insurance

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 21:38
ThreadID: 3100 Views:1972 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The handbrake wants a new car not 4wd just small mazda sedan, on looking at one today i see they come with a space saver spare tyre,this is limited to 80k/hr for a limited distance.
how can insurance co and government allow us to drive wiyh 3 tyres that meet speed and load ratings set out in aust design rules plus one tyre that doesnt???? the little spare must be inflated to 60 pounds/s/i,with an entirely different contact area,rubber compound,air pressure etc i would expect performance and handling to be affected.

when my vechicles are rego checked they have always required 5 complying tyres,they havent let me have one bald or wrong size etc.

i know other makes do the same just seems odd to compromise the vehicles dynamics in this way. any views???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 21:45

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 21:45
Brian how often do you get punctures today - seldom to never where these little cars normally go. The distance you would normally have to drive on one of these to get a repair would not usually be great.

Space-saver spares are a practical functional spare if you obey the limits of design of the space-saver spare. A space-saver spare is a fully compliant tyre under ADR Design Regulations.
AnswerID: 11898

Reply By: brian - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 00:04

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 00:04
ozi are you aware that on subaru 4wd the manual tells you to disable 4wd when you fit spacesaver tyre.you cannot use 4wd with a spacesaver tyre fitted.

this means you can go to a destination that requires 4wd to get in or out then have a puncture ,fit space saver and not be able to get out in 2wd,why are manufactures allowed to compromise vechicle performance and driver safety in the name of profit.
AnswerID: 11904

Follow Up By: Thepublican - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 17:17

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 17:17
Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape, space saver tyre as standard,fullsize an optional extra,as for the so called newer tyre tech that means less punctures ect, 5week old Ford Escape ,1500ks , 3 flats all on freeway/ highway work, sister NOT HAPPY JAN.
FollowupID: 6823

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:40

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:40
Brian I just cannot remember when I last had a puncture, and it must be many years since I have had a puncture, that includes my motorcycles, cars and 4WD's.

In a Subaru where you may be off-road and cannot use 4WD I would agree with you, it is a bit daft.

I don't think it is the name of profit, it is in the name of space saving and more room in the boot. I think the large majority of smaller vehicles now use these and even some of the larger European cars as well.
FollowupID: 6835

Reply By: Tim - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:29

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:29
brian, i think that you'll find (at least in victoria) that the spare wheel/tyre is not required for roadworthy purposes - i know it sounds strange but thats the way it is!!
AnswerID: 11909

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:50

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:50
I would ask for a normal size spare... Ive seen them shonky little 'space saver' things, and wouldnt trust my family on them!

Approved/tested/etc what ever.. no thanks.

Also a way for car manufacturers to scam you by SELLING you a full size spare!!!
AnswerID: 11945

Sponsored Links