Garmin GPSmap 60cs

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 15:50
ThreadID: 31255 Views:2105 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone use a Garmin GPSmap 60cs, looking at getting on to replace an Garmin GPS12. Interseted in knowing what sort of topo maps are available for this unit and what they look like.

Being a new generation of GPS do these GPS's work better than the old ones under tree cover or in the mountains?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 16:32

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 16:32
I use a Garmin Quest and a Garmin GPS Map 176C and both loose it in thick forest or amid tall city buildings with narrow streets and both have external antennae but that does not happen much and then only a short time
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 157561

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:09

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:09
i think most if not all hand helds would suffer the same fate in those situations
FollowupID: 411866

Reply By: ROBST - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 19:55

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 19:55
I was talking to the guy from GPSOZ on saturday looking at the same GPS my self.
He said there will be a new one to replace that model in about 6 months.
supposed to be more features etc etc
May be worth the wait and the price may come down on the old model???
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 157606

Reply By: arthurking83 - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 20:49

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 20:49
As ROBST said.....

Garmin have recently (mid Jan!!) introduced a newer model GPSMap, Lengend, etc.... called the 'x' models!
Same as the rst of the range, but with the added x in the model name.
This means they have removable memory cards (micro SD cards)

The Map60 and 76 models got the "new generation" SirfIII chipset but the smaller handhelds, etrex type models did not.

The GPSMap models (in fact most current Aussie Garmins suffer from "old tech" chipsets!!)

BUT the main feature of the newly released models( about to be released in Aus) is the use of removable cards for map loading!!!

Magellan and Lowrance have used this system for over 3-4 years(??) yet Garmin only just introduced it ?:/

So the improved (but about 500%) reception fropm the new GPS chipset, plus the ability to load 512Meg of maps (as opposed to Garmins currently pathetic 8-100meg!!) will make the new models worth waiting for!

Think of it this way........
why replace your existing reciever with a tarted up model based on the same design, when you could get the latest generation for just a few bucks more?

Be warned though!!
What I was reading in the US GPS forums, Garmin were "leaning heavily" on the online stores that were discounting the new models.....and they all responded with price hikes with minutes of each other....all to the same price!!
Seems Garmin wantedto keep the lower spec models selling by not allowing the price gap to get too close.
I had seen one online seller advertising the GPSMap60CSX for about US$409, but then come into line with Garmins pricing policy......of........ US$499!!

AnswerID: 157616

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 22:23

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 22:23
I have the GPS Map60CS and a mate of mine just got the GPS Map60CSx sent over from the states. He is a Marine Wholesaler and wanted to compare to see if it was worth getting a heap of them in.

We both agree the mini SD card has no real advantage over the old model other than a bit more memory. Mine has just 55meg and I have not quite filled it with all of the Bluecharts, Metroguide and T4A loaded but when the topo's are available it might be a different story.
Still I have never found it to be a problem just installing the maps I need from the laptop depending on the activity I am doing.

Brett
FollowupID: 411955

Sponsored Links