MAPS !!!!

Submitted: Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 22:51
ThreadID: 3114 Views:1844 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from a trip to Port Macquire and Diamond Head.

On our way home we thought we take a track that runs from Diamond Head to Crowdy Head/Harrington just about parallel to the beach and runs into a track called "The Sand Trap".

There was a sign at (Kylies Camp site) the start of the track, saying "No Thru Road" so we went back to Diamond Head camping site to ask the camp site management people. Now I have two State Forest maps ( one printed 1986 (yes old) the second 2000 ) show a 4WD track all the way, I spoke with the Park management people at Diamond Head and they told me the road was definately open and at one stage it was closed (thus the sign) and that it had not been taken down.

So beliveing the locals we headed off.

We got within 700m of the Abbey Creek picnic sight....... Rotted Baksia had fallen over the road.

20 minutes later had cleared a path to get around it only to find Abbey Creek picnic site was a DEAD END !!!! (Much to the amusement of my wife who sat in the car the whole time videoing)

These maps I have I purchased off this site and I understand that roads can close, but at this dead end there was NO indication of a track EVER existing.

Where can you get the latest maps or information from?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyds - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 23:52

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 23:52
Paul,

I had a similar experience in the Vic High Country using hema maps. For most parts the map was excellent, but a couple of places indicated intersections or roads that just didn't exist, or some that did obviously hadn't been used for a while.

In the end for those tricky bits we had to use a combination of guide book and the map, and then make executive decisions.

The other problem is with people damaging or stealing sign posts; especially for popular spots like Craigs Hut.

cheers,

Stuart

AnswerID: 11962

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:36

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:36
Yeah, I ws reading here on the forum about the Mt Davies track in the far north-west of S.A. Checked with my 1996 Hema Road Atlas and found it. Cross referenced with the latest version Natmap Raster 250k. Not there. Well! this is supposed to be the bees knees of all maps. Fat help that is. Cheers,W
AnswerID: 11966

Follow Up By: Member - Paul - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:01

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:01
Starting to look like a case of "suck it and see" !!!!

Over all in our week long adventures around the Port Macquarie region,

We had

2 x Trees over the roads in State and National Parks
1 x Track closed due to landslip indefinately (Forbes Forest Road, Mt Boss State Forest)
3 x 4WD Tracks (Marked on Maps in the Kindee area) closed by locked gate as they went thru private property and due to some of the ridiculous personal liability cliams that are being made the owners are not allowing people on their property. (Words from two of the residents who had their gates locked).

Lot of time spent back tracking !!!!!
But overall had a blast
FollowupID: 6853

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:16
One problem is that most maps around are mid 90's, some are still in the 1980s... Feel lucky to have 2000!

Surveying the country to do the maps by the time they get all the data together, everything would have changed! By the time they do WA, NT and SA, the tracks in Vic and NSW and Qld would have changed.

Tracks change in months not yrs, and would be nice if the Gov could afford to update the data every 12 months, but couldnt imagine the cost.

AnswerID: 11982

Sponsored Links