bypass oil filters

Submitted: Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 13:28
ThreadID: 3106 Views:2187 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have a '96 1HZ Diesel Troppy. I have heard people fitting bypass oil filters to diesels. Aren't the standard (genuine) filters good enough? I religously change the oil every 5K. Any opinions out there!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 14:02

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 14:02
Waz the original filters only go down to 10 micron, where bypass filters go to 2micron. That is one hell of a difference of removing grinding particles out of the oil.
With the price of mineral and synthetic not being that far away from each other for engine oil, it certianly does not take long to pay for a bypass lube filiter and synthetic oils. Even if you do oil tests at $35.00 for a couple of times, and you do your homework as to the cost of what you are spending now and changing over, you will still be in front with synthetic even taking a $35.00 oil test into account. 25,000 or 12 months should be achievable with better qualty lubrication that your now 5,000k changes. Even if you stayed with mineral oil, 8,000k changes would become a minimum. Again, you can always get an oil test done, to check the condition of the oil at 5,000k's. With the amount of oil that engine holds, going to 8,000 or even maybe 12,000 may be possible as the results of an oil test would tell you would prove a substantial saving.
AnswerID: 11922

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 14:03

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 14:03
Waz did you check out the URL's I posted in message 3099
FollowupID: 6814

Reply By: Waz - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 14:51

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 14:51
Thanks oziexplorer, 3099 was interesting reading. I will definately look at getting a bypass filter & changing to synthetic oil. Can you recommend anyone in Adelaide that would supply and fit one of these.(Cost?) I also change both fuel filters at 5K. Is that overkill?
Waz
AnswerID: 11924

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 15:56

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 15:56
Waz *seriously* over kill.
Waz normally 40,000k's or 18 months for a diesel filter. The amount of crook fuel you get these days and few and far between. If you fill up at outlets that have high volume sales, or the major oil company or +Petrol outlets, the chances of getting dirty or contaminated fuel are close to nil. Draining a bit out the bottom every three to six months depending on your use will give you an excellent indication of any dirt or water. I do always carry a spare diesel filter in the vehicle just in case I get a crook load of fuel. Oil filters I change on mineral oil every second oil change, but that would be at a 16,000k's. With you doing it at 5,000k's that would make it every third change. There is a substantial amount of filtering capacity in those filters. Have a look at a filter similiar to your vehicle here:
http://www.ryco.co.nz/downloads/
The Z334 is probably the one you use or close to.

I will do up an article tomorrow or in the next day or two, work permitting about fitting a bypass filter.
FollowupID: 6818

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 16:17

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 16:17
Thanks Oziexplorer, i too am interested in fitting a bypass filter.
FollowupID: 6820

Follow Up By: Adrian- Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 16:45

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 16:45
Ozi
Am also looking forward to your article on fitting a bypass oil filter - in my case it is also to a 1HZ (1998).
FollowupID: 6822

Reply By: Waz - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 16:39

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 16:39
Thanks for your help. Look forward to the article on fitting bypass filters.
Waz.
AnswerID: 11927

Reply By: JohnH - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 18:48

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 18:48
Yep, count me in too, I would love to hear about it as well.
AnswerID: 11937

Reply By: John - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:19

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:19
Just more hoses to leak and let you down in the remote areas..........
Oil is cheap, and during oil changes you tend to check and fix other things.
In my opinion, Very.....Very few engines fail from contaminates in the oil, mostly lack of oil or overheating.
In fact I can't even think of one instance of engine failure that was due to contamiated oil.
Oil breaks down long before it will clog the oiling system, and if you are that slack with maintainance, you are doomed anyway......

John
AnswerID: 11949

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:57

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:57
Oil is not cheap and is a finite resource as we are finding out with water presently in Australia. What is more, filling dumps with oil filters and unecessarily recycling oil (unfortunatly lots does not) is not a smart environmental move. However, in this case, you can win substantially financially and the environment can win. You would not find one of the trucking or earthmoving companies that have switched to synthetic lubricants and improved oil filtration (if necessary) would ever consider going back to their old expensive lubrication regimes. Basically using synthetics with a bypass lube oil filter can double the engine life between rebuilds, and often the crankshafts do not need to be touched.

John who mentioned contaminated oil or clogging the oil system?

Technically oil never breaks down, the additives/detergents in the oil do.

A bypass filter removes all the particles between 2 micron and the normal average for the full flow filter 10 micron. The wear factor reduction from removing those particles is dramatic. I don't think those manufacturers which fit bypass oil filters do so for fun. Unfortunatly lubrication technology knowledge and application is in the dark ages in Australia.

As the hoses fitted to a bypass oil filter are a minumum rating of 400psi, the chances of one of these hydraulic hoses failing is slim compared to all the other failures you will get long before an oil line failure.
FollowupID: 6838

Reply By: Member - Chris - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 21:54

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 21:54
If Ozi can provide more info, then it'll make my search somewhat easier too - I look forward to your article Ozi. However, until you get the bypass filter on board, treat the troopy and change the oil and filter at 5K Waz - everyone I've chatted to who runs our type of truck recommends that interval to get the most out of the drive train. Never mind the rest, chuck in Penrite HPR.!!
AnswerID: 11956

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:24

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:24
Chris do your research on those links provided first. Unfortunatly, lubrication knowledge and technology is back in the dark ages in Australia.

With synthetic in the drive train, you could change it being generous at 250,000k's. If you did an oil test at 250,000k you would find you probably could go to 400,000k's. Personally, I would probably change the diffs at 100,000k's, only because it is not worth getting an oil test for the couple of litres it takes.

Changing engine oil at 5K in this day and age is nothing but a total waste of money. Why do you think you need to change the oil at 5K?
If you phone Ryco on their toll free phone number, they will tell you how ludicrous it is to change the filter at 5K. If you had to change the filter at 5K you would have no engine left after 50K
FollowupID: 6844

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:51

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:51
From My experience of 10+ years as Workshop Manager of a Large company that dealt with Trucks and heavy Earthmoving Machinery, We found that the only Sure way to prevent Shortened engine/Geartrain life, was to change the Engine and drivetrain Lubricants at regular intervals.
Anything else was False Economy.
Bypass filters tended to clog in a very short time and no longer contribute to the Filtering of the Lubricant on most Systems we tried.
In many Control Engines we managed, Rebuilding Never required regrinding off the crankshaft, only refitting of the wearing components such as rings, Bearing Shells etc......
Every one has their own ideas on this I guess, But from My experience, Oils must and shall be changed at regular intervals in all of my engines.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 11967

Follow Up By: Michael - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:36

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:36
John, If by pass filters clog up as you claim, what does that tell you? The idea is you work out when it is an ideal time to change them and then you have the perfect condition for the engine.. My thoughts only regards Michael
FollowupID: 6863

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:15

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:15
From our oil tests, The small deposits that clogg up finer micron filters, have no or minimal effect on engine wear.
Anyway It is a personal choice if you wish to fit an external filter or not......
I am just stating that after many many hundreds of engine hours testing with both oil samples and Disasembly inspections, no major benifit was found by adding an external filter and oil changes were by far the best method to prolonging engine life.
In my humble opinion, Oil IS cheap compared to engine rebuilds............
If Waz continues to change his oil every 5K, I would be very suprised if he has any engine work to be done before at least half a million Km's maybe more.
Cheers
John

AnswerID: 11981

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:54

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:54
John what you are saying flies completely against what the vehicle and engine manufacturers are doing. Take for example the Mercedes Vito, recommended service intervals are between 20,000k's and 32/35,000k's because of improved filtration and bypass filters fitted as standard. You have to ask why do companies like Cummins, Komatsu and others fit bypass filters as standard equipment as well as other major companies. Bypass oil filters have been used on trucks and earthmoving equipment for years, more than I care to remember. Why do you think they fit them. It is to remove the small damaging particles between 2micron and up to 20 micron in some cases which account for 60% of engine wear. The dual stage filters as fitted to many if not all of the 4WD type diesel engines only go down to 10micron at best. Those particles just love grinding your engine away - slowly, but surely.

Because of pollution measures and the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) which actually increases build up in the oil of particles/soot. This soot has to be removed, and your full flow filter is not going to do that sufficiently. You will shortly see bypass filters fitted as standard to every diesel engine.

John I would hope you do some research on bypass filters and the advantages they have. There is substantial amount of information on the Internet, and in industrial lubrication books.
FollowupID: 6881

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 15:41

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 15:41
Clean Oil, Does not contain any contaminates at all.....................
AnswerID: 12010

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 18:25

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 18:25
No, for the first minute you are correct, if you disregard what is left behind by the old oil.
FollowupID: 6912

Reply By: Waz - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 18:57

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 18:57
From what I can work out from what everyone has said here, unless you bought a vehicle from new and you knew exactly the quality of oil which has gone into the donk and at what intervals, a bypass filter might be a good idea. A previous owner of a used vehicle which I've got I might add, could have put cheap oil in it, done some hard driving, and may not of changed the oil and filter for a long time. Either way, I suppose you could call a bypass filter a piece of mind.

Waz

PS does penrite make a 20W 50. I can only seem to find 20W 60?
AnswerID: 12185

Sponsored Links