Grampians drive yesterday

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:50
ThreadID: 30996 Views:2007 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Coming to conclusions on the park management are a long way off at the moment but after just five hours sleeping on it I guess I would wonder if DSE management can do so.

Seeing that they like a good hot burn, why do they then go to a point quite a few kilometres North of Dunkeld to do their fire control break and do a bulldozed strip 20-30 metres wide beside the access track? Of course the back burn is beside that, much cooler and trees are recovering in that area already.

There are many roads closed as local councils don't want the responsibility of cars having trees drop on them and the main road is speed advised to 80kph in parts because of the potential falling trees. I could not say that I would go on any of the closed roads of course but know that the burn along roads like the Mafeking road to the old mining settlement was extremely hot and I can only think that the lifestyle homes Heather and I saw ther last year could not have survived. The Jimmy Creek road has locked gates off the main drag too, which of course goes down to Mafeking.

The cost of making these roas safe again will be born by local ratepayers I guess with some tokenism from the State government for its policies that supported the park burn.

I must say I have some difficulty coming to terms with it in my mind and know that the community is just not being told the truth of the issues of the policies. The people I have spoken with are very positive towards the firefighters and the way in which homes are threatened and then a helicopter load of water like heavens angel to defend you. The positive thoughts are with the DSE firefighers just as much as the CFA

Restoration of areas is hampered though by red tape. Talking to a person I have known for a long time talks of the frustration of the farmers in refencing to be told by DSE that they can clear a two metre strip for the new fence. This guy talks to and counsels lots in that area. I just saw him at the shop in Willaura. I am not sure that EO forumites are aware that seldom will you ever find machinery that would fit into such a small space to drive posts or assist in the fencing. DSE regulations on the width of bulldozer blades have hampered the fire defences just as the restoration work, though I understand now are being relaxed.

RED TAPE in the form of regulation near the Grampians National Park - yes State controlled not National just like remnant vegetation all around Victoria is all bound up in it. Knock down a tree and replace it with hundreds is what farmers are faced with all across the state. Make no mistake, I love the trees as all other farmers do, but once we have them the government instrumentalities get control of your land. RED TAPE control and threats or actual legal action.

I hope I can make it to The Stretton Group Public Forum at Morgans 401 Collins Street Melbourne Thursday 23rd of February at 5.00 pm. If any one is interested please email me MVPartners at bigond dot com and I can forward the invitation. My mobile number is with the Rig Pic and description.

It is entitled " Lock ‘em up and let ‘em burn "
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:34

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:34
Hi Bro

Didn't this area burn severely about 2 years ago as well? Or was it on the other side of the Grampians? I recall it was in that general area.

Dry timber fuelled by eucalyptus oil.....a recipe for disaster.

As you say...we are overmanaged by zealots.

Regards
AnswerID: 156193

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:07

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:07
Morning Bro,

The area that burnt in recent years had nothing like the severity of the harshest burn like I have seen in this burn.

"As you say...we are overmanaged by zealots." Bro, I think you are putting words in my mouth, I could never be seen to be quite such a puppet. You may very well get my agreement though some times ;-)

I really do wonder at the way they fail to make decisions to deal with a fire several days before a forecast 40+ degree day where there was likely to be a Total Fire Ban. By doing so abrogated any community responsibility.

After all of that we get a state government shelling out a few tens of thousands of dollars to affected municipalities which need to carry out repair and reconstruction work.

I also find it a problem in my mind that many people in Victoria shell out thousands supporting the CFA in a Fire Services Levy based on their insurance. Good, they insure, and they pay for the fire services as I say too. The government in their wisdom then pays those who DON'T insure some money to get back on their feet, and not to those who do. As I said above the ones who isure pay for the fire services - not the ones who self insure (the uninsured).
FollowupID: 410246

Follow Up By: Nick R - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:14

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:14
hey bro, you sound like a bunch of choice kiwis!!!!!, next you'll have chilly bins of steinlager!!!!
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 410432

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:44

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:44
Uncle to you I think, Nick R............
FollowupID: 410447

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:19

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:19
Hard to beat chilly bins of steinys and a BBQ while watching sheep frolic in a nearby paddock.
FollowupID: 410458

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:42

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:42
Certain Mad Dogs like to frolic with sheep, rather than just in a near by paddock. Just as well you clarify to be Mad Dog (Australia) - had it been New Zealand, well may be in the yards, or in the wool shed. Giving them a good frolicking....
FollowupID: 410489

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:49

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:49
Hmmmm ....I don't mind being called UNCLE....lol

Very cold here this morning..... 10 degrees
FollowupID: 410491

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:23

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:23
Hi John.

Maybe its just that I have had to many birthdays, but it would appear to me we have an over supply of zealots.
There just seems to be a never ending supply of those who are intent on stopping any form of recreation.
There is now talk of fishing restrictions in Morton Bay. To such an extent that recreational fishing would basically cease.
Our only saving grace is the economy based on those recreational pastimes & the politicians wishing to hold onto their seats.

Say hi to Heather for me.

Regards

Wim
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 156201

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:59

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:59
G'day Wim,

I am sure the zealots have a differing persuasion to the ones around when we were younger. I actually heard a woman phone talkback the other day complaining about people wanting kill insects like cockroaches. Admittedly John Faine did ask if she was serious, and she was! Could hardly believe it. Don't use insects as bait in future and don't hang them in front of fish. You may kill the insect by drowning if not by being impaled. You may hurt the fish too. Of course that is aside from the economic impact. I love getting the veggies on my plate and listen to them scream!

I have said hello to Heather, and please say hello to Judy from us.
FollowupID: 410297

Reply By: eerfree - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:13

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:13
Talking of Zealots, English gentleman contacted and berated another guy cause he found a bottle with a message in it. EG considered throwing a bottle into the water was Contamination!!!

eerfree
AnswerID: 156353

Sponsored Links