Hand Winch

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 15:29
ThreadID: 31006 Views:2773 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I usually travel by my own, which probably makes a winch a good investment.

I don't have a bull bar, so having an electric winch is not an option , so I have to settle for a manual winch.

I have seen two different types of hand winch, and the price differences seem to be huge.

The "hand puller" type as shown here is very affordable compared to the other type shown here

Can anyone comment on the differences, and on whether the cheap ones would do the job?

Thanks in advance,

Henry.-
(11 sleeps til we leave for Fraser Island)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 15:39

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 15:39
Henry, the hand puller is not suitable for reliable recovery operation. Its good for straining fence wire :) AFAIK it's pretty useless for pulling a 2 ton + vehicle out of a bog.
The other type is suitable. It's more expensive for a reason :) However it does require you to be fit, after all you'll be using muscle power.
On Fraser you may be wise to invest in a land anchor type device also. You can't always rely on others being around when you're bogged and the tide is on the way in.
AnswerID: 156267

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 20:40

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 20:40
Make sure you get the 1600kg version. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 410408

Reply By: normc - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 15:40

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 15:40
Henry, can't help much with the winch question other than I know they are bloody hard work.
One thing I can tell you though - you won't need a winch on Fraser Island. Just a snatch strap and recovery points (preferably front and back).
Fantastic place. Have fun.
AnswerID: 156268

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 15:46

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 15:46
Hi Henry,

I agree with Footloose the first one is not made for the purpose of winching cars, the second one is. I have used mine once in 11 years. We were stuck and travelling on our own and again I can concur with Footloose it is hard work but it will get you out as long as you have something solid to attach it too. Extra straps may be required to get you to a suitable anchor. Also dont forget to use a tree trunk protector.

BTW you shouldn't need one for Fraser - just let you tyres down.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 156270

Reply By: Mark- Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 21:23

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 21:23
Yes they are hard work. So much so that a snatch block is just about essential, especially if you are trying to pull a heavy vehicle through mud/sand etc. I find that with the snatch block winching is actually quicker because you can winch longer without taking a rest, even though it halves the cable travel.

I sold my electric winch and bought a second hand Tirfor because the electric winch was about 50 kg of expensive weight on the bullbar which hardly ever got used. A couple of times I needed it, it didnt even work due to corrosion of the solenoid terminals. The handwinch has been used a few times and the extra effort is justified by the weight and money savings. Having said that, every time I've used the hand winch I've thought how nice it would be to have the electric winch back but based on frequency of use, I can live with it. If you were using a winch regularly, I would say definitly get a power winch but the reality is most people rarely if ever use their winches.

As someone else said, you wont need a winch on Fraser. Make sure you have a decent recovery point front and rear and take a snatch strap.
AnswerID: 156559

Sponsored Links