Chainsaws on the Cape??

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 09:42
ThreadID: 31165 Views:2782 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Guys,

Heading off in July - at the moment rationalising what we do and don't need, and the topic of chainsaws has raised its head..

I reckon it's a fair bet that with the amount of traffic up there now, that we probably wouldn't need one for track clearing - but for that same reason, timber for the campfire might be difficult to find.. (all the easy to retrieve stuff gone already)

Any advice appreciated on whether a saw is worthwhile or not...

Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:02

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:02
Eric from CYC would be the best to answer this question but here is my thoughts.

First is it allowed to carry a chainsaw? Some Nat Parks have some funny ideas. Hoping someone else has a chainsaw can be a bit hit and miss. They might be expecting you to have one.
From what i can remember of the area the trees are not that big, unlike the southern states in there forest areas, so moving a fallen tree might be as simple as dragging it off the track by hand or vehicle.

Having said that i always carry a chainsaw, it has its own space in the back of the Troopie.
I never leave home with out it.

Wayne
AnswerID: 157108

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:12

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:12
Thanks Wayne,

As mentioned above, not too concerned about clearing the road - unless I'm mistaken, that would be unlikely to be an issue given the amount of traffic the place sees. (Unless I'm mistaken ;-)

Question more directed at whether it is worthwhile for obtaining firewood. I'm thinking that majority of firewood is hand collected by the hordes and having a saw would allow the collection of timber they wouldn't be able to get..

Not looking to burn the forest down - just make the job easy ;-)
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

FollowupID: 411315

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:24

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:24
Ivan,

I also have a Bow saw. I use this to cut the small stuff and is a bit more work but a lot quieter. This would be easy to pack.
Now that I think of it I also carry a axe, log splitter, bow saw and chainsaw.

Wayne.

FollowupID: 411320

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:01

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:01
We carry chainsaws when doing our campout Cape tours. We use them to collect fallen timber for our campfires. There ar signs reminding you to collect firewood before a lot of the Cape camping areas. I personally dont carry a chainsaw but I wouldn't go any where without a bow saw for clearing trcks. Its amazing what you can move by cutting half way thru with a bow saw then pulling with a winch extension strap. A bow saw rates very high on my list of necessary accessories. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 411333

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 14:25

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 14:25
I can also recommend the bow saw. Carry it everywhere and much easier than an axe for me.

Just a tip ... bow saws have blades for both dry and wet timber. Ask at your hardware store to make sure you get (at least) one of each. Makes everything so much easier.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

FollowupID: 411365

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:03

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:03
I wiuld have thought you take your own fire wood & leave the old timber to rot for the forest floors or have i got it wrong.
AnswerID: 157109

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:12

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:12
We're going for a month mate - we won't have room to carry firewood...
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

FollowupID: 411316

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:25

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:25
One other problem of carting in firewood is introducing foreign pests/bugs ect to an area., wont be long and cane toads are bound to make their way to Fraser and Moreton islands due to imported firewood.
FollowupID: 411321

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:56

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:56
Cane toads are already there - have been for at least 30 years
FollowupID: 411329

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:58

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:58
Ivan - done the trip twice in the past 4 years (Sep/Oct the first time and Jul/Aug the 2nd time) and never needed to look too far for firewood. There is always enough for cooking and a small campfire near the bush campsites but near the commercial sites it is pretty scarce. Gets too bloody hot to have a raging campfire on the cape anyway. You will not be allowed to you the chainsaw in the designated NPs and it is simple courtesy to ask the locals when you are on Injinoo land.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 411529

Reply By: Jimbo - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:23

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:23
Ivan,

It's the first thing I pack. It's saved our bacon on some pretty hairy tracks more than once.

And, camping without a decent fire; well it just isn't camping.

In the words of Karl "Bumnose" Malden......."Don't leave home without it".

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 157117

Reply By: Pterosaur - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 13:28

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 13:28
G'day Ivan,

I spent a couple of months on the Cape last year, and did not use my axe at all, and only used a saw once.

I used to use and carry a chainsaw, but some years ago came across a "pruning saw" with teeth profiles similar to that of a chainsaw (brand : "Yardvark" - I got mine from a chainsaw supplies store for around $30). They come in 3 different sizes, and the blade folds back into the handle when not in use. I have the smallest (I've been using it for over 10 years), but if I ever decide to get another, I would go for the middle size available.

Since then, I have sold my chainsaw and rely upon this much smaller and more convenient handsaw. This saw cannot be compared to a bow saw, as it is vastly superior, cutting more quickly, and with less effort than any bow saw available (and I've tried pretty much all that are available. over the years). I have used it here in Tas. to clear the heads of (large) trees from tracks on several occasions, cutting through limbs up to 800mm., with a fraction of the effort (and none of the blade problems) needed when using a bow saw.

Check them out - it's the best solution I've come across.

regards
Terry
AnswerID: 157141

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:05

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:05
800mm!!!!
That is a big limb for a hand saw. Did you mean 80mm (which is still over 3 inches).

Either way, I'll see if I can find one of these saws. Sound good and the blade folding into the handle should be great for storage.
FollowupID: 411515

Follow Up By: Pterosaur - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:56

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:56
G'day Norm

OOPS ! (grin)

just having a "seniors moment" there - I meant about 200mm or 8", of course - although I reckon the biggest one would just about do 800mm (with a bit of grunt !) - much easier on green timber too.

Seriously, though, I reckon they're one of the most useful items I've ever come across - mine has seen a lot of use, and never been sharpened (not to say it wouldn't benefit from a sharpen though)

cya
Terry
FollowupID: 411583

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:00

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:00
Terry (Pterosaur), I agree with you completely as I have travelled with the same type saw for years and have never had the need for a chain saw.For lighter scrub I also use a very sharp machete which works very well.
AnswerID: 157149

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:44

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:44
Ivan I have never carried a chain saw I only carry a bow saw and axe.

There is plenty of fallen timber around.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 157271

Sponsored Links