Tacho in diesel

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 10:52
ThreadID: 31240 Views:1705 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Ok, my entry-level 80 series LC luck of tacho. What are my options? So far all after-market tacho what I seen pick-up from ignition :-(. Only one model (VDO from top of memory) can pick up from alternator, but it is ridiculously expensive (~200 for base model). Retrofitting factory one also not cheap at all – I am just scared to quote instrument cluster from more upmarket mode, plus compatibility issues remains and plus my fuel pump also luck speed sender :-(. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 11:11

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 11:11
I'm in exactly the same boat. Not so much a problem when just cruising around but I would like to know what revs I'm doing when working it hard in soft sand for instance. Looking forward to the responses.
AnswerID: 157486

Reply By: Rigor - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:42

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:42
May take a bit of mucking about but . What diesels lack, as you know is a source of an impulse . You could fashion an opto isolator or similar device near your main pully and have it straddle 2 slots to give you the impulses you require . If you are not into electronics it may be a bit difficult so ask around at jaycar or the like

Remembering that if you have a 4 cylinder it depends on 2 impulses per revolution of the crankshaft
If you have a 6 cylinder it depends on 3 impulses per revolution of the crankshaft.
Hope I havn't confused you but this may give you something to start with.

Dave L
AnswerID: 157509

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 15:48

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 15:48
the 75 series LC use a magnetic pickup that senses the teeth of the ring gear whizz by to determine engine revs.
IMO something like this could be retrofitted if the right place on the bell housing to fit the sensor is found.
perhaps a trip to the wreckers to get a pickup and a little experimentation with an aftermarket tacho might work?
Optical pickups, as mentioned above, also work but are far more prone to misbehaving due mud/ water/ sand, etc. getting on the sensors.
Klaus
FollowupID: 411814

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 15:50

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 15:50
check www.lcool.org

You say that only one that you found is expensive $200 isnt expensive for a VDO Gauge. VDO are also TOP quality, so you pay for what you get.

ALso if its the only one, why wouldnt it be expensive? You cant go elsewhere.
AnswerID: 157550

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 19:06

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 19:06
I've posted this before, but here it is again.
I had the same problem with the Humvee (6.2l V8 diesel), although it does have a tacho output for a milspec test box nothing local could read the output.
After a search on the net I found the Tiny Tach (www.tinytach.com)
Works on any diesel engine, gives total running hours, two service intervals (time based) and maximum revs reached as well as RPM in single rev increments.
Just clamp the sensor on any injector line, hook up the ground wire and connect power (anything from 9v battery up).
It powers on and off automatically(detects revs).
The only downside I've found is that it has no light for nighttime use which I solved by mounting a red led in front of it and masking the led so it only lit the display up.
mine has worked perfectly for nearly two years now.
they also make them for single cylinder 2 strokes as well as any other motor.
cost $us65 from memory, ended up being about $au100 inc postage by the time it arrived.
I have no affiliation except as a satisfied customer.
Peter
AnswerID: 157593

Follow Up By: Nick R - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 20:05

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 20:05
I bought an irrigation pump off Veldonas in sunshine, melbourne, it had one of these fitted so the must be available somewhere in oz too, Thinking I might do this too with the 60 series, the tacho wiring seems to be non existent.
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 411896

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 21:44

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 21:44
Yes you can buy them from the aussie agent, they are around $AU240 from memory, way too much markup for my thinking.
Do a search on Tiny tach and you'll find out who has them locally.
You can also buy them on ebay, also more expensive than buying direct from the manufacturer.
FollowupID: 411924

Follow Up By: Nick R - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 08:01

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 08:01
Interesting, thanks.
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 412049

Sponsored Links