Battery DIS-charge information ?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:16
ThreadID: 30873 Views:2948 Replies:12 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
How long will a battery hold it's charge when powering a fridge?

I’ve had two 4 year old, Delkor 80 a/h Deep Cycle batteries tested and their report card has shown them as excellent, however just to see for myself I connected the Reefer Premier Fridge to them last night, and run it empty of contents with the lid left open, simply because it would run more often, and consume more power.

I left it connected for 14 hours and noted the battery voltages at various intervals to see what changes there were in voltage during the ‘time connected’

Before the fridge was connected, the two batteries individually were 13.18v and 13.22v, as they had been on a charger some hours earlier and this would justify the ‘surface charge’ however some time after they had been wired in parallel the voltage was 12.83v.

During the 14 hour period, with the fridge compressor actually running, the batteries were showing between 12.51v - 12.54v, indicating that a voltage drop of ~0.35v was taken by the fridge.

After being connected to the fridge for 14 hours, I checked the voltage at the following intervals with the relevant results….
After 14 hours, with the fridge not running the following voltages were;

12.43v - 5 mins after fridge stopped running
12.44v - 10 mins after fridge stopped running
12.46v - 15 mins after fridge stopped running
12.48v - 40 mins after fridge stopped running
12.49v - 1 x hour after fridge stopped running

So I can only assume the voltage may not get back up to a fully charged 12.66v unassisted by the alternator or the solar system after having a fridge connected, with the door left open and no contents, for 14 hours :-((

Would be interesting to see results with an Exide Extreme, or Fullriver AGM Deep Cycle battery using a similar time frame.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:24

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:24
I just plug mine in a it goes until I unplug it or turn it off. Other things to do apart from measure my battery voltage when running my fridge....
AnswerID: 155574

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:48

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:48
Obviously Wizard1,
that's why you took the time to offer your very educational reply :-)

If I asked you how long you can remain camped in the same spot with-out having to recharge your Aux battery, could you actually tell me to the hour?? but I won't ask, as you have stated you have other things to do L0L

FollowupID: 409560

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:59

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:59
Interesting test...now can you tell me how long you can run your motor without oil and water
FollowupID: 409562

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:21

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:21
Gajm (VIC)
"Interesting test...now can you tell me how long you can run your motor without oil and water"

why on earth would I want to drive my vehicle with-out oil and water??

I have a Toyota and it has never run out of either oil or water, so to know the answer to your question is not relevant to me.

To test for yourself, the easiest way would be to remove the sump plug and lower radiator hose, I don't think you could drive for 14 hours?

But knowing how long I can leave my fridge connected to a battery when unattended and uncharged is handy information to have, it lets me park in the shade while I go fishing with the solar system out of the sun and I know I can be there all day and still stay there of a night and continue again to go fishing next day without having a flat battery and warm food.

Sorry I can't help you with your oil and water question... L0L

FollowupID: 409566

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:31

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:31
Silly me, I worked along Wizards lines, of just using it and worrying about more important things......why didn't I think to waste a day with such a realistic test as you performed, you have really shown me the error of my ways.
FollowupID: 409568

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:24

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:24
Gajm (VIC)
I like your bi-line

"If in doubt don't just assume, ask!"

FollowupID: 409579

Reply By: desert - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:48

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:48
"fully charged 12.66v"?? When I went to trade school a charged battery was 12.8 or above. However, why would you expect 100% recovery of the batteries charge state after using power for 14 hours? Or perhaps you were anticipating the result, but would like a comparison of another battery brand? Recovery time would best be measured by recharging the batteries to the same specific gravity level that they started at and noting the time to do this. As the battery ages, this time, naturally will extend to the point where it cannot recharge at all. In other words, you have reached the practical life span of the battery.

AnswerID: 155575

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:06

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:06
desert, I was taught a 12 volt battery has 6 x 2.11v cells = 12.66v

yes I was only anticipating the result, as I was more interested in what percentage the battery would return towards fully charged, and I would like a comparison of other battery brands, as I may still buy a new battery system before winter. As can be seen the batteries I have now appear to be in excellent condition and are staying near fully charged after powering an open fridge for 14 hours.
FollowupID: 409565

Reply By: Ron173 - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:54

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 14:54
G'day Mainey,

I can feel another big debate coming on here!!

Ron
AnswerID: 155576

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:51

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:51
Ron,
I really hope your wrong about that L0L
I posted the numbers and as stated above it's only to get, if possible, comparative numbers from some-one with a large AGM or an Exide Extreme battery to see if my battery is 1/2 good, no good etc...

There’s no reason to debate the results, possibly the way they are presented could have been improved, and maybe I should have run my vehicle at the same time without oil and water just to appease some, but that’s life, you can’t please all the people all the time and I have not tried to do that here.

There will often be some-one, who wants things done a different way for various reasons, but they will not instigate the results themselves.

However, they are quick to condemn what they state they don’t want to know anyway!
FollowupID: 409571

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:46

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:46
Mainey

So at the end of this test you know the battery will last 14 hours, with an empty fridge and door open. Call this the minimum it will last in real use, as in real use it will have some contents & the door will be shut. But to draw any conclusions as to how long it will last in normal use is very difficult.

It would be more realistic to do the test with it say half full and the door shut and test how long it can last then. This would give you a more realistic test.

Alan
AnswerID: 155577

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:56

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:56
I have my doubts if it's wise to force the fridge compressor to run continuously for 14 hours - I'm guessing they are not designed for continuous duty - but maybe some are? I wouldn't do that kind of test either.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 409572

Follow Up By: simple - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:57

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 15:57
thenyou could try repeating it with different contents and different number of door openings, different ambient temperature.... then you could find a realistic minimum, maximun and mean running times...
replication is required for a true experiment.

simple
FollowupID: 409573

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:36

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:36
Alan, I think some are missing the point, I was seeing how long a battery would last, not a fridge, I wanted the worst case scenario and I wanted the answer fast, hence I emptied the fridge and left the door open to make the fridge compressor work much harder and use more power in an attempt to flatten the battery quickly.

As can be seen by the results the fridge still "cycled off" for in excess of an hour at a time, even with the door open and empty, so it did not work that hard at all, which did surprise me.

But ... would a Fullriver AGM give me an even better result?
FollowupID: 409582

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:45

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:45
Why did you risk blowing up the compressor on your fridge? Why didn't you just hook up a couple of head light sealed beam or similar?
I don't really see what you have achieved by ascertaining that you can run your fridge under such extreme conditions for 14 hours? Does this mean that it will run for 28 hours under more realistic condition? Or would it maybe more like 42 hours? Doesn't make any sence to me I'm sorry to say.
FollowupID: 409583

Follow Up By: HJ60-2H - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:54

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:54
If you want an answer fast on how long the battery would last then why not drop a screwdriver across the terminals?? LOL
FollowupID: 409586

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 17:09

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 17:09
Hi Mainey

I'm not "missing the point", this is an area I understand well, I just think your test was unrepresentative, risking your fridge compressor motor and not the best way to do the job.

What would have been better is to measure the fridge running current and apply a resistive load (a lamp, someone suggested) of the same rating to the battery. That way you would know the load is constant (how often and for how long did the fridge cut out in your test) over a given timeframe and you could extrapolate the results with more confidence. It’s all a bit of a guessing game anyway because everything changes with temperature.

Keep in mind also that the discharge rate of a battery is affected by the _total_ load applied to it and lead acids are normally quoted at C/20, ie. being discharged at one twentieth of their capacity - for a 100Ah battery that would be 5 amps. So if you run lights etc as well as the fridge the discharge curve will change. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the whole thing - you'll know soon enough when the battery is dieing.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 409590

Follow Up By: Sarg - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:52

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:52
"I have my doubts if it's wise to force the fridge compressor to run continuously for 14 hours - I'm guessing they are not designed for continuous duty"
Obviously he was using an Engel !!!!
FollowupID: 409614

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:56

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 19:56
Don't they use a Yamaha motor just the same as a Honda and a Waeco?

Mike Harding :)
FollowupID: 409616

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 22:08

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 22:08
Sarg
you state; "I have my doubts if it's wise to force the fridge compressor to run continuously for 14 hours - I'm guessing they are not designed for continuous duty" Obviously he was using an Engel !!!!

Engels have been known to run for 14 hours in the kimberleys due to the difficult task of keeping food cold and/or frozen in 40+ ambient temps, also Waecoes, so I think they should be able to stand up to the conditions I put my Reefer through, it just kept on cycling on an off.

Would be interesting to see an Engel or Waeco used in this manner with a decent battery.

Mike, obviously said very tounge in cheek, however I've not seen a Waeco or even any Honda that uses a Yamaha motor, but good company to be in I supose, L0L
FollowupID: 409756

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 13:42

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 13:42
Hmmm, yeah the experiment works for the purpose but is not entirley accurate as has been said further up in the post. I wouldn't worry to much about having the compressor run, anyone who lives in a warmer climate knows that when it's 38 degrees and humid and your fridge is set to -3 or it runs almost continuously anyway, especially if you have topped it up with warm drinks.
FollowupID: 409815

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:02

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:02
Mainey

You are serious? There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Collyn
AnswerID: 155580

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:12

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:12
Collyn,
You ask "You are serious? There's no such thing as a free lunch"

Am I serious about what ?

FollowupID: 409578

Reply By: Flash - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:35

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:35
Sounds to me like your batteries are in good nick.
But they'll never regain their 12.66v without some energy being put back in- as CR said are you serious??
Depending on battery type, temp, etc around 12.6-12.7v is pretty full.
12.49v 1 hour after discharge indicates to me batteries are probably 75% full.
BUT voltage is a very poor indicator of state of charge, especially till they have sat for preferably 24 hours- no charge OR discharge, so it's not an ideal way to try to ascertain state of charge. (You'll even get variations on "identical" batteries)
Cheers
AnswerID: 155591

Follow Up By: Mike DiD - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:27

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:27
"BUT voltage is a very poor indicator of state of charge,"

- exactly ! There is so much variation - depending on battery construction (deep cycle/starting) electrolyte storage (wet, gel, AGM) plate material (Antimony, Calcium), Temperature, Time since last charge, Time since last discharge, Amount of Acid used in manufacture etc that voltage only gives a relative indication of state of charge.

e.g. My AGM reads 13.0 volts several days after being taken off charge.

Mike
FollowupID: 409645

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 17:14

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 17:14
Mainey
By the comment that the voltage MAY not get back up etc after subtracting from it the considerable energy required to run a fridge (with lid open or not) for many hours and finding rested battery voltage lower than before.

I an genuinely puzzled by the posting. Have I and others misunderstood what you are saying?
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 155599

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 17:54

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 17:54
" By the comment that the voltage MAY not get back up etc, after subtracting from it the considerable energy required to run a fridge for many hours and finding rested battery voltage lower than before.
I'm genuinely puzzled by the posting.
Have I and others misunderstood what you are saying? "

Collyn,
In an attempt to clarify the post, my original question was:
" How long will a battery hold it's charge when powering a fridge? "

Simplified it states: I left my two batteries connected for 14 hours and noted the battery voltages at various intervals during the ‘time connected’

With the fridge compressor running, the batteries indicated a voltage drop of only ~0.35v was taken by the fridge.

So I can only assume, (simply because I did not wait any longer) the voltage may not get back up to a fully charged 12.66v from the, 'plus 1 hour' reading of 12.49v, (a difference anyway of only 0.17v) after 14 hours.

As I have said, it would be interesting to see results with an Exide Extreme, or Fullriver AGM Deep Cycle battery using a similar time frame.

And yes, it could have been done with a light globe, but a Reefer fridge uses eight amps, which is not in the same class as any light globe I have access to!
FollowupID: 409596

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 12:42

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 12:42
8 amps.....not a very efficient fridge then. My Engle with the inferior insulation uses a lot less. You may want to consider one and get a transit bag to improve the isulative properties of this poor quality fridge.

Leroy
FollowupID: 409812

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 13:44

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 13:44
leroy,
can you please explain to me why you believe an 8 amp fridge compressor is not efficient?

Remember; it's not 8 a/h.
FollowupID: 409965

Reply By: Ron173 - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 17:24

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 17:24
What did I tell you eh?

LOL

Ron
AnswerID: 155601

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:06

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:06
Ron,
It's just a simple 'miss-understanding'
however, yes it is own my fault, ask them...
I didn't mean it to be a 'confrontational' post :-)
FollowupID: 409598

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:34

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:34
Mainey
I now understand what you are seeking to do.

There are however quite a few problems in the method used.

Firstly I think you are assuming (as are most of the respondents) that an open chest fridge will use a lot more energy than if closed. It is likely to use more - but necessarily that much more. This is because all that is being cooled is air, and this requires only very small amounts of energy. Cold air falls and hot air rises - so there is not that much heat transfer either. (That's why Coles can have open chest fridges without pulling all the wires out of the local power station. The glass slides on ice-cream fridges are mostly to stop rug rats sticking their grotty little fingers into the merchandise!).

The voltage drop related to consumption also includes the voltage drop between battery and fridge - and hence we do not know much of the energy used is fridge consumption - or heating up whatever bit of Oz you live in via cord losses.

We have no idea of the ambient temperature, nor changes in that temperature, nor of the the themostat setting of the fridge, nor the temperature at the bottom of that fridge.

In other words there are so many independent and interdependant variables that the experiment really has no meaning.

A more meaningful experiment would be have the fridge loaded with a few litres of water (at a known insertion temperature) with the lid closed. A constant load of about 5% of the batteries total Ah capacity. An ammeter monitoring current drawn and a voltmeter monitoring the voltage directly across the fridge (which ideally would be within 0.1% of battery voltage. There's probably little you could about keeping the ambient temperature stable - but if this could be recorded every hour or so one can make a fairly accurate mathematical correction (energy used increases by approx 5% for every 1 degree C increase).

Sorry to seem such a wet blanket re what you are doing - but results based on hairy methodology become next month's website folklaw!
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 155632

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:56

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:56
Wow !

What amps does that fridge draw again ?

14 Hours door open, was the thermostat set at room temperature ?

Helloooo ! Lights on but nobody home !

This should be good :-))))))

Sounds Like a email I just received...

Last weekend I saw something at Larry's Pistol & Pawn Shop that sparked my
interest. The occasion was our 22nd anniversary and I was looking for a
little something extra for my wife Toni. What I came across was a
100,000-volt, pocket/purse-sized taser. The effects of the taser were
supposed to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on your
assailant, allowing her adequate time to retreat to safety... WAY TOO COOL!

Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home. I loaded two
triple-A batteries in the darn thing and pushed the button. Nothing! I was
disappointed. I learned, however, that if I pushed the button AND pressed it
against a metal surface at the same time; I'd get the blue arc of
electricity darting back and forth between the prongs.Awesome!!!
Unfortunately, I have yet to explain to Toni what that burn spot is on the
face of her microwave.

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it
couldn't be all that bad with only two triple-A batteries, right? There I
sat in my recliner, my cat Gracie looking on intently (trusting little soul)
while I was reading the directions and thinking that I really needed to try
this thing out on a flesh & blood moving target. I must admit I thought
about zapping Gracie (for a fraction of a second) and thought better of it.
She is such a sweet cat. But, if I was going to give this thing to my wife
to protect herself against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would
work as advertised. Am I wrong?

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading glasses
perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, taser
in another. The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and
disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle
spasms and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would
purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water.
Any burst longer than three seconds would be wasting the batteries.All the
while I'm looking at this little device measuring about 5" long, less than
3/4 inch in circumference; pretty cute really and loaded with two itsy,
bitsy triple-A batteries) thinking to myself, "no possible way!"What
happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best...

I'm sitting there alone, Gracie looking on with her head thingyed to one
side as if to say, "don't do it master," reasoning that a one-second burst
from such a tiny little ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad... I decided to
give myself a one-second burst just for the heck of it. I touched the prongs
to my naked thigh, pushed the button, and HOLY MOTHER, WEAPONS OF MASS
DESTRUCTION!@&$!%!@*!!!I'm pretty sure Jessie Ventura ran in through the
side door, picked me up in the recliner, then body slammed us both on the
carpet, over and over and over again. I vaguely recall waking up on my side
in the fetal position, with tears in my eyes, body soaking wet, both nipples
on fire, testicles nowhere to be found, with my left arm tucked under my
body in the oddest position, and a tingling in my legs.

The cat was standing over me making meowing sounds I had never heard before,
licking my face, undoubtedly thinking, "do it again, do it again!"Note: If
you ever feel compelled to "mug" yourself with a taser, one note of caution:
there is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap yourself. You will
not let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent
thrashing about on the floor. A three second burst would be considered
conservative. SON-OF-A-*&^%* that hurt like hell!!!

A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at that
point), collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the
landscape. My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. How
did they up get there? My triceps, right thigh and both nipples were still
twitching. My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocaine, and my
bottom lip weighed 88 lbs. I'm still looking for my testicles! I'm offering
a significant reward for their safe return. Still in shock.Eric

Regards Derek from ABR www.sidewinder.com.au
AnswerID: 155655

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:20

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:20
Derek, what the above has to do with this post, i dont know. But damn, i had a good laugh.

rick.
FollowupID: 409654

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:25

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:25
I was just wondering if those 3 AAA's were deep cycle and if they could run for 14 hours.

FollowupID: 409656

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 21:53

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 21:53
Derek
you ask:
What amps does that fridge draw again -> "8 amps"

14 Hours door open, was the thermostat set at room temperature -> "No, was left at the normal +1 degree, that's why the fridge cycled and did not run continuously"

Helloooo ! Lights on but nobody home -> Ummm, that would be true, after all I didn’t use a Taser on myself, from memory their directions actually declare the dangers associated with self inflicted use, don’t they??
:-)))
FollowupID: 409755

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 22:16

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 22:16
Luckily the taser story is not my own and I agree to what instructions say. Did the fridge instructions mention keeping the door closed ? lol ;-)
FollowupID: 409757

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:35

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:35
In reality jokes aside... LOL ... Still love that Taser joke !!

2x 80ah = 160ah

Fridge ?? Like I said what is the amp draw but if we take a average of 3 amps running with the silly door open we should see those batteries die in about 53 hours give or take ?? The voltage recovery after doing such a silly thing for 14 hours is quite normal for 160 ah that has only used 42ah or less. 25 % down from a full charge on a charger.

Hope you had at least a few coldies in the other fridge while this was going on.

Nobody can give you any accurate figures on your lab test at this stage but I will keep reading.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 155659

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 13:43

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 13:43
A brief comment on the posting - '8-amps, not a very efficient fridge then'.

This can be true - but it does not necessarily follow that it is.

Fridges cycle on and off, and the ratio of 'on' time to 'off' time affects the overall current drawn. Thus a fridge that _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 2.5 amps but is 'on' for a total of eight hours a day (20 Ah/day) has the same daily draw as another that _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 2.0 amps but is on for ten (20 Ah/day).

The main determinant is thermal mass. Heavier fridges are likely to have longer cycle times. This is desirable as the start-up current of a fridge compressor motor is much greater than its running current. Because of this a motor drawing a steady current of 2 amps but cycling on and off every minute or two (in a 1:1 ratio) may well draw a lot more curent in an hour than one drawing 3 amps but cycling on and off for five minutes (at the same 1:1 ratio).

This happens. An Autofridge _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 5-6 amps. But if used in the usual pumped down mode it is typically on for only four hours a day (20-24 Ah). A generally similar-sized biggish Engel _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx about 3.5 amps but, (in similar usage) is on for eight to nine hours (28 Ah/day min).

To save people disputing the above example - I have two such fridges (73-litre Autofridge and new 60-litre Engel) - and I quote what they actually do. Both are great fridges, but with different characteristics. The Autofridge uses less energy but only if in more or less permanantly use (which ours is) because it takes quite a few hours to drop from (say) 30 degrees C to 4 degrees C.

The Engel however will drop from 35 degrees to 7 degrees during the 30-minute shlepp into Broome. It uses a fair bit more power in doing so but readily lends itself to turning on and off only for short times if so needed.

Once at the same operating temperature the Autofridge still has a fair edge, but is less convenient to use as it must be turned off and on morning and evening (they are typically on from 7-9 am - and if needed 5-7 pm - less if in cooler areas).

The present marketing emphasis on low current steady state consumption is little more than hype. Except that heavier cable is needed, it make little odds whether a fridge _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 10 amps for three hours a day - or 2 amps for 15 hours a day.

Watch those low-amps claims - you are simply being suckered! It's totally meaningless unless you know the average daily draw.
Collyn Rivers

AnswerID: 155842

Sponsored Links