Access to Top End

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 21:50
ThreadID: 31057 Views:1884 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

We are spending 6mths travelling Oz from late Jan to June 2007. Will be setting off from Perth in anti-closkwise direction - going over to Tasmania, then up East coast.

Atfer that will be heading into centre to meet some friends and we will then be travelling together up to NT and Northern WA.

Itinerary is being kept flexible and in reality we are in the early stage of a rough mud-map.

One issue that is playing on my mind is how soon we could realistically access Northern QLD - given Wet season. We will be towing off-road CT with dinghy.

If we have to hang around too long to access the Cape, we will unfortunately cut ourselves short for central/NT/North WA.

We don't really have flexibility with dates - which I agree may be better to move on a few months.

I appreciate that it depends on the wet season and that we do need to be flexible. But not having been to this area before, I am yet to get a real feel for just how far north you can realistically get and by when.

I have looked at some weather sites, and seen annual monthly rainfall stats.

Can someone give me some information as to teh earliest we could realistically expect to be able to access the Cape and give me an indication of how far we could expect to get before wet / access will become an issue.

Once I can a get my head around this - the rest of the itinerary can take some shape - as I am keen to maximise time spent in North of Aust.

Thanks

Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 02:38

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 02:38
Forgot to mention - I am really asking if Cape York is generally accessible around early April - subject to the wet season at the time.

We will prob spend Jan to March working away across and up East coast anyway.

Would appreciate any feedback.
AnswerID: 156589

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 09:51

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 09:51
I have driven to Weipa just after Anzac Day via Cooktown, another year had to wait in Weipa to mid May to get further north, but there is a bridge over the Wenlock now. The Archer River can also be a problem during April.

A lot depends on the wet and how late it is and what roads you want to use.

Plans need to be a bit flexable when travelling north to the Cape that time of the year.
AnswerID: 156618

Sponsored Links