Jackeroo Batteries

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 18:48
ThreadID: 30908 Views:2436 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

A close friend owns a 2001 Jackeroo 3L turbo diesel (wide track) that has 2 starting batteries, which are Century NS70X and state a CCA of 520. He has a car fridge (engel 29L) and tows a new 18ft Roma van that is wired for 12 volt and 240v via a converter. He wants to be able to have an auxiliary battery which will run 12v lights in the van and also the car fridge whilst bush camping and also not have to rely on 240v to charge up.

Now for the questions. :
1, Does anyone know why the Jackeroo needs 2 starting batteries? And does 2 x 520cca starting batteries = 1040cca
2, Is 2 starting batteries standard on this model?
3, Will adding a 3rd battery via an isolator put undue stress on the alternator as it is already charging 2 starting batteries?
4, If a 3rd battery (Aux) is added where have people put them as there does not seem to be any room in the engine bay?

Clayts

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 19:20

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 19:20
Hi Clayts,

I think itwould be better to mount the 3rd battery in the van as this means he will have 12 volt power in the van without being connected up to the car when bush camping.

I would fit an isolator between the two starting batteries and then charge the van from the 2nd battery. This way the fridge would run off the 2 auxillary batteries and leave the main startiing battery isolated. The alternator will handle the load it is just the charge rate that would be decreased as it is spread across the 'grid'.

As to your question why are there two batteries fitted. This relates to the heavy electrical loads on modern vehicles and their engines higher compression ratio's. If you isolate your accessories then one cranking battery is fine.

Regards Derek
AnswerID: 155759

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 20:13

Saturday, Feb 18, 2006 at 20:13
The Jack can be a bugger to start in cold weather - all to do with oil grades - even with the recommended grade it can still be a bugger - owners were having so much drama that Holden starting shipping them with two batteries around 2000 I think, just so you can spin it over longer. An excellent injection system (Caterpillar) but it has this "cold" thing - users in mild climates, using the 10W-40 oil (such as myself) can get away with one battery - I use a 700CCA Overlander (they probably ship with a main 600CCA). Users in cold climates run on 5W-30 and 0W-30 in some cases - crazy. As for mine, I ask the main battery to do no more than start the motor. The aux is used for a variety of accessories.
AnswerID: 155761

Sponsored Links