spotlights diagram for toyota hilux

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 22:50
ThreadID: 31025 Views:17284 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have just aquired an 86 hilux and have been doing a bit of electrical refurbishment. I'm about to wire the spotlights in that were on it when i bought it but were never wired in. There is one wire coming from the Narva spotties. Can someone post a wiring diagram or give me detailed instruction on wiring these up. Do i really need a relay switch?
Thanks for any help
Oakey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:04

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:04
I guess technically one could do without, but given where the spotlights sit and potential for shorts, a relay must be a practical necessity unless you want a fire risk.

If you buy a relay it will come with a little wiring diagram - not that it's that complex. It would be wise to get a fuse or one sort of other too.

You need a switch wired to active high beam in the dash.

The other side of the switch goes to the relay which will have an earth connection to make the switch in the relay.

Then you need active from the battery to the live side of the relay and from the switched side of the relay to the active on the lights - presumably this is the only wire and that they are wired to ground - although nowadays Narva lights have an active and a ground. You should check that the wire hasn't been broken/cut/fallen off. Often you will find that the bumper will not be an effective ground - the powder coat on my ARB bar for instance is a pretty good insulator it seems!

Here's a diagram: http://www.offroaders.com/images/projects/lightforce/wiring-diag.gif

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 156369

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:35

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:35
Info and diagram right here on ExplorOz Accessories Section - Article Driving Lights
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 156374

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:53

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 23:53
Nice article David.

Another recommendation would be to use two-pin connectors (blister packs at most auto stores) to make disconnecting lights easy - especially if you end up taking your bull-bar off and on for winch maintenance or whatever.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 410466

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 00:01

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 00:01
and it probably should say that ADR requires that
* capable of operation only with high beam on (article makes it look as though it may be optional)
* mounted symmetically in pairs ...

and in the case of fog lights - that they must be switched with low beam, 55W or less and mounted below the bumper and only used when visibility is low.

Ciao for now
Andrew who wishes he could edit a post ;-)
FollowupID: 410468

Reply By: banjodog - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:56

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:56
This give good details of how to wire it up - Wiring for relays

AnswerID: 156436

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:40

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:40
Not sure about an 86 model but most hilux's are negative switched so be careful.

click below and scroll down for some info on negative switching

lighting
AnswerID: 156443

Reply By: Sarg - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 00:32

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 00:32
http://www.offroaders.com/images/projects/lightforce/wiring-diag.gif
AnswerID: 156586

Sponsored Links