Triton after-market turbo

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:31
ThreadID: 31252 Views:1839 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recently posted a request for information from contributors regarding the retro-fitting of a turbo to a Triton. I received some very helpful replies and I eventually decided to have a Schwitzer fitted (Denco) by Adelaide Turbo Services (A.T.S) at Mitchell Park in Adelaide. I’ve only 60 odd kms since I got it back from Bill Keen (the proprietor) so it’s early days but the fitting has been done to a very high standard. The unit has made it a ‘new’ vehicle – the extra/torque power is very even throughout the whole rev’ range but it doesn’t feel (or sound) as if it’s straining or being stressed.
I had a look at the sump when I was underneath greasing the prop shaft and not only has it been re-fitted with plenty of gasket cement but each bolt has had some applied too – like old time skills and competence! Bill also replaced a blown reversing globe and the (knackered) windscreen wipers – no labour charge for those items or charge for the globe - just the cost of the wiper blades. The cost of the unit and fitting was a little more than the other SA Denco dealer (who is in the country so not so convenient for me although was highly recommended in the forum replies) but Bill’s price includes a re-tune at 500kms and I don’t think the other one did. All in all I wish I’d done this when I first bought the vehicle – I’m sure it will make sand driving and overtaking easier and safer.
I have no connection in any way with Bill Keen's business.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TPM (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 21:51

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 21:51
G'day George,

Sounds like you are happy with the new purchase and service. Its always good to hear about reputable businesses.

Post another update later it will be interesting to note fuel usage differences of before and after.

Happy motoring !
AnswerID: 157652

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:00

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:00
Good to hear. That snail does make a difference.
Intercooler as well?

Is it a 2.5 or 2.8 diesel? Any power figures?

Sorry, too many questions.

I went through this debate when I bought this pajero, whether to get the non turbo GL and add an aftermarket turbo or the turbo GLX. The test drive at the time sort of persuaded me, because there wasn't much difference in cost.

Now I am wondering how many more Ks left in this turbo and wondering about a replacement. 300,000k up soon.

AnswerID: 157763

Follow Up By: AdlelaideGeorge - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 14:27

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 14:27
Hi OddPlodder

It's a 2.8 diesel - 1997 build - M4 I think - the handbook's at home.

The power was recorded on a rolling road after the installation at 52KW. Bill said that this compares well to the 80kw odd maximum power reported by Denco on the test bench - you deduct 35% from that figure to get the power at the wheels. The figure was at 80km/hr I think but I'm going from memory - the paperwork's at home. Whatever the figure is it makes a difference!!!!!! I'ts not extreme but I didn't want that - just enough to get through the sand easier and to help on the highway. The one thing I don't want to do is 'break' the motor prematurely.

R

George
FollowupID: 412151

Sponsored Links