Locked clutch plate

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 19:44
ThreadID: 31051 Views:1486 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have an old Series 2 Landrover that I use at Rainbow Bch Qld. I bought it home and parked it in the spare garage for about 8 mths. I went to start it today and found that the clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel. The clutch and pressure plate is new but will not disengage from the flywheel. Any proven suggestions that may help break it free.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:14

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:14
Put it in low range reverse or first and turn the key. Not uncommon for old Land Rovers to do that. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 156539

Reply By: Ken - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:25

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:25
Bill, are you sure it is stuck and not that the slave [or master cylinder] has not bled off the fluid. Can you see if the throw lever out the side of the bellhousing moves when you depress the clutch. This will require someone under the beast or to look through the hole in the belhousing cover after removing the rubber plug on the side.

If the clutch plate is stuck to the pressure plate it will be a bit of a hassle to free it but if the release mechanism is working ok try towing it with the clutch pedal depressed and the motor off and it may come free.
I had it happen after a dunking in fresh water a few times, a mix if sand and salt might be more of a problem though and in this case I don't emvy you the job of separating the gearbox from the motor to free it up.

Ken
AnswerID: 156543

Reply By: kesh - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:25

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:25
Bill. Another little annoyance that can happen is a tiny bit of something getting under the fill valve in the end of the master cylinder piston. So when you depress the clutch, the fluid pumps back into the reservoir instead of to the slave cylinder.
Often happens when the fluid is contaminated/old.
kesh
AnswerID: 156600

Reply By: Bill13 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:03

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:03
Well I am still having trouble trying to free the clutch plate. All mechanical and hydrulics are working so it is definately stuck. I have towed it in low/high range, motor off and with motor on. Motor on low range, clutch in, brake on, accelorator to the floor and it just drives through the brakes. Seems to be really stuck. Don't want to pull the gearbox out, as you landy owners know what a bitch of a job that is. Open to more ideas if any more available. Thanks.
Bill
AnswerID: 156969

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:16

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:16
Bill,

Same thing happened to us, with a new L'rover(in 1967), after crossing the Daimantina channels, while they were running.

Completely mystified at the time, but we put 3-4 litres of household kerosine, into the clutch housing, then drove it around with the clutch pedal depressed, until it released. Didn't do any apparent damge to the clutch, as we drove it around for at least 12 months afterwards, with no ill effect.

Diesel wouldn't be any good, because it's greasy, where the kero is a "dry" type of lube.

Good luck,

Hooroo...;
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 156971

Reply By: G.T. - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:01

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:01
Another problem with a vehicle that has experienced beach work is that the clutch plate can `seize` on to the spline of the input shaft of the gear box. The kero solution as previously mentioned may help to free it up. Good luck! Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 157514

Sponsored Links