Turbo Timer Installation

Submitted: Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:42
ThreadID: 30879 Views:9363 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 3.0L Intercooled Turbo Diesel Rodeo. I went to install a turbo timer I had just purchased, it was a cheapie but seemed to work fine, but the problem was around the ignition barrel there is a Black ring with wire attached. I think it might be my immobiliser but not sure because when I pul that ring off my car won't start. I was just wondering how to install the turbo timer to keep my ngine running like it should. I got the timer to switch on and work only it wont keep my engine running. Any help would be appreciated thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:59

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 16:59
Can't help with the wiring mine only had 3 wires, ground, ignition and power, being a petrol vehicle it was easy to hook up.
Bear in mind that some insurance companies will not insure a vehicle with one fitted.
Also never attempt to start the vehicle without being in the drivers seat especially if it is a manual, if it starts in gear and takes off you cannot switch it off!
AnswerID: 155597

Reply By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:22

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:22
I simply installed mine as per the directions (Chinese as they were), and it worked. I didn't notice any black ring an wire. I simply tapped into the ignition wires near the ignition switch.

Dave O
AnswerID: 155609

Reply By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:27

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:27
The black ring is likely to the receiver for the imobiliser, hence if its not on, it wont work.

Hmm tricky one, had a friend with a jeep and had the same problem, they ended up having to put in some sort of bypass or such to trick the imobilser into staying on.

What sort of timer did you get? There are many 'plug and plays' available. I purchased a Boggard for $210 and took about 10 minutes to install and no issues with imobilisers.
AnswerID: 155610

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:24

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:24
If Holden warrantied it for 100,000km & 3 years without one what makes you think you need one?

If they were really necessary they'd be factory fitted as standard.

Dave
AnswerID: 155629

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:18

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:18
I had a wrx as a lease car , and the cool down requirements varied depending on weather I was going to keep it or not.

Do you think any manufacturer would fit timers to save the turbos in five years time when the warranty expires in three.

Damage occours when the vehicle has been used on boost , EG highway driving and is turned off, EG when pulling in for fuel off the highway without warming down , this burns oil in the bearings / seals of the turbo due to high turbo temp.

Never had a turbo timer just use common sense.

Glenn.
FollowupID: 409642

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:31

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:31
If you read the GU manual that came with the car, it actually says that it is necessary to idle the engine if the vehicle had been woking hard towing or driving fast.

Now whether you need a turbo timer, or whether you wish to sit in the car and wait is debatable, but Nissan says it is necessary to idle the vehicle to allow the turbo to cool down.

So technically if they could establish you didn't follow the procedure in the manual, they could argue your warranty is void. A long bow I know

It is definitley in my manual.
FollowupID: 409646

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:34

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:34
Hadn't looked at it like that. What's the life span of a poorly treated Turbo vs a well treated one anyway?

Where ever I go usually involves an idle or low rev low speed into a stop (eg off the main road into the back streets to home) but if I do a long hill climb off road I do make a point of leaving it run as I get out at the top to admire the view.

Then turn it off a bit later.

Dave
FollowupID: 409647

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:37

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:37
I just noticed, I am talking Nissan and the original query was about a rodeo...Duh...must have misread the original post. Anyway, to argue that manufacturers would fit a timer if it was necessary is ludicrouus becasue for one, they could find themselves in trouble if owners use them because using one may be illegal (depending on hoe you use it). Additionally when have you ever heard of a manufacturer who was motivated by anything other than cost?
FollowupID: 409649

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:40

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 22:40
I must learn to type one day :-)
FollowupID: 409650

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:13

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 23:13
Hi David,

I worked for Holden in Engineering for nearly 10 years.

Actually warranty claims are a huge issue. They strived to attain levels much lower than they had at the time. One of their benchmarks was the Honda at the time from memory and they looked at number of claims per 100 vehicles or something. (Long time ago now.)

Warranty claims present a two fold cost - dollars and consumer confidence.

They aim to decrease one and increase the other in the same effort.

Your point about whether it failed in the warranty period is valid though because their concern was purely related to warranty period.

Interestingly in all the time that I worked there their worst car for warranty issues was the imported Calibra (Opel). Despite not having a lemon law in Australia from what I recall they actually bought at least two back off customers.

Dave
FollowupID: 409653

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 20:10

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 20:10
Dont need one ?? then why does every long haul truck use one ?? if the donk has a turbo idle up [warm up] and idle down [cool down] are seen as resonable for longevity of the motor and turbo ,wont go into the legal /insurance aspects of leaving a vehicle with the motor running unatended ,, ie: totaly against the law in QLD.
FollowupID: 409751

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 09:00

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 09:00
"it was a cheapie but seemed to work fine" Mate what are you doing??

Your time would be better spent pulling all this crap out of your vehicle and putting it in the bin. It's only going to end in tears one day when you come to an unexpalined stop out in the middle of nowhere. You know what to do if things get hot....let it idle down for a minute or two or drive slowly before stopping.
AnswerID: 155692

Reply By: Chaz - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 11:36

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 11:36
Hi Phreeq,
You'll need to fit another relay to get around your imobilizer, and activate it after the motor has stopped. Any auto sparky should be able to help you out.
On the subject of timers, I too was told I didn't need one, but after fitting an EGT gauge you soon see the benifit. I've set mine for 2 minutes, because thats how long it takes for it to get down to 200 deg.C from normal running temp, around 350C.

Chaz
AnswerID: 155714

Follow Up By: Phreeq - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 02:12

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 02:12
Thanks chaz considering I was only asking for help with the installation of it and getting around the immobiliser ring you are one of the very few people who haven't gone on about warranties and insurance I couldn't give a crap about all that I just want it fitted because it DOES improve the life of the turbo and you are about the only one to give me a straight forward answer thanks mate.
FollowupID: 409780

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 13:07

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 13:07
I've had a Volvo petrol turbo car for quite a few years now, turbo was replaced by the previous owner at 176k. I bought the car from him at 179k, fitted a TT I found at the wreckers ($10) and have been religious with the 5k oil changes. It is now about to clock up 350k and the turbo and the engine is fine, uses no more oil than it ever has, goes like a cut snake.
When I have been 'motoring' at night on the open road the exhaust manifold, turbo housing and the first 300mm of the exhaust are all glowing a nice red/orange colour, you can actually 'see' through the manifold and turbo housing as the turbine and oil and water galleries are cooler and stand out.
Underbonnet temps are horrific but completely standard according to several volvo mechanics that I asked when I first bought the car.
Much hotter than a diesel engine and I reckon the TT has made a big difference the the turbo and engine life.
Just don't tell your insurance company as they may refuse cover.
AnswerID: 155727

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 14:16

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 14:16
"Just don't tell your insurance company as they may refuse cover."

If you don't & have an accident, they may refuse to pay!
FollowupID: 409715

Sponsored Links