Canning Stock Route Re-Enactment. Update

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:12
ThreadID: 31054 Views:1996 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Recently there was some discussion related to the CSRR (post 30762).

It is correct (as Mike pointed out) the CSRR won't occur in 2006. The reason for this is a lack of funding response from the two levels of Government in WA. No problem with that.

Although 2006 is the centenary of Alfred Canning's endeavour, it didn't finish until 1910, which leaves a window of opportunity until 2010.

Therefore, there are still a number of years to celebrate both Canning and Snell's achievements. I might also point out this is very important to their families.

In relation to concerns regarding water for cattle and the disturbance of areas such as Durba Springs:

The CSRR would have come to a screaming halt if the committee couldn't find an answer this problem. Eventually we did.
As far as cattle disturbance around watering holes is concerned, it's not an issue. They'll be watered well away from the tourist route. Therefore you will not be overrun by a cattle drive.
Finally, this is still a gazetted cattle route.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:37

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:37
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the response. Good to see that the issues have been covered off.

I was talking to someone else who suggested that CSRR had secured access to capped government or mining company exploration bores for water.

My understanding is that the Canning doesn't hold classification as much other than a Stock Route - ie. no reserve, park or other status? Is that correct?

Thanks for the info.

Dave
AnswerID: 156549

Follow Up By: KimPrado - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 21:39

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 21:39
Hi Dave,

Sorry, didn't answer your last question. Yes,in a sense you are quite right.
Whilst it may be a gazetted stock route, modern day thinking does'nt allow the "bugger it, I'm going to do it". There are many people in the Kimberley who don't relate to restiction (big time).

Without get too deep, the stockmen in Queensland, Kimberley, Pilbarra and Northern SA are very proud of their heritage.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 410640

Reply By: KimPrado - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:59

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:59
Thanks for the response,

In answer to your first question, this is not correct. We have a committee member who has rebuilt a number of wells along the Canning which are now available to the community (4wd). He has also done a full assessment of every bore and watering hole along the route. This includes:
Condition
Depth
Recovery rate
Quality
This report was given to a number of very hard nosed stockmen in the Kimberley Pilbarra and, one of the last surviving stockmen of the period. It is now accepted.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 156553

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 00:56

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 00:56
Hi Kim,

When I was there in May last year many of the restored wells in the north end were buggered after flooding. They stank of sulphur and other nasty odours. This seemed a really pity as lots of hard work had obviously been put in to bring them up to a usable state before the flooding.

Is that water suitable for cattle even if humans find the odour intolerable?

Dave
FollowupID: 410672

Sponsored Links