GPS Question

Submitted: Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:10
ThreadID: 3113 Views:1967 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
All,

If I were to purchase say any Garmin GPS unit in USA and bring it into Australia, would it work?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Raymond Charlton - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:15

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:15
Hi Paul
I purchased a Garmin 11+ from the USA. It works fine, the maps in it as they are from the USA only have the very Major towns, the local ones have better maps but as I am running mine with a computer the maps are no problem
Ray
AnswerID: 11957

Follow Up By: Member - Paul - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:24

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:24
Raymond,

So do you use the Oziexplorer software with the Natmap package?
FollowupID: 6843

Follow Up By: Raymond Charlton - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:21

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:21
Hi Paul
I have seen the Oziexplorer software and ther Natmaps in action and there where great esp for Central Australia, I agree with Ozi that you will need better maps for the Victorian High country. My navigation set Michelle assures me is arriving today, great service again and I will give you a report how I get on
Ray
FollowupID: 6857

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:30

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:30
Paul it most definitely will work, but if it is a mapping unit, expect the local distributor to charge you two legs and an arm to change the maps.

GPS units work world wide and there are no specific receivers for different areas. Only maps differ.

I use OziExplorer software on my desktop and WinCE iPaq extensively. Fire away if you want to know anything.
Also suggest you sign up on the listserver if you want help or assitance.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L
AnswerID: 11959

Follow Up By: Member - Paul - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 23:50

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 23:50
Ok,

I've downloaded the OziExplore software (Eval version to look at), trying to find some legible .MAP and .ECW files to load into it (some of the city ones I have downloaded seem to be more like Aeronautcal maps), and there is the Demo map of Nambour area but some of the text I cannot read (is this the quality?)

I've downloaded the example NATMAP RASTER of Prosipine area (250000:1) It looks a little like the NRMA touring maps from http://www.auslig.gov.au/download/samples.htm
And I assume this is the type of maps with that package?

What I am after are maps with a combination of the two but also including details like State and National Parks, fire trails and management tracks that you see leading off the state and national forest tracks?

I would also like to attach photos from a digital camera to way points or comments but I cannot seem to do that.

Paul
FollowupID: 6846

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:01

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:01
I have not seen the demo map of Nambour. Map quality is normally supurb and everything is easy to read, as I also run all the maps on my WindowsCE iPaq which is an 80mm x 60mm screen.

The Natmap maps do show the State and National parks, and the SF5504 map is not one of the better ones to use as a sample.
The Natmap 1:250,000 maps do show some of the off-road tracks, but that is where the state maps come in at a higher resolution like 1:100,000 or 1:50,000. The only state with quality affordable digital mapping is Victoria. The Victorian maps show every last little track and the condition/vehicle suitability. N.S.W. has some but is expensive and poor quality, South Australia is half a job, poor quality and expensive, Western Australia has some Perth stuff which is inexpensive, rest of their products are unaffordable and not terrific quality, Queensland and Tasmania completely backward, Northern Terratory no idea.
FollowupID: 6855

Follow Up By: Des - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 15:40

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 15:40
Ozi,
What are the Victorian digital maps you are referring to? I found the VicRoads one, which look the same as the VicRoads/RACV Country Directory. I like that directory, but don't need to get it in digital form. Is there another one based on topo maps?

BTW, I really hope you don't withdraw from this forum or from Overlander. I have always found your info invaluable. For example, I have been going through old posts on GPS (with a view to upgrading from my E-trex) and your comments have been very helpful.

If you don't want to post again, could you email me? djlane@ozemail.com.au
Thanks,
Des

PS I posted a follow-up to our discussion regarding von Mueller and blackberries some time back: http://forums.overlander.com.au/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=2915
FollowupID: 7054

Follow Up By: Neill - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 17:10

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 17:10
I experienced a similar problem whilst in the High Country last April. Met a guy with a set of digital maps from mwww.maptrax.com.au on his PC. Got home and bought a set from the web site, 62 maps in all.
Yet to try them out on my mac using GPSyPro software from the US

Neill
FollowupID: 7602

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:04

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:04
If you get a magellan meridian from USA you can change the base maps yourself at home FREE.

Garmin you cant.
AnswerID: 11976

Reply By: Member - Chris - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:47

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:47
Paul, I recently purchsed an E-map over the internet and it works fine with tracks/routes/waypoints introduced from OziExplorer. Yest, it's got all the maps of the US in, but you never know if you're gonna go I suppose. Products exist to load the NAtMap series onto datacards if you so desire.

I perosnaaly am not going to use my GPS to find a city street anyhow so it wasn't a consideration.

BTW, I saved some going this way and bought other goodies for the troopy as well.

chris
AnswerID: 11993

Follow Up By: Paul - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 13:47

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 13:47
Can you attach pictures from a Digital Camera to way points?
FollowupID: 6887

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 14:23

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 14:23
Yes, easily. They are called Features.

I don't know if you have looked at the OziExplorer HELP file, but it really is one of the best around.

There is also a free utility that if your digital camera has a data and clock inside it, the Track file will automatically pick up and match the EXIF data to each other. I have not had time to try it yet. Only was released a couple of days ago.
FollowupID: 6892

Follow Up By: Paul - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 15:08

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 15:08
hmmm, I'll have to look again, as i could not see that in the Trial/Shareware version

Is it possible you can email me a .map and corresponding .ecw file from the Natmap CD collection (say of the Port Maqurie area as that is where we have just been) to compare to the demo map I have and the paper maps I have.

paulm128@optushome.com.au

Digital Camera ....I borrowed the office one for this trip. I have to buy one now the wife tells me.

Thanks

FollowupID: 6893

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 16:38

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 16:38
Paul these maps are about 4Mb. Far to big to e-mail.
There is heaps of tracks on that map through the forests. Tell me what area you went to and I will e-mail you a screen shot you can look at.

Here is the URL for the Photo Tool to match up digital photographs and the Track. I have not tried it, so have no idea what it is like
http://home.austarnet.com.au/alnrelly/
FollowupID: 6899

Follow Up By: Paul - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 17:29
Ozi,

Wilson River Reserve

Its about 50k North West of Port Macqauire (as the crow flys)

Thanks
FollowupID: 6908

Reply By: Mick - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 20:00

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 20:00
Paul, A unit from the USA won't be loaded with the South Pacific data base and it apparently can't be changed. The South Pacific data base gives great detail of Aus locations - places as small as Licola are on it. A US unit would have Capital Cities and only major towns.
AnswerID: 12020

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 22:47

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 22:47
Sadly it can be changed, but Garmin want the same price as new to change it, sort of punishment I think! They then void any warranty on the unit... Second hand info but I heard it more than once from different people.

The Magellan you can change the basemaps at home if you have the PC to Laptop cable Free....

They are stored on the yahoogroup "magellan meridian" with step by step instructions and updates to firmware.
FollowupID: 6949

Sponsored Links