wear has now become "end float". Putting the nut back in the same position may still be incorrect, if not slightly worse. From memory I have cured this before by simply tightening the pinion nut by feel. I do not neccesarily recomend thid method but being a diesel mechanic I had a good feel for toyota diffs at the time and it was a bit of a bomb. Have a look in a hilux manual to see what the recomended preload (or end float) should be if you are concerned. Checking the oil for metal as the other reply noted is also a good idea.

Steve
AnswerID: 155424

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:55

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:55
Frank
This is very common with diffs, all you have to do is get a new gasket and some oil.
Take out the diff centre and tighten the bearing opposite the pinion, that is the bearing that takes the load when the pinion is pushing agaist the crown wheel, if the niose is just starting tightening by one notch will be enough, you can go more if you have the ability to judge the preload, that is the crown wheel should turn easily but not be loose. Resist the temptation to give it a bit more for luck. Eric
AnswerID: 155463

Follow Up By: Steve M - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:57

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:57
Did you really mean to suggest taking out the diff centre or was this a mistake? from memory (not what it used to be) you just remove the tailshaft and tighten the pinion nut.

Steve
FollowupID: 409607

Follow Up By: Eric Experience. - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 21:31

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 21:31
Steve its the carrier bearing that has to be adjusted not the pinion. Eric.
FollowupID: 409633

Sponsored Links