No AM on dee wireless

Submitted: Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 00:20
ThreadID: 30941 Views:1421 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi one and all A couple of months ago I had a problem with a Alpine Cassett player with a 6 stacker attahment , it works perfectly except I cant pick up AM on the radio , Today I thought it was time that i replaced it because all the information I was given on the problem was that it had burned out some diode that stops it from changing to AM so I went and bought one that is compatable with the stacker put it in , and you would not believe it I have still got the same problem . Has anyone ever had this problem , FM works realy well with long distant reception , any ideas would be well and trully apriciated and thanks to anyone that responds . Cheers Roughneck.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 05:20

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 05:20
I have exactly the same problem with my Patrol. FM works perfectly but AM is useless, has loud noise over it. Turns out the problem is the window tinting. Because the AM antenna is in the back passenger side window, and the vehicle is tinted with metallic window tint, that it causes problems with AM.
The AM comes a bit better away from power lines.
AnswerID: 155915

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 08:43

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 08:43
Check your antennas earth. AM won't work with an unearthed antenna but FM will.

Easy to do using a multimeter on the outer pole of the antenna plug that goes into the back of your radio.
AnswerID: 155930

Follow Up By: Roughneck - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:00

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:00
Thanks to Peter and Utemad for their replies , I will have to give up and go to the pros , Peter I have had a real good look for that extra arial wire but cant find one and the book does not mention it I have got the fealin that utemad might be on the money , I have at one stage taken the antena base out and made sure that it was well eathed but no good so I am on my way out to blow a hundred dollars to get someone to have a look at it , thanks again and cheers from roughneck
FollowupID: 409930

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:17

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:17
Are you able to do the test that I mentioned yourself?

Since you have had two radios in your car and AM works on neither then I am sure it would be the antenna earth.

Although if you do have to take it to a shop to get it looked at I shouldn't think it would cost any more than approx $60 so long as you don't need any parts.

From memory the Nissan Patrol has a double antenna plug. So instead of the long thin pointy plug which is standard on most cars the Patrol has a round stubby plug with two pins. To fit an aftermarket stereo you need an adapter to plug the factory antenna plug into it.

What year/vehicle do you have?
FollowupID: 409933

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:27

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:27
The cable below is for connecting a Nissan radio to an aftermarket antenna. So this shows you the Nissan plug I was talking about as well as the normal plug.

So the reason you couldn't find a second antenna plug is because there isn't one.
FollowupID: 409936

Follow Up By: Roughneck - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 14:37

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 14:37
Thanks for all your help forumites , I went out to my local radio installer and just my luck he has gone out of business so went to the auto lecky and he seam to think that it was the aerial so went and bought one went home and pulled the radio back out to install the aerial and what I found would amaze you it had a special addapter with power connected I pulled that out and wam oh away she went AM FM the lot bloody mongrel so all up it cost $289 for the radio $42 for the arial none of which I neaded so I was wondering if anyone got the lesson I learned , go and pull the lot apart and check it out before handing over the goodies and buying new parts , I bet if I had taking it to the pros they would not have told me about this other wire after installing the new gear .... Not to worry it is only money when it is all said and done .. Thanks to all once again for all your help ,Roughneck
FollowupID: 409981

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 15:00

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 15:00
Well that came from left field. I guess it was a powered signal booster.

Have a go at selling your old gear on Ebay. Who knows you might just come out ahead :-)
FollowupID: 409990

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 16:49

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 16:49
G'Day Roughneck,

I put in a 10dB booster to try to get better signal out in the sticks, better on FM, but guess what - no reception at all on AM.

Pull the booster out and AM returns.

sounds exactly what you've found, bl&&dy booster cost me $35 and now in the bin

Regards

Rolande
FollowupID: 410343

Sponsored Links