Roof Top Tent

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 14:55
ThreadID: 3093 Views:1959 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

The Treasuer and myself are contemplating a roof top tent. My question is what is the best type and what are the advantages/disadvantages? Has anybody first hand knowledge. We are also planning a trip to Cameron Corner any tips?

JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 21:03

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 21:03
I looked at these roof tents for a long time. I did not really see a problem with having to climb up to bed. What I did see a problem with was the lack of mosquito and fly proofing. As much as I love the outdoors, I like to cook, eat and sleep without ANY flies or mosquitoes.

Expect quit a hit in fuel consumption with a roof rack whatever format it may be.
AnswerID: 11892

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 22:30

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 22:30
Did all the 'research' a few years ago with the 'boss' who was happy with an Aussie Traveller..... made in Brisbane and the pick of the crop... lots of imitations out there with ship shape units to howling moons... none stack up as more than an expensive copy and a sad copy... we could not be happier with the Aussie unit and as a robust strong unit have put it through a lot of bad weather, rain , cold and winds and have been nothing but impressed at the way it cops all the outback weather !! Would not look at anything else and if I'm not wrong they are still the least expensive !!
AnswerID: 11901

Reply By: Greg - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:54

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:54
I bought my first roof top camper in 1974 and only recently had it re canvassed with some improvements. They are a great way to go but like everything they have there strenghts and weaknesses. Certainly for the Simpson or Canning they are great as towing a trailer is an absolute no no. Fuel consumption drops by 1-2 kpl depending on wind which is about the same drop as towing a camper trailer. The climbing the ladder only becomes a problem as you get older. I am 55 and still have no problems but at 65-70 it might be another story. Mine has stood up to cylconic conditions without any problems. Dust can get in if not covered properly and the biggest disadvantage is once set up you can't use your vehicle. I think a small very strong hard floored camper trailer is the best all round option with a small tent or even swag for when the trailer cannot be used. I use a single pole tent like the bus tours use if I am staying any longer than one night.
AnswerID: 11916

Reply By: Alpaca - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 12:42

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 12:42
I recently purchased a second hand Shipp Shape on the recommendation of several fellow club members some who have had them for approx 10 years. We have done about 5 trips in their company and the packing and unpacking of bedding was always a pain you know where. They take a very short time to erect and pack and if you plan ahead before you set camp and restock your stores it is not a problem. Best thing is that you arrive at your camp site, park the car and a minute later, the bed is ready and you can be on the second beer while the others are still flounering around. Happy trails
AnswerID: 11919

Reply By: Mark - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:53

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:53
We bought a Howling Moon rooftop 12 months ago. Rooftops are great for touring as previously mentioned they are quick and easy to put up & down. Not really suited for staying for longer periods in one spot as you lose the use of the vehicle unless you pack them up every time. Also storage and taking them on and off the vehicle can be a pain as they are around 55kg and quite bulky to store. Very happy with it so far though & the advantages tend to outweigh the disadvantages. The Howling Moon is well made and quite comfortable & no problems so far to speak of.
Cheers
AnswerID: 11946

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:57

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:57
watch that first step if you had a few drinks...
AnswerID: 11948

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:58

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:58
If your only going to Camerons Cnr, 2 swags would save the day...

Simple to set up as well!
FollowupID: 6828

Reply By: royce - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:13

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:13
My rooftop has travelled 'round oz a few times. It has lived on top of the troopie facing several different directions and also on top of a little '82 subie where it travelled much of tassie with a canoe balanced on top. It is currently on top of the offroad trailer. They are great. Problem is .... you have to remember not to jump in an drive off with it set up. Cheers Royce PS. Mine's not labelled. Don't know what brand [got it off brother who got it with a company car]. It's a double, fold out aluminium setup with a ladder. Simple and effective, but not downstairs room.
AnswerID: 11965

Sponsored Links