jackeroo-check engine light

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 22:53
ThreadID: 31097 Views:4690 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have a 99 Turbo Diesel Jackeroo. Approximately 1 1/2 years ago while pulling our Van (weight 1350kg) the temp guage increase to just over 3/4, the check engine light came on, we lost power, and couldnt drive past 80 km/hr. When we pulled over for a few minutes the check engine light went off and we were off again.
We have had our car in at Holdens 5 times, now and each time no-one seems to know what it is. Holdens said the following:
Dealer 1.said it was throttle position sensor, replaced it $700, however the next day the problem reoccurred
Dealer 2. said it was injectors because there was a recall, cleared the codes but as fully booked couldnt fix it
Dealer 3. fixed the injector sleaves as per recall, and cleared the codes, but would not fix anything else as we didnt want to pay again.
Dealer 4 said it was the oil sensor switch, cost $1400 to fix, needless to say 6 months later problem back. Now suggesting it fan clutch or radiator. We have not lost any radiator fluid or oil. Has anyone got any ideas, as we dont want to spend money we dont need to.
Potbelly
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Darryl - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 00:01

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 00:01
Your computer is going into limp mode, most likely overheating coolant,radiator problem.Try this web site www.forum.australia4wd.com.
Jackaroo section and someone there will know the answer.

Darryl
AnswerID: 156786

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:38

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:38
Potbelly, I too had this identical problem. Assuming that you have not been using an oiled foam type air filter you may try cleaning your radiator & AC condenser core. I found in mine, after several heated & accrimonious discussions with my local Holden dealer who could not fix the problem under warranty because they said they had tried everything, that there was some paper that had been left in the water galleries at manufacture that had been made into papier mache and had collected around the Thermostat preventing coolant flow especially when towing uphill. After I had a mate who is a Barrister contact Holden & show them the evidence the dealer referred the problem to Holden HQ who said basically "Get lost" but after a summons to appear in court was issued they backed down & offered a generous compensation package which I eagerly accepted. Part of the deal was that I would not discuss this with anyone, well sorry Mr Holden that directive is in breach of the "Fair Trading Act"!
The use of oiled foam type air filters will cause many sensors to fail as the minute dropplets of oil from the filter will "contaminate" them.
Do you have a manual? I have one that I downloaded before Isuzu closed the site down... Pleased to mail you one on CD, handy to have with your laptop when travelling as many out of the way places don't have manuals and can't do repairs as a consequence.
The Jackeroo is a nice vehicle it is well engineered but it is complex & expensive to maintain and Holden don't seem to be interested unless there is big money paid buy the consumer
AnswerID: 156840

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 17:17

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 17:17
I disagree that the Jackaroo is expensive to maintain.

I've had mine for nearly 8 years from new and maintenance is definately not expensive.

FollowupID: 411030

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 12:16

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 12:16
Just an aside to "Basil" above - I have in fact come across a 99 TD Jack owner on the wallaby who had only ever used genuine paper air filters and his Check E light was on - had it tested - sensor in the throttle body was NBG. Food for thought ! He left it and motored on, as I have done.
Re Potsy.........
I have the same chariot - my light has been on for years now - had it checked at a dealer - their machine said it was a gas sensor in the throttle body (NOT the actual throttle body at fault - just the sensor) - I have not replaced it (others here, a year or two back, discovered that the sensor can be repaced for about $200 plus labour - the whole throttle body does not have to be replaced) - my light stays on - the car is fine - will worry about that when I need to quit the car. Drama is we have sophisticated cars that virtually nobody can analyse faults in - any fool can keep replacing components until they right themselves. There have been posts here on this scenario in recent times - we don't pay for "trying" - we pay for results - if they don't fix it after replacing expensive gear, why don't we insist that they put the old gear back on, and start again ? I have seen this done with household goods - maybe cars should follow. Dealers , of course, will try to say that the seemingly good part was dodgy - hard to prove either way. There was a post here about a week or so back on the very thing. Its a bugger.
Quite worrying for the future of funding car repair.
AnswerID: 156852

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 17:21

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 17:21
I have just got one of these and put it in my Jack. http://www.scanguage.com/

Bloody brilliant - I don't have any problem at the moment, but this thingy will report what the error code(s) are instantly. This will give you the same info that a Tech II will give.

Should help you to go to a dealer and say I have error code xxxxx, so it's not the bloody oil sensor switch so don't fleece me.
AnswerID: 156891

Follow Up By: Member - Darren T (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:58

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:58
I see they (http://www.scanguage.com/ ) only send to USA and Canada, where do you find them in Australia?
FollowupID: 411350

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 12:02

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 12:02
I sent them an email enquiry and the reply was - use the online purchase facility and we will ship to AU no extra charge, which they did.

It took about 10 days to arrive and the device is brilliant.

Gerhard
FollowupID: 411352

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 15:49

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 15:49
I have a 2000 model Jackaroo 3.0 TD with the same overheating problem.
I have been through all the normal checks and replacements and am looking to replace the radiator for something a little more heavy duty. Apparently this was identified as a problem over in the UK and double core radiators were fitted. I haven't been able to source a reasonably priced double core aluminium radiator yet but the best price so far is around $700 from Aussie desert Coolers in Melbourne who need my radiator for up to a couple of weeks to build a 57mm cored one to replace it. I can't spare the vehicle for that long at the moment. Natrad don't have a core replacement other than in copper/brass which I am told will only be about as good as whats in it now.
I have had nothing but trouble with my Jack since day 3 and my check engine lights coming on now intermittently as well just recently. Another one to add to the long list.
AnswerID: 157012

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:15

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:15
It an auto what is the possability of transmission fluid need changing if it has done a bit of towing. ???
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 158937

Sponsored Links