Wheel Alignment

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:20
ThreadID: 31000 Views:2183 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Had a wheel alignment done, the Prado seems to track good however I noticed that the steering wheel is slightly offset and not in the usual striaght line, does this matter , what causes this and should I worry?.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:45

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:45
This is not an issue as far as wheel alignment goes but if has always been straight then take it back and get them to straighten the wheel, I dont know about yourself but I cant stand the wheel not being straight. If they tell you that the steering wheel needs to come off and be realighned tell them it has been straight since day one, thats why they open your door and put a stop between your steeing wheel and brake pedal but he obviously didnt have it straight prior to doing the required adjustments. I just had the same problem with my commodore 2 weeks ago and had to take it back and get them to straighten it surprise the wheel is straight after he told me the wheel needed to come off and I then informed him that I have owned the car since brand new and has always been straight for the last 60klm and never had an issue with the tyres being out of alighnment but thought I would get one done because I just had new tryes fitted.Some times better leaving things alone some times they seem to cause more trouble then before they touch them. Just my whinge for the day. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 156234

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 20:08

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 20:08
Sorry to disagree, but it is an issue because the steering rack/box isn't centred. The steering wheel should always be central prior to the wheels being aligned, some shifty wheel aligners have been known to remove the wheel & fit it back straight.
FollowupID: 410395

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 00:39

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 00:39
It will also mean that your indicators will not cancel properly on roundabouts etc.
Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 410473

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:48

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:48
tyhe steering wheel being off line wont efect the actuall alignment.
all it really means is the guy who done the wheel alignment is slack and didnt do his job properly.the alignment might be alright spec wise but should have spent more time on it to do it right.
you will find after a short time just how annoying that wheel will be not being straight.
the only way to fix it properly is to get it realigned.
cheers
AnswerID: 156235

Reply By: Longreach - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 14:53

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 14:53
Agree with the others. Setting the steering wheel straight should be part of the job.
AnswerID: 156261

Reply By: 120scruiser - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 19:57

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 19:57
Was the alignment out much and what condition are the tyres in?
If the tyres are worn irregularly due to an alignment that has been out, even though the angles come up good the irregular tyre wear could pull the wheel slightly off center due to the tyres tracking on the old wear patterns.
Try rotating them front to rear and see what happens.
AnswerID: 156317

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:54

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:54
There is an alignment issue with Prados fitted with certain brands of tyres. Not sure what they all are. I have Cooper AT fitted to my 95 series, the vehicle has pulled to the left ever since they were fitted (18 Months ago). No alignment would fix it. Toyota said it was the tyres. I then contacted Cooper Tyres office in Brisbane.

Cooper tyres had the solution and put me onto one of their suppliers in my area. Had it adjusted to their spec (1 degree extra camber on the left) and she now tracks straight. Like Big Bo the steering wheel was then off centre (to the right). The aligner adjusted it, without any prompting.

Tried the tyre rotation and all sorts of different ideas and none of them worked.

Prado owners take note! When you fit new tyres apart from the factory fitment, check that the tyre manufacturer doesn't have an alignment adjustment for their tyres. The original supplier, according to Cooper, should have done it on fitting.

Last note. I rate the Cooper customer support and service attitude. They were even willing to replace the tyres if need be!

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 156458

Sponsored Links