Flinders Ranges?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 11:07
ThreadID: 31242 Views:2188 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Contemplating a trip to the Flinders Ranges this winter. Well, sometime between June and November.
We know nothing of this area. Yes, we have read the trek notes. But from previous experience have found that the inhabitants of this forum are a wealth of local knowledge.
So, the question is, what to see what to do? Will have about a two week trip with a week in the area.
Have a capable 4wd and same camper.
Will come from the Mildura or Broken Hill direction and return same way.
Can camp by tent if thought better.
I don't even know what other questions to be aware of, so any ideas appreciated.

Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OldMike - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:13

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:13
Sorry, just noticed thread 31065

Mike
AnswerID: 157502

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:28

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:28
Since I was last there the place has been opened up alot with pya as you go 4wd routes. Alot of people bag Wipena pound for being too touristy but I reckon that is like saying Uluru isnt worth seeing because it is too comercialized. It is worth a night in the campgrounds after doing the fantastic walk that takes you to the middle of the pound then up the inner rim to the top where you can look inside the pound and then outside where expansive views of the Flinders are to be had. If you still have energy you can keep going up to the top of St Marys Peak and then down the outer rim then followng the outer rim of the pound through the scrub and back to the campsite. Trust me after this all you will want is a cold beer at the resort and a soft bed but it is well worthwhile. This walk is easily followed anda map of this and other walks is freely available
AnswerID: 157520

Reply By: Dave198 - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:54

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:54
G'day OldMike, suggest if you are going via Broken Hill, maybe you might like to go Via Yunta and up the Arkaroola Rd to just past Curnamona and then t/left through Martins Wells. That will bring you out right opposite the Rawnsley Park campground entrance.
Nice drive through the ranges especially from about Martins Wells.
Please yourself about campgrounds ,Rawnsley Park and Wilpena are both good. There are plenty of areas in the National Park too.
Also as Davoe said, plenty of 4WD tracks too.
Dave
AnswerID: 157526

Reply By: Barnesy - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 20:45

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 20:45
Do an archive search. Several other threads have been answered on this very issue with detailed responses. Type in wilpena, arkaroola, flinders, etc.
My only piece of advice is take your time and soak in the atmosphere of the area, don't try and fill your days completely so you are running around all day.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 157613

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:24

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:24
Get yourself the hema flinders ranges map as a starting point.
FollowupID: 412288

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 20:46

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 20:46
The recommendation to check the posts is probably the best one as there are plenty of quite recent ones regarding trips to and around the Flinders. Same old recommendation for me for those new to the area. Get the RAA Flinders and Outback maps as they give you plenty of information for planning trips and tracks. Plenty of properties offer a full range of acommodation including camping and act as great bases to travel from on day trips and you can do a lot of the tracks in a decent day. Anytime after October is getting hot. Our contacts up there are saying the temperature has been in the high 40C for this year and was getting very warm for our last trip in December 05. If you want a quite time then stay away during the long weekends and school holidays as the place is packed. Apart from that enjoy your first taste of the Flinders you will be back

Regards

Rob
AnswerID: 157915

Sponsored Links