Water crossings in the Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:11
ThreadID: 31203 Views:2052 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip to the Flinders Ranges in our Mazda Tribute. Thing that bothers me is the precarious air intake - forward facing behind grill / headlight. We are wondering what conditions are like there and would our vehicle (or a Territory, as we have considered one of these) potentially have trouble.
Do we need to consider something more suitable such as an Xtrail (proper air intake) or even a Prado?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:34

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:34
Generally water crossings in the Flinders rarely wet your wheels!

But then, you might happen to be there when there is a lot of water flowing.

It's a pretty dry place - generally.

Chamber's Gorge can get a bit deep at times and Brachina and Bunyeroo Gorges occasionally - clearance can sometimes be a problem in those areas in the dry however. There are a couple of crossings into Aroona Valley and Brachina Gorge that get reasonably deep at times, but usually only not much of a drama.

When it does rain, deep water is usually short lived - it is the wash aways and road closures that are more the problem.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 157286

Follow Up By: Dean (SA) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:04

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:04
Gday Andrew,
I reckon Ive seen that vivid adventures car around the unley area abit lateley, would that be right?
I dont reckon I saw an eo sticker!
Dean
FollowupID: 411571

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:18

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:18
G'Day Dean

Good to know that the mean green shootin' machine is seen - do stop me and grab a fridge magnet and make yourself known (I live in Malvern) - oh, and pay close attention to the little white stick on the back driver's side!

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 411575

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 13:10

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 13:10
I have seen with my own eyes a Tribute being stopped by 300 - 400mm of water (dead calm)....
Like Mr Vivid said,,, you will be lucky to see any water...
AnswerID: 157294

Follow Up By: cuffs - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 15:38

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 15:38
If you are worried put a tarp over your front grill to create a wake or even a stocking over your air intake.
FollowupID: 411559

Reply By: Steve & Mish - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 19:02

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 19:02
Thanks Andrew, that has kind of put our minds at ease about using the Mazda for this trip. I is a good car in so many other areas, it is a shame it has this major shortcoming.
Good to be aware of it, thanks to to Voxson.
We will be very wary of even a puddle and carry a tarp for the front, but wonder how much protection this will provide. I guess if we are able to keep momentum / bow wave, should be OK.
Cuffs, does that stocking idea work? wouldn't the water push past it?
AnswerID: 157341

Follow Up By: Dave198 - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:58

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:58
G'day Steve & Mish,
I have been through Brachina a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't much water in there then, certainly nothing for you to worry about. Bunyeroo was closed due to park maintainance, but I would suspect no more than a few puddles in there.
I go there quite regularly on tours and the last two years the creeks have been mainly dry.
I you are in doubt about the depth, judst hang back and somebody will come along in a Commodore or Falcon and you can watch them go through there and judge for yourself.
It is only just after some really heavy rain that the creeks might be a bit rough, but the graders are reasonably quick getting through there and cleaning up after a storm.
Dave
FollowupID: 411629

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:54

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:54
We were there in October and barely wet the rims. Did Bunyeroo and Brachina.

Contrary to the guide books (even the latest R & V Moon one) nearly if not all the bush camping spots in both of the above spots now have loos and even a small rainwater tank off the info stand and loo rooves.

They look fairly new, and they are great. I wish Parks Vic would do the same in some of the bush camps along the Murray. Makes the $7 bucks for the night worthwhile.

We camped in the 4wd sites at Brachina East and left there the next day just as the rain started to fall. Drove all day to Arkaroola in heavyish rain.

Talking to others that came up the next day before the roads closed to Arkaroola the water in the deepest bits of Brachina were wheel arch deep on the troopy. Would have made for a very long trip out of the spot we were in at Brachina East. We'd probably have stayed and extra day or so.

The day before we had driven Brachina thinking how impressive it would have been in a good wet, and we missed seeing it by 24 hours. That's life.

All in all from what I can work out that's an occurrence which occurs if lucky a few times a year.

Go in the Tribute there's nothing on the main tracks that will challenge it apart from some corrugated bits. If you are unlucky enough to encounter rain the crossings that will be an issue will be extremely obvious. If you are unsure walk it.

If you are lucky enough to see it wet I reckon it would be fantastic.

By the way. The joy flight is worth the money out of Wilpena. Absolutely fantastic. Gives you a perspective of the Pound, the gorges and ABC range unable to be gained from the ground.

Dave
AnswerID: 157369

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:49

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:49
I had a Tribute - bough it just after they came onto the market. Be extremely careful when crossing uneven, rocky ground. I wrote mine off when the front engine mounting (transvers engine - there is one at the front behind the bumper bar) hit a partially covered rock on a beach; broke a piece of the rock that rolled under vehicle eventually doing $15k (yes - $15,000:00) worth of damage. The underbody protection is woefully inadequate for off road. Don't know about it's ability to drown! Amazingly, the vehicle drove back to Adelaide from Yorke Peninsular as if nothing had happened! I didn't realise the extent of the damage until I had a look underneath when I got home.
(It was a fantastic car to drive on the bitumen and dirt roads).
AnswerID: 157539

Follow Up By: Steve & Mish - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 17:38

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 17:38
Very sad story. Yes they are great on the black top and for trips to the snow, it's a shame they arn't just a tad more suited to moderate track driving.
15K, surly not a write off if fairly new? Did insurance come to the party?
FollowupID: 411856

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:56

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:56
I should have explained - that was just the parts!.....seriously! Definitely a write off

The Insurers gave me a new one under their 'less that 1 year old' discretion.

R

George
AnswerID: 157592

Sponsored Links