Submitted: Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 00:42
ThreadID: 30897 Views:2280 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
For links: not much help

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 00:55

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 00:55
Hi Glenn,

found that one myself via google. Could be it but the caption on the website gives little help in identifying it :"An old railway tunnel near a small town, whose name we will never remember".

Trev

AnswerID: 155674

Follow Up By: RosscoH - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 08:38

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 08:38
Hi, By the photo it doesn't look like the tunnel at Mt Perry, you can drive through it,was there about 3 years ago.
Cheers RosscoH
FollowupID: 409675

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 11:42

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 11:42
also found this picture of Muntapa Tunnel which could be the same one. Incorrect for competition however.

Muntapa

Trev
FollowupID: 409697

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 01:17

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 01:17
Just noticed the similarity in our rig pics. Your Cruiser looks a bit too clean for my liking however! ...... Probably lots I could say (and open up the Patrol Cruiser friendly banter) but I will leave it there (LOL)

Cheers
Trevor
AnswerID: 155677

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 01:52

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 01:52
Glenn,

I had a bit of a surf around your website and notice you are running LPG as I am.
I'm not sure what your tank configeration is but I have 90Lt (useable) Gas + 40 Lts Petrol (+ jerries).

I am planning a Simpson Crossing this year and have concerns regading the unavailability of LPG and therefore my range. Clearly the LPG will be kept in reserve and the petrol topped up at every opportunity but I would be interested in how you coped on your Simpson Crossing in this regard.

I understand LPG is available in Coober Pedy and Leigh Creek but essentially nowhere in between?

I have plenty of jerrries (a total of 95 Lt in various sizes) but they all take space and add weight so would appreciate any advice from your experiences re how many you carried etc.

Thanks
Trevor
AnswerID: 155679

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:53

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:53
Hi Trevor,

I did have LPG, but have since removed it to run solely on petrol. I did this as I issues with the gas system and it was cheaper to rip it out than repair it.

As far as the Simpson went, I had replaced my main fuel tank with a Long Range Automotive 145l tank that I topped up at Oodnadatta and Mount Dare. I also had four 10l jerries on the roof rack that I emptied as soon as I could across the desert. I also had 85l usable LPG as reserve. I made it across the desert purely on petrol from Mount Dare to Birdsville travelling 680km.

If you have room underneath your vehicle, I highly recommend a long range tank be fitted. It is safer than carrying a heap of jerries and you will use it a lot in the outback. You are correct about the availability of LPG on a Simpson crossing.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 409686

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 02:05

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 02:05
G'day Glenn,
I'm sorry that you are still confined to the dismal winters and atrocious summers of our (otherwise) wonderful island.
There is a tunnel, perchance the longest hand -hewn ( whatever that means. Perhaps 'death-by-foot' .) ,tunnel in a very long distance: maybe even in the Southern hemisphere.
It's located kinda between a lovely wee place called Mt Perry and the Pacific Ocean, around the Bundaberg latitude.
We reckon the whole deal is definately worth a look on your way through.
(All of the above does relate to the "Big Tunnel", doesn't it?)
Cheers mate,
Jeff H.
(ps. hate to admit, but we're deserting Qld for Tas in 13 days. We love a lot of what you have. Also number plates: 'Vic The Place To Be "

. So why on god's Earth do you come to Qld ?
( Is it secretly that you believe it IS the Smart state?

Seriously, the tunnel and surrounding areas are good for a look (and the Barra are still on at Monduran dam).
AnswerID: 155680

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:53

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:53
Hi Jeff,

The link is not to my website, that is just one I found on Google trying to solve the bloody puzzle...aaaarrrrrggggghhhh
FollowupID: 409687

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 09:07

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 09:07
OMG!!!

I feel NORMAL now!!!

Other people were ALSO looking thru Google, looks like this damn thing has got us all hooked....

For a while there, I thought I was like.... possessed or something...
AnswerID: 155693

Sponsored Links