bush camping

Submitted: Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 22:23
ThreadID: 30989 Views:2646 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Dear Explorers

Hi, it has been a while! Can someone help with advice on how to 'go bush'? We have all the gear for being self-sufficient in the bush, and yet this weekend's camping found us huddled on a strip of lawn between permanent caravans when next door was a fantastic white beach with 4WD access. How do we know where we can and can not camp? Can any of you experienced campers advise on places where we can go around Perth? Anywhere within about 1000km, that is! I always feel if we pull off the road we are on someone's land, and we keep ending up in horrid camp sites when there is stunning bush and fantastic scenery out there being experienced by others.

Humboldts Down Under
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TP M (SA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 22:52

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 22:52
Urro Umboldts

If your a bit new at it I would recommend trying national parks first. They are always very scenic ( hence the protection ) and it is cleary layed out where you can and can not camp.
You will have to pay small fees usually and carry in your own wood. (should do that anywhere really)Some have toilet facilities some dont. That should let you know if you really love the bush.Nothing like a million flies on the nether regions to sort out the softies.
Stay away from caravan parks unless you really love them.I couldnt think of anything worse personally !!! :)
Once you get used to the camping in NPs try some bush tag along treks or head more than 1000 klicks away to see more remote areas.

Remember to tread lightly and leave nothing but footprints... Have fun ! : )
AnswerID: 156151

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 23:44

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 23:44
If you have a look at some maps, you will find quite a few "reserves", there are some good little spots out near york or around brookton (only an hour or so out of perth) Also go and explore around the Lane Pool Reserve in dwellingup, you have to pay to get in there if you go in the main entrance, and there are plenty of set out camp sites (which I don't like, everyone cramped in together!!). If you keep heading onwards through the reserve you will end up on some 4wd tracks, plenty of tracks down to the river that have some really nice secluded places to camp on the river banks. Also grab the "Eastern Goldfields" weekend trips book (any 4wd shop or camping store should sell it) and there are some really good places out Kalgoorlie/southern cross way for you to explore, but they generally need more than you bog standard weekend to get through. Member message me if you would like some more info. Just make sure (as said above and I'm sure you already know) just make sure no one ever knows you've been there, keep it clean.
AnswerID: 156167

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 00:59

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 00:59
Start taking tracks to "nowhere" and you will soon get to know that there are many bush and beach camping spots that are very secluded and for a few nights nobody will even know you are there---works for me for many years.But as othershave said when you leave there should be noevidence that you were ever there.Be adventurous and enjoy.
AnswerID: 156176

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 03:08

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 03:08
Ifyou are after remote bush camping the the goldfields is where it is at. Plenty of bush with more vegetation and trees than the deserts. I went SW of coolgardie last trip and unfortunatly had a mate on a short leash with me. otherwise the track I was On i would have followed through until the Holland track around cat camp then back to Coolgardie. I have never came accross another vehicle when out on the tracks let alone camped nearsomeone. it is not uncommon to tke tracks where some of your wheel marks are visible from 1yr ago with no one passing over them since
AnswerID: 156180

Follow Up By: JJ - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:42

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:42
Being new to the game or not, never head into the unknown without first advising family, freinds or local police of your plans and destination, especially to remote areas such as above (...it is not uncommon to tke tracks where some of your wheel marks are visible from 1yr ago with no one passing over them since)(sic).
Accidents, breakdowns and unforeseen illness happens to the best of us.
FollowupID: 410233

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:30

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:30
There used to be some good spots in Busselton State Forrest. I can remember camping right on the river for a few glorious nights back in 1983.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 156186

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:52

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:52
Humboldts

Australia is full of wonderful places to visit and more so out in the West.

Get yourself some good maps and follow your noses. If you find a likely place Google it and you may well find some good information close at hand.

If you decide to go to remote places make sure you have adequate water, effective communications(being HF Radio or Satphone) or emergency equipment such as an EPIRB or basic recovery gear.

Enjoy. There are many opportunities for adventure.

The Holland Track is a good run with some very peaceful campsites and within reach of a weekend away from Perth.

Cheers

AnswerID: 156198

Reply By: Barnesy - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:45

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:45
Get yourself a book on free camping sites. These sites are less likely to be 'inhabited' by many tourists. Apart from that go to the National Parks during non-school holiday periods.
Barnesy
AnswerID: 156206

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 13:46

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 13:46
CALM WA National Parks

Check out-
north beaches- Two Rocks/ Wedge Island, Lancelin
mud- Collie Dam
South beaches - Black point/Lake Jasper Augusta
Also check a map/speak to a CALM office near Nanga/Dwellingup, Nannup, Pemberton, Jurien, Hyden.

As mentioned, take some of the smaller less used tracks more often. If they dont go to someone's shed they will often go to some pretty decent camp spots.
AnswerID: 156247

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 19:53

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 19:53
HI HDU

I'd suggest that you buy "Camps Australia Wide 3"for about $50. It has lots of roadside rest areas and some caravan parks, but also some beaut secluded areas and w efound it real beaut when in WA late last year.

Also, have a flick through some of the "Tour Australia by 4WD" type books and maybe buy one that featuires the SW well.

Get a "Street Smart" map from a map shop too - I think WA residents are allowed to buy them too - they show lots of camp sites.

Also, ahve you looked uphttp: //www.naturebase.net/tourism/camping.html ?

Happy camping - the West is just superb.

Max
AnswerID: 156316

Reply By: Eric M - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 00:43

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 00:43
Hi Humboldts,
Sounds like you are new and probably lack some experience.
I suggest you join a 4WD club, there are plenty on offer you will not only gain some valuable experiences in bush camping but also hone up your 4wd driving expertise and make a lot of good friends along the way.
Most clubs require you attend at least 2 general meetings and 2 overnight camping trips. An excellent way of meeting and greeting and enjoying some of the best camping spots in the world in safe company, and all for a an average princely sum of about $60 membership fees per year.
Log into the WA 4WD Association web page and you can probably find a 4wd club near you. Best of luck and enjoy.
EricM WA.
AnswerID: 156949

Sponsored Links