CSR - refuelling info

Submitted: Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 13:25
ThreadID: 31208 Views:2305 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Current edition of Overlander has an article by Vic Widman on the CSR. I was surprised to read that Vic says the refuelling option at Kunawaritji is "unreliable" and the airdrop option (Capricorn Roadhouse) is the best plan. He says you should advise Kunawaritji a couple of weeks in advance of your needs. Does this only apply to convoys and the like, or smaller orders eg. two vehicles?

This advice is contrary to a lot of other info I've read / heard ie. Kunawaritji is a reliable fuel stop. One would think Mr. Widman knows his onions? My CSR trip commences first week of May so keen to clarify. Feedback welcomed.

Miker.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 13:33

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 13:33
Depends on the amount of fuel you are carrying. Its possible to by-pass Kunawaritji as far as fuel goes, and just use the Capricorn fuel drop.
AnswerID: 157297

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 13:57

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 13:57
Miker,

This site might help

http://www.dia.wa.gov.au/Land/Permits/FuelAndSupplies.aspx

The important things to remember is the hours that Well 33 is open and that they do not take credit cards.

When I was there last year, Vic ordered fuel for the convey and it was $2.00lt from Capricorn Roadhouse and $2.20lt from Well33.

The fuel is delivered by road to Well23 and your name is on the top of the 205lt drum, hand pumps are there but we took our own.

As far as I know Vic will be doing the same when i go there again in June.

We do the trip from south to north.

Wayne
AnswerID: 157303

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 14:45

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 14:45
G'day Miker,
I haven't read that article but Vic is right.
At least on my last trip in 2004 we also had a problem and were sitting at Well 33 for 3 days before fuel was delivered to the Community.
I had 6 cars in my group und we had advised the community of our needs well before we even started our trip.
They told us there that the problem is not so much the Tag Along groups but many single cars and 2-3 car groups that come in to refill but rarely ever advised of their needs prior to their trips.
I'll see how we go this year.
Here during our enforced rest at well 33.

Have a good trip,
Mike
AnswerID: 157309

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 16:37

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 16:37
I have heard reports including one from a Tagalong Tour operator of fuel going missing from the fuel drop point where Capricorn Roadhouse road the fuel into.

It was also our understanding based on discussion last year that now that Kunnawarritji was so reliable (in hours and not on Sundays) that the guy from Capricorn Roadhouse was considering ceasing the service.

Particularly if you are travelling North South if your fuel was missing when you got to the drop point you are in a spot of bother. I would have thought that was a bigger issue than the reliability of Well 33.

Luckily our three drums were there. As was the tagalongs we met further down the track which they were happy to hear after their previous experience. (From memory I think they said several drums were gone or had been seriously depleted.)

Also I'd not be going to the fuel drop planning on relying on the hand pumps there. They looked decidedly second hand. We used the large size jiggler hoses and one of our guys made a transfer arrangement using two 12 volt lift pumps in parallel before we left.

Dave
FollowupID: 411568

Reply By: miker - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:30

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:30
Good feedback, thanks guys. My first preference, simply for convenience is Kunawaritji. I'll sus it out over the next few days and give the actual community a call to get some direct feedback. My thinking is that being May (early in the season) the more modest traffic flow may reduce the draw down on supplies lessening potential issues. Food for thought.

Wayne, is there a cost for the drum or is it simply part of the fuel cost package?

Miker

(VKS - Quebec 0363)
AnswerID: 157323

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:49

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:49
Hi Dave and Miker,
I also have heard of Diesel getting pinched at the fuel dump, but never 1st hand :-)
I picked up fuel there about 6 times and never had a problem.

You don't get charged for the drum. They collect the empties when they deliver the next lot.
Taking your own pump is certainly advisable.

I'll take a chance on getting our fuel at the Kunawaritji community.
Remember, they don't take credit cards.
( will that change? I don't know.)
No fuel on sundays and only 1/2 day I think on saturdays.
Cheers,
Mike
AnswerID: 157325

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:30

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:30
Apparently, and from the number of drums strewn the length of the Canning I'd believe it, the problem of drums being lifted and the guy ending up out of pocket for the drum deposit is one of the issues he has with providing the service.

Dunno where people put one, there was no way we'd have had room for a drum even if we were that way inclined.

If it's still the Kiwi's running the show at Kunnawarritji I'm sure they'll be very helpfull.

Dave
FollowupID: 411619

Reply By: V8Diesel - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 18:23

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 18:23
Good post.

Just to add to the mix here, has anyone had any experience with petrol (PULP preferably) as distinct from diesel at these locations?

If drums are going missing, I'm a little concerned that a cheeky little 'vintage unwooded PULP' may be a bit more of a theft risk than diesel. Any reports?

I am aware of the trip pages, just interested in recent specifics.

Cheers
AnswerID: 157335

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 19:03

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 19:03
Just a bit more on petrol. When we refuelled at Well23 I saw drums of unleaded and high octane unleaded. High octane unleaded is not available at Well33, there is only one pump and that is for straight unleaded.

Wayne
FollowupID: 411595

Reply By: KimPrado - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:31

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:31
Miker,

Mark is right. Don't rely on any information posted on this forum that is based on a singular experience. All re-fuelling in isolated areas can't be a given (for a number of reason).

Take a HF or Sat phone with you and ring the fuel point on your way up (not a couple of months before you leave). Both the Kimberley and Pilbara can be subject to extreme weather (summer and winter) which will impact on fuel deliveries.

Hope this helps

Kim
AnswerID: 157363

Reply By: Phil P - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 00:08

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 00:08
I had no problems buying fuel last September, however the shop/shed is closed at lunch time, so try and time it to get there before or after lunch, however the shop was virtually empty of supplies. I was hoping to purchase more drinking water and they were totally sold out of most items.

AnswerID: 157425

Reply By: Eric M - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 01:01

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 01:01
My experiences on the CSR have been good ones. We have rung them at Kunawaritji a month before we left and again prior to leaving Halls Creek to confirm . Food supplies at Kunawaritji is also short and if you give them enough notice they will keep an extra couple of loaves of bread, albeit frozen.

The fuel dump at well 23 was popular but I have not heard of any theft until now. If that is the case then we have some low lifes travelling the CSR.
They won't introduce credit or efpos at K because of the debt run up by the community.
A little info for those travelling the CSR. WA track care is going to remove the date palms from Durba springs due to the amout of water they suck up. They are having a detrimental effect on the natural springs.
An information type shelter will be erected at Georgie bore including environmentally friendly toilets. The info will be similar to what is erected at Halls Creek and Wiluna.
EricM WA
AnswerID: 157432

Sponsored Links