evakool

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 08:38
ThreadID: 31132 Views:4644 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
has anyone out there experienced voltage drop or similar problems with their evakool car fridge ie faulty plug for power pak fuse holder on panel,my wife took mine back to factory when it came back it still came up with faults so I took it apart myself to find that an attempt to fix it with a dob glue really was not the answer.I replaced it with a circuit breaker,and replaced the cigarette lighter plug that plugs into power pak which would only supply 8 volts.myself and a friend went to sunshine coast to purchase same fridge for himself he has now got the same problem. I have contacted the factory twice to inform them of this problem and the reply was oh yes that happens and basically couldn't get me off the phone quick enough.Cheaper to fix fault ourselves than to drive to from factory.would have been handy if it was whilst camping a fridge full of rotten food and hot beer.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 08:54

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 08:54
I had an RF47DT dual temp zone model which came with a dicky plug. The resistance through the tip of the plug was so high that it actually deformed the plug due to heat to the point where it just didn't fit any more.

I did the standard operation as I do with all of my 12 volt plugs now - GET RID of all ciggy-style plugs! Easy!

I always replace them with a Merit-style plug (male & female) and never have any problems. Ever. They are good up to about 14-15 amps.

The EvaKool fridge is great - and I've always found their service to be exemplary. The plugs suck - but that's only because cigarette plugs come standard in most vehicles.
AnswerID: 156962

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 17:01

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 17:01
not meaning to have a dig, but thats exactly why Engel have their own plug set up, ciggy lighters are notoriously bad connections.

Ron
FollowupID: 411198

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 17:31

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 17:31
Who's havingh a dig? .... hehe - we also have 2 Engels Ron.... and they both came with ciggy lighter plugs as standard fitment on the end of the cable.

The Engel plug is included in the kit, but is only there as an option to be fitted if you want to.
FollowupID: 411200

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 18:54

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 18:54
Yes an option, but the standard ciggy plug on an engel (as you know) unscrews to bin the crappy ciggy bit and reveal a quality plug, which is what I use. (admittedly you need to spend bout $30-00 on the other half and wire it to your vehicle, but it is so superior.)

Call me biased but I just cant see past my Engel, the $1200 was a lot of money to me but I researched it again and again and spoke to heaps of people, and I wanted to be Aussie n buy the evakool but couldnt help thinking it looked like an esky with a compressor added on as an after thought, anyway I'm sure they are great too, and dont want to start another fridge debate. (although they are fun!)

Rgds

Ron
FollowupID: 411213

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 14:50

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 14:50
I got sick of the cigarette lighter & 'Merit' plugs vibrating out of their sockets, as above the best set up is the Engel one, buy the socket & unscrew the end of the plug, works perfectly!
FollowupID: 411372

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:14

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:14
I also had a problem with the fuse holder. High resistance. Had the problem out in the scrub and ended up soldering a bridge across the back of the fuze holder. The circuit it is on is fused anyhow so I have left it that way. Also replaced the plug with a more positive type.

AnswerID: 156963

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:16

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:16
Yep - the people who design these things often don't use them in the field - the hype says otherwise, but it ain't true in most cases - even if the dealers use them, they don't design them ! Same with other brands - some have unacceptable voltage drop levels in the leads - monitoring and changing of plugs etc seems normal, for technically minded owners. I started off running my (other brand) unit flat out for 20 minutes, then working backwards with a meter to see what was happening - that's after I learned all about V drop the hard way, in the field !
AnswerID: 156970

Reply By: hobo - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:37

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:37
Hi
yes i own a evakool fridge / freezer and was at cape york when mine started to play up the motor was running but the fridge wasnt getting cold,we lost all of our meat & food so i phoned evakool and they couldnt help me up there so i had to turn my $1000 + fridge into a esky to get us out of trouble when i got home i put it in to get fixed under warranty got it home & went on our next camping trip (only local) it let us down again, so came home and phoned evakool again and told them that i wasnt happy with there fridge and about all the trouble it had given me his reply was there are a lot of people out there that are happy with there fridge. So now my fridge is sitting in the shed and i have no faith in it at all.
I will have a look at the fuse holder now and see how that goes.
AnswerID: 156988

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 12:42

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 12:42
Hobo - the EvaKool use the same compressor as everyone else - other than the Sawafuji compressor in the Engel. Logic seems to dictate that the design works, as it's just one of these common compressors stuck in a box - like all the others.

I'd check your vehicle's wiring too...(and not just the fridge's) especially after the unit had come back from a warranty repair and failed again.
FollowupID: 411166

Follow Up By: Notso - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 12:49

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 12:49
Mine was doing the same thing. It seems to be running but it is only the fan. The compressor isn't. I reckon you'll find the fuze holder is the problem.
FollowupID: 411167

Follow Up By: hobo - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 13:14

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 13:14
omaroo
When my fridge failed i tried it on 240v and i still had the same problem, but i will be also changing my plugs to prevent any more problems will anderson plugs be ok. for my wiring i have used heavy wiring direct to my duell battery with a circuit breaker inbtween.
FollowupID: 411168

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 14:29

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 14:29
Yeah Hobo - keep the wiring as direct and as large as you can. I use 4AG right to the rear - for both positive and negative.

I don't use chassis ground if I can avoid it. Some people do because they reckon that it's just one more part of the circuit that can't short if they don't use an individual negative wire. I reckon that ground problems account for a huge percentage of overall electrical faults. Just wrap them properly in split tubing and use lots of cable ties.

If you fridge failed on 240V as well, this just means that the problem is still in the same fridge-related wiring - i.e. either the cable from your MobiTronic 240/12v adapter (the same as you use in the car from ciggy lighter socket to fridge) OR some wiring just inside the fridge itself. I'd see if I could get to just behind the male plug (a silly microphone socket) on the fridge itself and see if the wires coming off that are OK too. Cable-tie all wires down as EvaKool (and others) tend to leave them flap around a bit.

Chances are it's still the lighter socket to fridge cable - most probably the fuse area. Get rid of it anyway...

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 411178

Reply By: Mike DiD - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 12:39

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 12:39
The very small and tough Anderson PowerPole 12 volt 30 Amp connector is suitable for all types of Fridges (including 3-way), Tire pumps, Radios (including VKS737 HF), Lights (up to 250 watts) and Chargers.

www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=P7805 - Red $2.50
www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=P7806 - Black $2.50
www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PT4405 - Red+Black Pair $5.95

They are the top of this photo - for panel mounting you just need to cut some slots.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/MikeAus/Auto/PICT2566DCConnectors100k.jpg

These are a lot smaller than the Grey 50 Amp Anderson SB Connectors that people use to connect Trailers etc.
www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PT4420 -Grey $12.95

These are much more reliable than the Cigar or Merritt plugs which depend on high pressure to hold the plug in the socket, to prevent overheating of teh centre conductor.

Mike
AnswerID: 157134

Sponsored Links