GU LWB Suspension

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:22
ThreadID: 31246 Views:2668 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Folks
Looking to spend some more money on the forby and interested in your opinions.
2005 GU LWB 3.0. Used as daily transport. Also tow an offroad camper trailer weighing 750 dry. Do mostly club trips, nothing too knarly. Running 33" muds for trips and std wheels/tyres during the week.

Std springs flop around too much, even at sane speeds round town.

The recent test in 4x4 seemed to indicate that most brands were fairly average when operating hot except for the $200+ per shock items.
Is there anything that is particularly suited to the GU LWB or is it much of a muchness? Appreciate your opinions.

Thanks
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:29

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:29
Same answer as given on other forums.
AnswerID: 157521

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 15:46

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 15:46
OME LTR's or Koni + Dobinson springs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reply I posted a while ago, some doesnt relate, but lots does.

50mm is limit in Qld and WA is becoming hard. Vic is nearly impossible to get engineers at the moment on lift kits..

Insurance jumps in $ and becomes very hard to find with over 75mm lift with lots of insurance companies. some even have a limit of 50mm and a few wont allow any lift at all.

You need an engineers certification to go 4inch or more which is becoming hard.
So start there.

What is the optimum lift? You can gauge that answer from these few questions. There is NO optimum lift answer really, there are too many variables.

Why do you need a lift? You need it or you want it?
What is your budget?
What sort of wheeling do you do?
Where do you wheel most? Outback? Mountains? Mud? Rocks?
How heavy is your truck fully loaded?
Do you tow regularly? What do you tow? How heavy is what you tow?
How many people usually travel in car?
What is the car mainly used for? Weekdays, occasional weekender? Weekend warrior only?
What accessories do you have fitted? Heavy front end, heavy rear with LRT, wheel carriers etc
What accessories do plan to have fitted in future?
What size tires do you run?
What size tires do you plan to run?

There is no hard and fast answer to the "optimum" lift size, there are numerous variables but you can get a start from these questions...

IMHO, with a GU, considering you can fit 36's with a 3inch lift, you dont really need more than that unless your truck weight 4.5ton like Roachies and tows the QE2.

What is good what is bad in Shocks and Springs??
You will get - and + stories on every single brand of shock and spring out there.

Shocks:
IMHO, you cant go wrong with OME Nitrochargers for the price, backup, warranty, and service.
If your after the better quality, go with LTR's, they are great. I run them with a 4nich lift and love them.

If you want the best in shocks, go KONI but you will pay for it. I have run them with a 2inch lift in the past, and would run them again tomorrow.

TJM XGS is very good also for the price. Again, I have run these when I had only the 2inch lift.

I had ranchos with a 6+inch lift, and they died 4 times, and others in our club have suffered same fate on GQ/GUs

Springs:
Dobinson or Kings are the best, tell them the answers to all the questions above and they can match a set of springs and shocks together, which is the most important part - MATCHED SHOCKS AND SPRINGS!

Good luck.
FollowupID: 411812

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:48

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:48
OME springs and shocks with Polly Air in the rear works really well for me.
AnswerID: 157524

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:06

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:06
I use Lovells springs and TJM XGS shocks. Springs are 5" rear and 4" in front. I've removed both anti-sway bars for better wheel articulation and have Polyairs in the back. I do a reasonable amount of bush track and corrogated road driving and the XGS are holding up well. Previously I had Konis and they were good too. (I gave them to Brew69 and he's had them rebuilt and now uses them on his GQ).
The removal of the anti-sway bars is not the right thing to do (for insurance and ADR reasons etc), but the increased body roll is minimal and the increase in articulation is much appreciated in gnarly situations, oftening meaning that the front diff ,ocker doesn't need to be engaged.
My next shocks will probably be one of those with the remote extra reserviour (spell check, where are you????), but I'll be steering well clear of the adjustable type (Rancho, etc)
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 157530

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:10

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:10
Mike

Left the OEM springs in and fitted OME shock absorbers with PolyAirs in the rear. Tows well and handles corrugations fine. Will replace the springs when they sag.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 157532

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:50

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:50
Mate, looking at your ride height they are sagged now.
FollowupID: 411803

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 16:29

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 16:29
I've had Ridepro shocks and Dobinson springs fitted now for about 30,000km. 2-3" lift. Works fine. No need for polyairs with the Ultimate attached.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 157559

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 16:37

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 16:37
I Have OME all around on my troopcarrier and love em and i carry up to 360 lts diesel and 80 of water , car handles real good
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 157564

Reply By: GGL - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:36

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:36
Hi Mike

Take another look at the Edelbrock. I know they are expensive but hey are a seriously good shock. Heat kills shocks and Edelbrock is the coolest running shock in the market and that means longeviety and performance. They also have a limited lifetime warranty. Have a chat with Sean at ABT4x4.com (02 6291 5994). He was involved in the testing of the various shocks for the 4x4 article and knows his suspension stuff. He will give you a straight answer.

I am ex Territorian having lived there for 30 years and travelled extensively there and over most of Oz. I have Edelbrock on my Hyundai (great value unit) having previously owned a Patrol and TD5 and Discovery V8 and others. I have done 30k in last 6 months much of it heavy towing and they are great.

Many shocks in the market are rubbish with little longeviety or performance- essentially you get what you pay for - dont let full page ads in mags fool you. You rarely go wrong when you buy good quality. Edelbrock, Bilstien and Koni are quality with the valving of the edelbrock giving the it the advantage
AnswerID: 157768

Follow Up By: Hero - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:20

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:20
Too bad the "testing" mob were the importer for Edelbrock, of coarse the Edelbrock shows out best, of coarse all the other brands got a bagging.
FollowupID: 412081

Follow Up By: GGL - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:25

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:25
Hi Hero

I understand from the article that 4x4 did the the shock measurements, in car testing and reporting of the testing results. Yes it would appear that the Edelbrock did show out the best next to the Bilstein. By the way it was disappointing Koni was not one of the test shocks.

I dont think the article did bag all the other brands in fact the article really missed an opportunity to offer a comparision comment on all the shocks tested.

Regardless of where the testing was done it was apparently done on an internationally recognised dyno testing programme and machine.
My point is if you buy quality products generally yoiu will be rewarded with better performance and longeviety.

GGL
FollowupID: 412094

Follow Up By: Hero - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:48

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:48
I agree, One thing I did think of when reading the artical was the lack of actual data, tests were obviously performed on dyno`s but published as opinions. was looking forward to maybe having some graph comparo`s. The debate on shock absorbers still reins unsolved. there is no doubt that the higher priced units are very good performers, only a fool would argue otherwise. Just wish the test was performed by an independant place, so the obvious Edelbrock advertising is not inserted into the artical, when no other suspension part was detailed like the Edelbrock.
FollowupID: 412119

Reply By: GGL - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:43

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:43
Hi Mike

Take another look at the Edelbrock. I know they are expensive but hey are a seriously good shock. Heat kills shocks and Edelbrock is the coolest running shock in the market and that means longeviety and performance. They also have a limited lifetime warranty. Have a chat with Sean at ABT4x4.com (02 6291 5994). He was involved in the testing of the various shocks for the 4x4 article and knows his suspension stuff. He will give you a straight answer.

Many shocks in the market are rubbish with little longeviety or performance- essentially you get what you pay for - dont let full page ads in mags seduce you. You rarely go wrong when you buy good quality. Edelbrock, Bilstien and Koni are all quality. It is the valving of the Edelbrock that enables it to run cooler which gives it the advantage.

I am ex Territorian having lived there for 30 years and travelled extensively there and over most of Oz. I have Edelbrock on my Hyundai (great value unit) having previously owned a Patrol and TD5 and Discovery V8 and others. I have done 30k in last 6 months much of it heavy towing and they have been great.

GGL
AnswerID: 157769

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:45

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:45
WOW GGL!
Going by all that self promoting dribble I think you had better go and stand in line behind your mates Bill. S. and Derek. and wait your turn.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 412087

Follow Up By: GGL - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:03

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:03
Hi Pezza

Just the facts mate. Glad to see that you run Koni. Good shocks.

GGL
FollowupID: 412089

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:59

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:59
Just wondering if GGL is Gordon Lee - Aussie Boys Toys? (ABT)
Who conducted the test in 4x4 Australia and are the Edelbrock importer?

Are you being a little bias?
FollowupID: 412123

Follow Up By: DARREN - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 13:29

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 13:29
GGL's possible undisclosed hidden agenda and self testing circus cast a shadow of doubt on integrity if you ask me.

Personally I like this disclaimer from their web site:

"All products sold and manufactured by ABT are for off-road use only."

FollowupID: 412128

Follow Up By: GGL - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:27

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:27
Hi Crazie

Fair question. Yes Sean Lee at ABT 4x4 is my son. No I dont believe I have disiplayed any bias. This is my second posting on the site in 12 months and I was responding to Mike's request.

The testing for the magazine article was done by 4x4 Aust together with Suspension Technology Aust. who are the Australian Importer for Edelbrock shocks. ABT had no input into the actual testing or reporting.

ABT works with STA on the development of shock systems and suspension components. ABT supplied the labour forthe various suspension changes for the article. ABT sells Fox, Swayaway, BBC and Edelbrock shocks. ABT also recommends Bilstien and Koni and will also supply these if required.

I was up front when I suggested Mike speak to Sean at ABT. He knows about suspension components and he gives sound advice to those who seek information. Callers can make make up the own mind.

Personally as I said to Hero "I think the article failed to give a comparison of the shocks and did not include Koni" and "Regardless of where the testing was done it was apparently done on an internationally recognised dyno testing programme and machine".and "if you buy quality products you will be rewarded with better performance and longevity"

This latter was the point I was making to Mike initially. Edelbrock Bilstein and Koni are quality products and the added initial expense in purchasing a quality product will be recouped over the long term.

My suggestion to Mike still stands.

GGL
FollowupID: 412183

Follow Up By: DARREN - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:34

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:34
"I was up front when I suggested Mike speak to Sean at ABT"

LOL!!

From the dictionary:

Adjective: upfront úp'frúnt
Frank and honest
"he was upfront about his intentions"

Being up front would have included disclosure of family ties
FollowupID: 412185

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:46

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:46
Dear GGL

All good. Just wondered

cheers

Ads
FollowupID: 412189

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 13:35

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 13:35
I like my OME stuff.

IMO , they offer good value for money , from a known company.

AnswerID: 157831

Sponsored Links